• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds Friday 15 April

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Big night for both teams. Vital chance to get further up the title before we start the cross-over games.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

rugby.JPG

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I assume Tupou is being rested to prepare for the NZ part of the season?

I would love for him to only play 10 minutes to give him a break as he will be needed for 80 minutes a game later in the season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Makes it hard doesn’t it?

15 Petaia
14 Campbell
13 Paisami
12 Stewart
11 Daugunu
10 O’Connor
9 McDermott.
8 Wilson
7 McReight
6 Uru
5 Smith
4 Blyth
3 Zonggorr
2 Asiata
1 Hoopert

16 Faessler
17 Fotuaika
18 Tupou
19 Salakai-Loto
20 Scott-Young
21 Thomas
22 Flook / Henry
23 Vunivalu.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If this is the game they're looking to rest a few blokes (not that the Rebels will be easy beats) maybe you chuck Petaia on the bench, move Campbell to fullback and start Vunivalu.

I'm confident Petaia will be our starting fullback for the remainder of the season, so it might be best to see what Vuni has to offer straight off the bat.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If this is the game they're looking to rest a few blokes (not that the Rebels will be easy beats) maybe you chuck Petaia on the bench, move Campbell to fullback and start Vunivalu.

I'm confident Petaia will be our starting fullback for the remainder of the season, so it might be best to see what Vuni has to offer straight off the bat.
This is where player management gets tricky. We need to manage work loads, but can’t afford to lose this game. We disrespect the Rebels at our peril.

Having said that I’d be confident in Campbell & Vunivalu to get the job done - given they are seen by many (including me) as potential Wallaby squad members at least then you’d think Thorn would back them to do the job.

An alternative line of thinking though is every minute in the 15 jersey is valuable for Petaia so leave him out there, especially given they have just had the bye.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Petaia has to play every minute possible.

Starting Vunivalu a risk - it must be about 10 months since his last game?
If the Reds are worried about his return from injury and load management, maybe he gets another weekend off and plays for Wests in Rnd 1 QPR?

It's not like the Reds are short of wingers.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree Phil. Hopefully he is 100% (if there is such a thing).

If not, there is an argument that you are better to start him, but generally it seems better off to introduce guys from the bench.

Utlimateiy I don’t really care - personally I’ll be happy with any combination of Daugunu, Petaia, Campbell, Vunivalu or indeed Flook.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That was how Link used to manage injury return, at least for regular starters. 40 minutes one week, 60 the next, always starting and being pulled at the pre-assigned time to make sure they didn't overdo it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
  1. Feao Fotuaika – Sunnybank
  2. Richie Asiata* – Easts
  3. Zane Nonggorr* – Bond University
  4. Ryan Smith – Brothers
  5. Angus Blyth – Bond University
  6. Connor Vest* - University of Queensland
  7. Fraser McReight – Brothers
  8. Harry Wilson – Brothers
  9. Tate McDermott (c) – University of Queensland
  10. James O’Connor – Brothers
  11. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
  12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
  13. Hunter Paisami – Wests
  14. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests
  15. Jordan Petaia – Wests
  16. Matt Faessler – Brothers
  17. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
  18. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
  19. Lopeti Faifua** – Wests
  20. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
  21. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland
  22. Josh Flook – Brothers
  23. Lawson Creighton – Brothers

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
REBELS (1-15): Matt Gibbon, James Hanson, Cabous Eloff, Matt Philip, Josh Hill, Michael Wells (c), Richard Hardwick, Tamati Ioane, James Tuttle, Matt To'omua, Glen Vaihu, Stacey Ili, Andrew Kellaway, George Worth, Reece Hodge

RESERVES: Efi Ma'afu, Cameron Orr, Rhys Van Nek, Josh Canham, Brad Wilkin, Sam Wallis, Joe Powell, Carter Gordon

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As exciting as it is to watch guys like McDermott, Wilson & McReight develop I think I like even more the development of guys like Vest & Smith. Unheralded blokes, late bloomers and, from all I can see, very unassuming and hard working. Never going to be superstars (although I don’t think Smith would be out of place as a Wallabies squad member) but he is very important in the Reds success. Vest still some way to go, but Is giving a good account of himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.