• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds RD 4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
And then Anae punched someone which would be retaliation which would take the penalty back to the Rebels no?

Didn't see the punch but Robinson didn't intentionally use his feet on Anae. He was more engaged in the ruck and Anae just got in the way. Didn't deserve the reversal. The ref was far too involved in proceedings, that said the game flowed nicely.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
On the upside, I thought Angus Roberts was *very* good. I look forwards to when we have a Stirzacker/Roberts 9/10 combination. I also thought that Alo Emile was good when he came on and showed surprising speed for a big man to make one of his tackles.

I agree that fitness should probably be a concern for the coaching staff.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I thought Schatz had a good game. I think Link used him and Samo really well.

Reds just did enough to win the game but are going to have to lift in the coming weeks. Lets hope the return of Genia and Horwill will provide an impetuous for change.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On the upside, I thought Angus Roberts was *very* good. I look forwards to when we have a Stirzacker/Roberts 9/10 combination. I also thought that Alo Emile was good when he came on and showed surprising speed for a big man to make one of his tackles.

Without Beale, I think the Rebels would have gone better with JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback and Roberts at 10.

The Rebels also need the other forwards to pick up the slack for crashing the ball up. Hugh Pyle did so much of it and whilst he did it well, he looked so tired at the end. Neville and Jones need to do more of this.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Didn't see the punch but Robinson didn't intentionally use his feet on Anae. He was more engaged in the ruck and Anae just got in the way. Didn't deserve the reversal. The ref was far too involved in proceedings, that said the game flowed nicely.

To be fair to the ref, the TMO looked at it & suggested the penalty reversal.
While the Argie ref didn't have a great game and poor decisions went both ways I think he'll only improve with experience & I think it's great to see new reffing blood in the ranks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Australian rugby players are playing some incredibly dumb footy these days. It's like they are all completely unaware of where the ball is, where other players are (in defence and attack), where gaps in defence are, where opposition runners are and where the side line, and more importantly, where the try line is.

The rebels didn't deserve to win the game and the reds didn't deserve to win it just a little bit less. But neither side deserved to win it.

Terrible.

My thoughts on the game exactly.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reds only going to get better. We will take the points and move onto next week.

Quade's kicking off the tee has been of a high standard.

Frisby needs to work on his passing from the base of the ruck. He has a bloody good kicking game. Young fella looks to have a bright future.

Ant Fainga'a. Well that is a reminder as to how important he is to us. Very clear his coaches also think so.

Saia Fainga'a looking good. Set piece looks fine and he is having impact around the park. His internet critics must be pissed.

Rob Simmons having more impact on the game. He has stepped his game up.

Reds back row looks very balanced, big engine and having real positive impact around the park.

Slipper growing into the captaincy well. He is looking good both around the park and set piece.

Greg Holmes also looking good.

Lance and Taps played well.

REF WAS POOR WITHOUT DOUBT.
I dont mind winning ugly, it means we keep on ticking over the points on the table and when all our players click we will be a great team.

Quade is a bit out of form, but I think he is trying to curb his enthusiasm and play a conservative game, he is trying to be a leader in the backs and I think the return of Genia will give him some free reign to do his impulsive plays. My biggest concern is his inconsistency in being able to put the ball in touch when required, maybe try for 10 meters less and put the ball out should be the plan.

I like Frisby, he is young and learning, I would stick with him, I dont think he is any worse than Lucas at the moment but I think he has potential to improve from his current skill set more than Lucas can, so for the long term I would like to see him keep on starting until Genia returns and then try to get him 25 minutes minimum per game off the bench, or even start and have Genia off the bench if the game allows for it.

Thank god for Anthony coming back, it is great as a Reds fan to hear him screaching in defence and organising, he seemed to be better in attack than his detractors would have us think was possible.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
And then Anae punched someone which would be retaliation which would take the penalty back to the Rebels no?
yes thats the way it usually goes. the last retaliation almost always gets caught. IMO the ref should have told george ayoub to f off, but in practice, cautioned robinson for being clumsy, reversed the penalty then cautioned anae for the bitch slap and reversed it again. everyone including the crowd happy and no momentum killer for the rebels.
as an aside are we the only team to have had 2 rookie refs in their first 4 games. personally thought he didnt do too badly but the AR's were hopeless

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

also think roberts played well and would have left JOC (James O'Connor) at the back to start game. i am not a fan of him at fly half. higginbotham had his best game but also his worst mistake at the beginning of the second half with the attempted intercept eventually leading to the frisby try. mitchell did a lot of good things as well and i would leave him at IC for the moment.

both sides looked stuffed at the end, and who wouldn't be at >30˚C.

we REALLY need vuna and woodward. lots of possession and attack and ball retention in the middle of the 2nd half but no points again.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Frisby quite good - better and more spark than Lucas.
Ref overall crap - but agree with TMO - Jed is not stupid - he knew he was off his feet and the way he used his feet was potentially dangerous. The way the game is administered nowadays he was lucky not to get a yelliow.
JOC (James O'Connor) looking good at 10 - maybe for wallabies.
Ugly w3in but a win - those bonus points are hard to come by for the Reds - maybe against the Force ????

