• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds Friday 15 April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Didn't realise that Ioane was named at 8. That's good to see. Hopefully we get a solid 50 minutes out of him.

Uelese out again... we will miss him, Hanson is a marked drop off from him.

Would love to see a backrow eventually of Leota, Wilkin, Ioane.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Does anyone know if Steve had been down at UQ doing pre-season? Or has he come straight in from his job at the Treasury to training with the team and possibly playing.

Pretty funny if that is the case, but at the same time, shows how badly the Reds need to lock in their hooking stocks for 2023 and beyond. Can't be relying on 39yr old businessmen to strap on the boots and play top level professional rugby at the drop of a hat.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Does anyone know if Steve had been down at UQ doing pre-season? Or has he come straight in from his job at the Treasury to training with the team and possibly playing.

Pretty funny if that is the case, but at the same time, shows how badly the Reds need to lock in their hooking stocks for 2023 and beyond. Can't be relying on 39yr old businessmen to strap on the boots and play top level professional rugby at the drop of a hat.
I don't think he's on the QPR scene this year, but from memory he spoke how he'd upped his fitness (cycling?) regime for the Classic Reds v Tonga game however many weeks ago. He and Horwill looked two of the fittest on the park then, but that's not saying much...

Honestly wouldn't mind him travelling with the team for the rest of the season in a dual mentor/'last resort' role

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think he's on the QPR scene this year, but from memory he spoke how he'd upped his fitness (cycling?) regime for the Classic Reds v Tonga game however many weeks ago. He and Horwill looked two of the fittest on the park then, but that's not saying much...

Honestly wouldn't mind him travelling with the team for the rest of the season in a dual mentor/'last resort' role
Ahhh yep true. I knew he was cycling into work a while ago, but he's relocated down the coast for a sea change so I'm not sure cycling from Goldie to the CBD is viable everyday!

Yep he would be good in a mentor role.

It highlights to me the issue with having the staggered start between Super Rugby and QPR. Halfway through the Reds season and the QPR season hasn't kicked off yet. Ideally if we'd played a few rounds of QPR, they'd have identified a couple of blokes in 1st grade who are playing well and could join the team as backups.

Not knocking Steve at all, I'm sure he would fill the gap well if needed, but we shouldn't have to resort to getting him off the couch.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Part of me kinda hopes Thorn or Cordingley went to the bar with a couple of mates and just announced they were a bit light on and was anyone available for a run, and Steve Moore said he was up for it.

I’m also kinda hoping Steve has smuggled the boots out if the house and told his wife he is going fishing.

None of that is the part of me that wants the Reds to get a bonus point win, of course.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

If the Reds are worried about his return from injury and load management, maybe he gets another weekend off and plays for Wests in Rnd 1 QPR?

It's not like the Reds are short of wingers.
That's the problem with QPR starting so late.
No where for the edge players and injury returns to get a bit of match time.

Shute shield is going into their third round and we havent even started yet.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
REBELS (1-15): Matt Gibbon, James Hanson, Cabous Eloff, Matt Philip, Josh Hill, Michael Wells (c), Richard Hardwick, Tamati Ioane, James Tuttle, Matt To'omua, Glen Vaihu, Stacey Ili, Andrew Kellaway, George Worth, Reece Hodge

RESERVES: Efi Ma'afu, Cameron Orr, Rhys Van Nek, Josh Canham, Brad Wilkin, Sam Wallis, Joe Powell, Carter Gordon
Andrew Kellaway at 13 seems like a move of absolute desperation. He's marking up on Hunter Paisami who has been the best 13 in Australia, while competing with Perese and Ikitau. I would recommend two layers of Kevlar padding for the weekend!
Not only that but its a 5:2 bench, so Gordon is the sub for 10-15.
I think I'll review my margin pick for the game. This could be a rout.

Alex Ross (28)
If this Reds backline can’t put 50+ on the Rebels they should hand back their sizeable Wallaby top ups.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
The forward pack isn’t our best though.
I don't think we will do too bad. It is not our best but I think we can hold our ground, we may not dominate or get tight heads but I think we will be able to get serviceable ball to the back of the scrum without going backwards.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Look I don't agree with them bringing a old bull out of retirement for a game but I do understand if they don't think the next cab off the rank is ready. This reply on Facebook tells me that they are concerned about the 5th(?) in line being ready for super rugby scrums. In the unlikely event that one hooker goes down he benches and likely gets no mins or a small number of mins. I think they see it as a duty of care.

If we were talking about a winger or flanker then he wouldn't be needed.

Screenshot_20220414-155103_Facebook.jpg

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
A couple of milestones (of sorts) for Rebels players tonight:
- Reece Hodge is set to move past Mitch Inman (81 games) into outright 4th on the Rebels games played list;
- Matt Philip is set to join Jack Debreczeni in equal 10th on Rebels games played list (54 games).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Look I don't agree with them bringing a old bull out of retirement for a game but I do understand if they don't think the next cab off the rank is ready. This reply on Facebook tells me that they are concerned about the 5th(?) in line being ready for super rugby scrums. In the unlikely event that one hooker goes down he benches and likely gets no mins or a small number of mins. I think they see it as a duty of care.

If we were talking about a winger or flanker then he wouldn't be needed.

View attachment 13300
I mean by their own admission here, the QRU essentially saying they’d pick anyone else if QPR had started. There are blokes currently in clubland though who have played professionally and would surely be up to Super Rugby level if desperately needed - Matt Mafi and Sean Farrell come to mind.

Hopefully it means some better alignment of competitions for the following years.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Are the eyes painted on tonight? At least three forward passes from the Rebels and that short lineout to Eloff was the worst not straight of the season.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Great try by Reds. Typical story for Rebels, have plenty of field position and possession for 10 to 15 minutes and don't look like scoring. Reds attack twice and score twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.