• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Hurricanes, R13, AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Surely Burgess is the worst 9 in Australia. The ability to pass the ball is a key skill in a 9.

IMO he would have been far better served if his junior coaches encouraged him to play 12. He is a strong runner and defender. That is it.

I don't understand why the Rebels persist starting with him.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Conrad try might be a shot for try of the year. Had everything, show and go, counter attack and line breaks, excellent ruck work, a cross field kick on the money and an offload in the tackle for the try.

It was utterly glorious, the standard of excellence attained. A post-modern renaissanance C major Renoir Van Gogh movement in silly shoes.

Canes all ticker there though, eyes on the prize. The ref did seem to ping Melb a lot but jeez they should've adjusted to him after a couple. Once he's set the benchmark for hold/release he has to be consistent with it

missed the bloody Blues game, although from the sounds of it I might've given myself a facial hernia watching that nonsense.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The error was posting too many comments, not the content of such posts.

Will make a strong attempt to be less compulsive.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
1. The better team won (as much as it pains me to admit).
2. We left 11 points on the field from dodgy kicking.
3. The refereeing was at times questionable - may have been the beer talking - but that goes both ways. Rebels got away with murder in our their 22 in the last 10 min.
4. Shit house kicks from within our 22 killed us last week and gifted the Hurricanes a try tonight.

Bring on the Tahs.

Rebels will win...

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i will need to watch the replay closely but live i thought the refereeing was incompetent, not biased, just very inconsistent in the way the breakdown was policed, and although the kicking was again the rebels archilles heel, tonight i felt the ref influenced the flow and the result of the game more than any i have seen this year.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
i will need to watch the replay closely but live i thought the refereeing was incompetent, not biased, just very inconsistent in the way the breakdown was policed, and although the kicking was again the rebels archilles heel, tonight i felt the ref influenced the flow and the result of the game more than any i have seen this year.

He was a disgrace, don't think he had any control of that game. Worst thing about it is Steve Walsh (Actually an ok ref) was a touchie for the night.

Matt O'Brien did no know the difference between a ruck and a maul and killed the Rebels attack at a critical time by going upstairs and calling the ball held up when it had not even reached the line, the right call was the 3 Canes players not rolling away.

And can someone please explain, how he can stop the clock for a penalty taken to re setup the ball on the kicking tee? Is their not a time limit and it's play on after that?

M

Moono75

Not even close. I'd like to see McMahon get a run at 8 next week.

Rebels could have won that game. It's like the urgency doesn't kick in until the 65 minute mark. Need to bring that from the start.

Can't see the Rebels dropping Higgo from the side but would he be better playing as a flanker?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Rebels could have won that game. It's like the urgency doesn't kick in until the 65 minute mark. Need to bring that from the start.

Can't see the Rebels dropping Higgo from the side but would he be better playing as a flanker?
Completely agree about the urgency, it happens every single week. Incredibly frustrating.

As for Higgers, he's just looking flat at the moment. Not really offering anything. Isn't carrying well, making poor captaincy moves, not tackling a lot or hitting rucks... At the moment I'd honestly say he'd be hard pressed to make the squad. Hasn't carried on at all from last year.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
re ref, well I suppose it was only his 2nd ever game.

that perpetually stressed and pained expression on his face not doing him any favours iHomo.

TMO ruling on melb try and says to him "just a minute" so he just ignores the poor fella and awards the try anyway haha

M

Moono75

Completely agree about the urgency, it happens every single week. Incredibly frustrating.

As for Higgers, he's just looking flat at the moment. Not really offering anything. Isn't carrying well, making poor captaincy moves, not tackling a lot or hitting rucks. At the moment I'd honestly say he'd be hard pressed to make the squad. Hasn't carried on at all from last year.

Interesting to see how Link views the Wallabies squad though. He has history with Higgo. Hard to put a finger on what exactly it is with the Rebels. Squad seems to be better. Still time to turn it around record wise. Shit no reason you shouldn't be above the Reds!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Without doubt, that was the worst, most incompetent performance by a ref I've seen all year. And this from an impartial spectator who has always had a soft spot for the Canes for the way they play the game. Rebels were very harshly dealt with. As posted above, ref didn't even know the difference between a ruck and maul. And how the Canes No 1 didn't get penalised for hinging is anybody's guess.

Was a good game despite the ref, but should have been a lot closer.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
In some ways he favored the Rebels.
They gave away 6 penalties b4 being warned.
Canes then gave away 2 in a row and Smith was binned.
The Rebels just weren't good enough.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Matt O'Brien is an extremely shit ref, but of course anyone who watches the IRB 7s and u20s would already know this. Way out of his depth. Don't think SANZAR will drop Paddy's son though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Two major problems with the refereeing at the breakdown is he was allowing Hurricanes players to start going for the ball long after a ruck was formed and rewarding them with penalties when they didn't have their hands on the ball. They just were still on their feet and competing with team mates appealing to the referee for a penalty.

A really poor refereeing performance which made the breakdowns a farce.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ref certainly looked to be struggling, he seemed to not get into the flow of the game, but may of been my imagination. I was surprised he penalised Rebels so many times before warning them, but it may of just been not having a lot of confidence. I think to say he in anyway is reason the Canes won is grasping at straws to say the least.
As for Higgers,he doesn't look real international quality really does he? Mind you as an AB supporter would be real happy to see him at 8 in RC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In some ways he favored the Rebels.
They gave away 6 penalties b4 being warned.
Canes then gave away 2 in a row and Smith was binned.
The Rebels just weren't good enough.

Rebels two tries to the Canes one. Only the penalties kept the Canes in front, and most of those were not deserved, or should have gone the other way. O'Brien is another who should not ref another Super game until he proves himself at a lower level over a longer term.

Status
Not open for further replies.