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
HOLY FUCK BATMAN

I can't believe i just watched that game for 70 minutes and really enjoyed it and then the VIDEO FKN REF realized his multi bet was in danger and gave TWO FUCKING RYE-DIKE-U-LUSS decisions to the reds in a row and suddenly the game was over.

How the fuck was that a penalty against Ged.He was doing what he should be with zero malice, the reds player was not rolling an inch and threw a punch for fks sake.

And then 3 secs later Digby clearly has zero control of the ball over line and the video ref again stepped in and said 'i've got no idea...Held up 5m scrum' - when the only thing I could see for sure was that no one held Any-Fucking-Thing up. Should have been a knock on not a 5m scrum.

SO PISSED (and Im not a melbourne fan and I bet on the reds) - I Hate this shoddy fucking reffing efforts when they have all this fucking technology. Its hard not to suspect match fixing when it's this clear - even the commentators saw it the same way and we're all watching the same footage. And i hate that i even have to be suspicious !!!

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Frisby quite good - better and more spark than Lucas.
Ref overall crap - but agree with TMO - Jed is not stupid - he knew he was off his feet and the way he used his feet was potentially dangerous. The way the game is administered nowadays he was lucky not to get a yelliow.
JOC (James O'Connor) looking good at 10 - maybe for wallabies.
Ugly w3in but a win - those bonus points are hard to come by for the Reds - maybe against the Force ????
There is absolutely no way that was a yellow, it was barely even a penalty. I'm going to leave it there though before it turns into one of the stupider shitfights we'll see.

JOC (James O'Connor) was incredibly average. Stood too deep, hesitant decision making, mediocre passing game. Cooper was light years ahead of him. You really do notice live just how much better Cooper's passing game is than, well, everyone else on the pitch. The couple of times he decided to really lift the tempo the Rebels were seriously struggling to hang on. He's underplaying his hand at the moment which I like to see, let him build into the season.

Frisby was decent. He's a quick boy, doesn't have a great pass on him though.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Refereeing atrocious. A pathetic display again in a Rebels match - we seem to get the L-platers too often. All four of them were hankering for the long weekend down here.

Angus Roberts is an absolute jet. Five-year contract, please.

Agree with Dumbledore about JOC (James O'Connor). Tried very hard but played a lot of the game too far back, and forced the line up too quickly as a result.

Damien Hill will be in trouble if they don't win a game in South Africa, if his position isn't already tenuous.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
There is absolutely no way that was a yellow, it was barely even a penalty. I'm going to leave it there though before it turns into one of the stupider shitfights we'll see.

JOC (James O'Connor) was incredibly average. Stood too deep, hesitant decision making, mediocre passing game. Cooper was light years ahead of him. You really do notice live just how much better Cooper's passing game is than, well, everyone else on the pitch. The couple of times he decided to really lift the tempo the Rebels were seriously struggling to hang on. He's underplaying his hand at the moment which I like to see, let him build into the season.

Frisby was decent. He's a quick boy, doesn't have a great pass on him though.

Dumbledore - UI wasn't saying it should have been a yellow - IMO a penalty no more. But some of decisions of these blokes reffing or those citing have, in the past, left me wondering how "soft" the game has become

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Dumbledore - UI wasn't saying it should have been a yellow - IMO a penalty no more. But some of decisions of these blokes reffing or those citing have, in the past, left me wondering how "soft" the game has become
I don't have a huge problem with the penalty in and of itself. It's soft, but hey. What annoyed me was that Anae threw a punch but that somehow didn't factor in to considerations.

FiveStarStu Roberts looked the business. Not especially dynamic, but utterly competent.

Damien Hill is in trouble I reckon. There's a real lack of a cutting edge in attack. They realign too slowly, and the running lines just aren't there. While JOC (James O'Connor) was standing deep, he also had no one offering him anything. The one time Lachie Mitchell ran a decent line off his shoulder he went straight through for the try. The little inside balls to Kingi and Rockobaro are just weird as well - they're the smallest players on the field, why you'd send them into heavy traffic is beyond me. There's some boys who really need to lift their carrying games. Fuglistaller, Inman, Jones, Neville, Higgers aren't doing enough in that department at the moment.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Too much whining about the referee here.It's very poor form. The ref didn't lose the game for the Rebels, the Reds were in control for most of the game. He made bad calls for both sides & made some good calls to,as is the case in most games. I have no idea how much experience this particular ref has, but he is new to Super Rugby & this is much needed. He's also totally impartial, this is a very good thing!

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

All of this. Was very, very happy with PAE. The club are doing well bringing him along slowly. Stirzaker was excellent, Roberts to 10 when Beale or Woodward gets back looks very promising.

The fitness issues are pretty serious. There is no good reason for the Rebels to be in worse shape than any other team. Should have tried to hire Gordon Tietjens in the offseason or something. Or at least hit him up in some capacity.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Too much whining about the referee here.It's very poor form. The ref didn't lose the game for the Rebels, the Reds were in control for most of the game. He made bad calls for both sides & made some good calls to,as is the case in most games. I have no idea how much experience this particular ref has, but he is new to Super Rugby & this is much needed. He's also totally impartial, this is a very good thing!

I don't think there's much whining about the referee......... it's more about a couple of shockers the TMO had......

And with the technology at his disposal there should be no excuses..........

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think the Rebels are losing 2nd halves due to the fitness, it's the bench. Apart from Stirzaker they're not Super rugby quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.