• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds RD 4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think the Rebels are losing 2nd halves due to the fitness, it's the bench. Apart from Stirzaker they're not Super rugby quality.

It's a bit of both.........

But when starting players are struggling that badly to get around the field 60 minutes into the game then fitness is certainly a concern.......

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) last night made me hope to God he doesn't play 10 for the Wallabies. He needs to be in the back 3 where he can pop up when he sees space or an opportunity.

Angus Roberts looked very composed. If he can play 10 then I'd put him there for the next match.

Henderson has his hand on the ground every scrum. Drives me crazy. What are the other LHP options?

PAE looked good when he came on. He'll be putting lots of pressure on Weeks very soon.

The Rebels really need some weapons out wide. Apart from the try they scored they didn't offer a huge amount in attack.

The Reds did their homework on the compressed defence and if some passes had been in front of the man they would have made lots of easy metres.

Shipperley was better last night. The cross field kicks worked well.

Frisby was good in the speed to the breakdown and how quick he was trying to release the ball early. His pass isn't his best asset and he needs to work on this. Thought his kicking game was an asset too.

You could tell the Reds were looking to attack quite a bit but they should have played down the other end more as they let the Rebels back in the game as a result.

The ref was interesting. The problem for the Rebels is that they will get all the new refs until they move further up the ladder. Bit of a catch 22 situation.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't think the Rebels are losing 2nd halves due to the fitness, it's the bench. Apart from Stirzaker they're not Super rugby quality.
PAE is not too bad but it is still early in his development. They do need to find some depth though.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Too much whining about the referee here.It's very poor form. The ref didn't lose the game for the Rebels, the Reds were in control for most of the game. He made bad calls for both sides & made some good calls to,as is the case in most games. I have no idea how much experience this particular ref has, but he is new to Super Rugby & this is much needed. He's also totally impartial, this is a very good thing!

I don't think the referee won the game for the Reds, not by a long shot. They still had to score 23 points and did so quite clinically.

But this is Super Rugby, and the amateurism shown by the refereeing teams in past weeks, especially in yesterday's game, should not be accepted by anyone.

something

Jim Clark (26)
in the jono lance / digby failed try attempt at 70mins, it looked like Lance was only about 15-20cm away from the line. If he had stuck his arm out and put the ball over the line would that be considered as a double movement? i am watching the replay and i dont know why he didnt go for the try himself - maybe he wasnt aware how close he was

something

Jim Clark (26)
frisby had a really good second half but as previously mentioned his passing and general awareness is a bit of a downside

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
in the jono lance / digby failed try attempt at 70mins, it looked like Lance was only about 15-20cm away from the line. If he had stuck his arm out and put the ball over the line would that be considered as a double movement? i am watching the replay and i dont know why he didnt go for the try himself - maybe he wasnt aware how close he was

No he had momentum, couldn't believe he didn't just reach over and score..

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Penalised for illegal use of feet on Anae.

I recon the Rebels got screwed on this one. Nothing should have come out of this except maybe a penalty for Anea's retaliation but really it was just one of those accidents that is always going to happen from time to time in a contact sport.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's what I don't understand. I don't think Ged kicked him on purpose but even if he did Anae retaliated, that's a penalty reversal according to most refs.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
That's what I don't understand. I don't think Ged kicked him on purpose but even if he did Anae retaliated, that's a penalty reversal according to most refs.

While it was a tad soft, I can accept why Anae got pissed off. I doubt it'd tickle all that much getting metal racked across your chest and neck.

I don't understand the consensus on reversing the decision based on Anea's actions. Had it not been for Jed's actions (the first infringement), Anae would not have acted in the way he did.

Then, there's the argument for the decision killing momentum, I can't remember if JOC (James O'Connor) was having a shot at goal or going for touch. If it's the former, there was absolutely no guarantee he was going to kick the three points and get the momentum. For James's relatively high standard of kicking, he missed a fair few easier chances than where he would have been placed to kick that penalty.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Was a great tackle by Inman. Digby did not have control on the next phase so should have been called a knock on.

Call against Robinson is a joke, the player has made no attempt to Roll away and it was not deliberate foul play.

Jordy Reid should be getting more game time.

Pyle should be Nathan Sharpes replacement in the Wallaby side.

Sidey needs some game time in Rebel Rising and we really need Vuna back at wing, thought Roko did well but Kingi is just missing to many tackles.

Roberts had a great first game, keep an eye on him.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
BE58aRlCAAADFJ7.jpg:large

D

daz

Inman was my MOM, just getting the choccies over Higgers. His chasing and tackling/defensive work was exceptional. He even showed a bit of lateral movement!

And yes, the argument continues unresolved, but anyone who does not think our attack picked up a notch once Stirzaker came on is seriously delusional. Crisp service? I could starch my fucking shirt with that! Bye bye Phipps. Thanks mate, but off you go.

And the young kids have such enthusiasm! It really is fun to watch. Jordy Hairball is one to watch. Roberts had an extremely fine debut. Great sweeping defensive coverage. Jones pulled a really good game out of the hat.

JOC (James O'Connor) is maturing very well. I tell you what, the captaincy sits very well with him. I'm actually surprised the egotistical maniac had it in him. Pleased to be wrong.

I love Kingi on the wing. There, I said it.

Coach Hill is on the ropes. Development is not enough with the talent he has. Wins needed in year 3. But he hardly needs a pleb like me to tell him that.

Were there issues with the Rebels? Hell yes. Until the boys figure out how to take 2 steps into contact without losing the ball, or pass to someone who is actually moving forward at speed, win a higher percentage of attacking line-outs, or gather a re-start at least once a game, they are going to stay in the bottom half of the competition.

But I will say this; The Rebels kept the game alive for nearly 75 minutes. That was far more than I really and honestly expected. And it wasn't due to the Reds being shit.

The journey continues.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting that we are actually starting games well, in our first two season's we where always playing catch up from the first 20 minutes.

Feeling really disappointed going into our bye 1 win 3 loses when it really should be 3 wins 1 lose. We have not been beaten by the Reds and Tahs, we gave it to them.

D

daz

Interesting that we are actually starting games well, in our first two season's we where always playing catch up from the first 20 minutes.

Feeling really disappointed going into our bye 1 win 3 loses when it really should be 3 wins 1 lose. We have not been beaten by the Reds and Tahs, we gave it to them.

Nooo, we lost. You know how I can tell? The opposition picked up 4 competition points and we didn't.

You need to be a bit careful saying things like that. Partly because it sounds like sour grapes, but mostly because it can be used against you, kind of like a counter argument by the opposition fans.

For example: We gave the game to the Reds? No, the Reds just did enough to win. We could have scored a try until the ref turned the ball over due to the rucking infringment? Well, the Reds could have had a try except the useless tv ref did not see Digby ground the ball.

The fact is, what if's and coulda been's are only used by bitter and twisted souls. We would have won if we scored more points that the opposition. We didn't.

Sport, like life, can be a bitch sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.