• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Hurricanes, R13, AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yeah it's his standard opening gambit. one day he might even be correct. I hope its this week

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Haha. I exhausted my creative punditry early in the season and am now relying on the law of averages eventually working in my favour.

Honestly, not as confident as I was about the Shorks last Friday.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
This will be a tough one for the Rebs. Burgess probably back on the bench---aaargh----couldn't believe he was pulled off at half time on Friday. Hegarty may develop into a great super 15 player but god I wished we had an experienced no. 10!.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
This will be a tough one for the Rebs. Burgess probably back on the bench---aaargh----couldn't believe he was pulled off at half time on Friday. Hegarty may develop into a great super 15 player but god I wished we had an experienced no. 10!.

Nic is injured, TEX is banned from attending this one so we win.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Smith starts our pack has a chance, don't think Cruze can dominate a pack. Still don't put him ahead of Lahiff.

English needs to find some form, has been very quiet the last few weeks, actually seems when he has a good game we win, when his quite we just don't have that attacking punch out wide.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Thought Cruz did OK against a bloody tough pack on the weekend, but still think Max is better for smashing those rucks and his mobility. Looked good when he came on the weekend.

Match ups for mew will be marking that bloody massive winger Savea, Barrett and the flanker Lam. Savea is just a bloody massive unit, if you give him too much of a run up not even a panzer will stop him. Barrett is a clever little general who will back himself - Bryce will have his work cut out for him. Lam has come accross as one of those annoying flankers who seems to be at the base of every ruck and pilfering with good effect.

If someone can take out that yappy little corgi Halfback (kerr-barlow I think) i think you will be doing the world a good service. Only watched the last 30 of the 'Tahs match and he was more annoying than a 'sold out' sign at a all-you-can-eat buffet. Reckon Burgess can sort that one out...

I'm with Tex on this one, Rebs to win. Why not. We did it here last time against them. My choice is based on no scientific facts or player stats; just a bloody good smash of the rugby god pinata.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If someone can take out that yappy little corgi Halfback (kerr-barlow I think) i think you will be doing the world a good service. Only watched the last 30 of the 'Tahs match and he was more annoying than a 'sold out' sign at a all-you-can-eat buffet. Reckon Burgess can sort that one out.

I'm with Tex on this one, Rebs to win. Why not. We did it here last time against them. My choice is based on no scientific facts or player stats; just a bloody good smash of the rugby god pinata.

Oz,
If you can find a replay somewhere you should watch the whole game. It had everything from an Izzy howler conceding a try to some absolutely sublime running rugby from both teams, only a few scrums and those that happened were relatively clean. I will be keeping that game on the hard drive for sure.

A win to the Rebels this week would be a real feather in the cap. The Canes are playing top class rugby (have been ever since they dished up the Crusaders) and a win would probably consign the Reds the conference wooden spoon. Nice thought, but a relatively close loss is the more likely outcome.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Hurricanes

1. Reggie Goodes
2. Dane Coles
3. Ben Franks
4. Jeremy Thrush/Blade Thomson
5. James Broadhurst
6. Faifili Levave
7. Ardie Savea
8. Victor Vito
9. TJ Perenara
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Julian Savea
12. Alapati Leiua
13. Conrad Smith (c)
14. Cory Jane
15. Andre Taylor

16. Motu Matu’u
17. Chris Eves
18. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
19. Blade Thomson/Brad Shields
20. Jack Lam
21. Billy Guyton
22. Tim Bateman
23. Matt Proctor

I'm sure the Rebels will remember Motu Matu'u

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I don't think Gerrard or Mitchell remember him...

Both Saveas will be impressive to watch in the flesh. One of the joys (for me at least) about rugby is being able to somewhat objectively watch both teams' players and just enjoy the spectacle of my sport played at its highest level.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Oz,
If you can find a replay somewhere you should watch the whole game. It had everything from an Izzy howler conceding a try to some absolutely sublime running rugby from both teams, only a few scrums and those that happened were relatively clean. I will be keeping that game on the hard drive for sure.

A win to the Rebels this week would be a real feather in the cap. The Canes are playing top class rugby (have been ever since they dished up the Crusaders) and a win would probably consign the Reds the conference wooden spoon. Nice thought, but a relatively close loss is the more likely outcome.

Yea I will sniff around YouTube for a copy. Don't think Foxtel play has Rugby matches on catch-up, or it's probably off now. sounds like a exciting game, reminds me a little bot of the nek minit match we played against the Highlanders last year - a real tale of two halfs.

My views on those players have been a manifestation of a few matches I've watch; cheetahs, blues and even one of the saffa matches. Barrett will be a handful and we'll probably will have to rush him to starve the backs a little. Suprised to see Lam on the bench, thought he has been doing well.

So, beside Little Red who do you think is in and out of the Rebels?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Some interesting analysis on appreantly the hardest man to tackle. Unless you're a giant I think the hardest would be that massive prop from the chiefs or skelton:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...ts-stats-say-yes/story-fndpt9s1-1226908970709

Wonder how Alapati will go against the defensive wall of Mitch and Tamati. Could be very interesting, but perhaps distracting as there are three other all-blacks in that Hurricanes in that back line.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Oz ,I think Lam is on bench basically because he needs a break, he struggled a little last week. I'm actually a little pissed, me and a mate or 2 are going to head to Melbourne for the Reds/Rebels game, not because I overly excited about Reds,just want to come down to Rebels headquarters, wish we had picked this game really as a Canes man, mates are generally Reds supporters though!!

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I'm actually a little pissed, me and a mate or 2 are going to head to Melbourne for the Reds/Rebels game, not because I overly excited about Reds,just want to come down to Rebels headquarters, wish we had picked this game really as a Canes man, mates are generally Reds supporters though!!

Going to Queensland next weekend, lets hope it's the first time I see the Rebels win away ;)

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
team for friday

leafa in horie out !. meehan on to the bench. smith still out. Fainga'a still at 6

Who ever does the right up for the news letter should be given the boot for lack of knowledge.

Head Coach Tony McGahan has made two changes to this week's RaboDirect Rebels team to take on the Hurricanes. Pat Leafa has been injected back into the starting line up, replacing Japanese star, Shota Horie.
An ankle injury to Nic Stirzaker late in last week's game against the Sharks has seen him added to the injured list. Bryce Hergarty takes his spot at flyhalf. Ben Meehan moves into the reserves, providing back up for the Number Ten position on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.