• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds Friday 15 April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
As exciting as it is to watch guys like McDermott, Wilson & McReight develop I think I like even more the development of guys like Vest & Smith. Unheralded blokes, late bloomers and, from all I can see, very unassuming and hard working. Never going to be superstars (although I don’t think Smith would be out of place as a Wallabies squad member) but he is very important in the Reds success. Vest still some way to go, but Is giving a good account of himself.
It’s gotta be good for the culture of the team as well, having guys in there that have worked hard to get trades etc before been offered a professional contract.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To add on to the above, I think one of the things I like is it gives me great confidence we are getting our pathways/development right. For a long time we would see all these teenage ‘superstars’ come through with huge wraps from the deeds at schools boys/u19 or u20 levels. But they’d simply never kick on. Now we are taking guys like Zander, Hoopert, Smith, Vest et al and moulding them into valuable squad players. Even guys like Stewart & Nasser - who never really fired in their ‘first picked’ position have now found their niche and are valued squad members.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Makes sense for Zane to start and it's not just a player management perspective, but allows for Zanes development to continue so in the event TT actually gets injured were not throwing a completely green tight head to the wolves.

With how reluctant they are to play Gordon, surely he's regretting the move down there? I'm sure JOC (James O'Connor) would be wanting to nurse that groin muscle that seems to twinge.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Absolutely over the moon for Vesty. Great bloke and something I'm sure he couldn't see happening this quickly after being dumped from the tahs after pre season.

Brad sure has an eye for for talent in the forwards. I think Vest is more of a Brad style lock at Pro level than backrower, let's see what he offers with a start.

Good on the young West's fella Lopeti as well. Don't know much about him but sure he will go well.

I'm excited for this match. A few player I've been keen to see on the pitch from both side so should be a good watch.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
REBELS (1-15): Matt Gibbon, James Hanson, Cabous Eloff, Matt Philip, Josh Hill, Michael Wells (c), Richard Hardwick, Tamati Ioane, James Tuttle, Matt To'omua, Glen Vaihu, Stacey Ili, Andrew Kellaway, George Worth, Reece Hodge

RESERVES: Efi Ma'afu, Cameron Orr, Rhys Van Nek, Josh Canham, Brad Wilkin, Sam Wallis, Joe Powell, Carter Gordon
sheesh ! perfect chance to start Gordon, seems he is surplus to requirements. he'll go back to the Reds and become a 100 test Wallaby !

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not that I'm aware off, either they don't trust him or they're trying to protect him. Either way I don't think this is really the way to go about it.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
sheesh ! perfect chance to start Gordon, seems he is surplus to requirements. he'll go back to the Reds and become a 100 test Wallaby !
That would be great news. He really hasn’t got anymore game time than he would have if he stayed here. A bloody stupid mistake by him to go to a team with coaching inabilities.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
What’s the go there? Has he signed elsewhere?
Yeah seriously odd. Any Rebel insider got any idea?

Wonder if it could be something as simple at To'omua wanting to play 10?

I'm actually quite excited to the idea of 10. Gordon 12. To'omua. I reckon it would work really well.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can’t see us prioritising bringing him back now. JOC (James O'Connor) is the now, Lynagh is the future and we have enough guys to cover the gap if something happens to JOC (James O'Connor).

I’m sure if he was interested at the right price the Reds would be happy to talk, but I’m guessing our priorities at the moment are the numbers 1 - 5.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I can’t see us prioritising bringing him back now. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is the now, Lynagh is the future and we have enough guys to cover the gap if something happens to JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor).

I’m sure if he was interested at the right price the Reds would be happy to talk, but I’m guessing our priorities at the moment are the numbers 1 - 5.
Yeah, I bet he is regretting his decision now.

Reactions: TSR

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
  1. Feao Fotuaika – Sunnybank
  2. Richie Asiata* – Easts
  3. Zane Nonggorr* – Bond University
  4. Ryan Smith – Brothers
  5. Angus Blyth – Bond University
  6. Connor Vest* - University of Queensland
  7. Fraser McReight – Brothers
  8. Harry Wilson – Brothers
  9. Tate McDermott (c) – University of Queensland
  10. James O’Connor – Brothers
  11. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
  12. Hamish Stewart – Brothers
  13. Hunter Paisami – Wests
  14. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests
  15. Jordan Petaia – Wests
  16. Matt Faessler – Brothers
  17. Harry Hoopert – Brothers
  18. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
  19. Lopeti Faifua** – Wests
  20. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland
  21. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland
  22. Josh Flook – Brothers
  23. Lawson Creighton – Brothers
That backline will be dangerous if firing on all cylinders. Best backline in the comp if they can work their best combinations and not drop any balls.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Looking at the Rebels, Gordon aside, how about Joe Powell? He's on the bench behind Tuttle again. That's quite a fall considering his experience. Clearly the Rebels coaches are not rating him this season.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Looking at the Rebels, Gordon aside, how about Joe Powell? He's on the bench behind Tuttle again. That's quite a fall considering his experience. Clearly the Rebels coaches are not rating him this season.
Powell has been a bit of a handbrake and honestly I can't believe we haven't seen more of Sorovi. Risk minimisation selections/tactics that aren't gunna see Rebels leave the floor IMO.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Good old Timmy Horan, king of the commentators, would have Gordon sharing his ‘100 Tests’ with Pasitoa and Harrison…. 33 and 1/3 Tests each !
Ha….can talk a player up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.