• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds RD 4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, harsh on Morahan, unless there's other issues there - injury, for example.

I understand why Morahan fell out of the 22 once Lance got the start, as they kept CFS and Harris on the bench. But, Lance is an interesting selection over Morahan anyway. You get the feeling that Morahan had earnt a shot at starting fullback, although Lance has been OK as well so far. Very different players.

The dropping of Toua was always going to happen - Toua will need to earn his way back through A games from here.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
It says something about the depth of the reds when every player on their bench would probably be in the rebels starting side.

Doesn't mean anything once they run out of the field though. I expect this to be a close one. Hope melbourne can pull a good crowd. I know digby is always an attraction.
Don't think I would agree with that comment about starting line up, I would pick Pyle, Neville and Jones well in front of Harrison. Think Samo is ready to retire and would choose Delve first.

Would agree with Harris would be in our starting line up, Lucas is 50/50 though.

I think it's going to be very tight, hoping we can get up and should be able to get a decent crowd. Wish this game was on a Saturday night though, it's a long weekend down here so would have drawn a better crowd.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Rebels need to start well and put points on the board.

Frisby has to be the target to put off his game and stifle the Reds backline. He has been questionable so far and is a clear weakness for the Reds.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Rebels need to start well and put points on the board.

Frisby has to be the target to put off his game and stifle the Reds backline. He has been questionable so far and is a clear weakness for the Reds.
Higgers should have this role down pat

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it's tactical. Lance can play 10 in defence and free up Quade to run around at 15. Quade covered his yearly quota of tackles last week.
You have to feel for Morahan though. He's too good a player to be out of the 22.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Higgers should have this role down pat
I expect Frisby will be on the wrong end of a few questionable 'already committed' tackles after set pieces.

I also expect Lachy Mitchell to see a lot of runners coming down his channel, can't question his heart but I think taps might have a field day there. Looking forward to FTA vs Inman at least.

Hoping the forwards at least gain parity and upset the clean ball, we'll be in with a chance then.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I expect Frisby will be on the wrong end of a few questionable 'already committed' tackles after set pieces.

I also expect Lachy Mitchell to see a lot of runners coming down his channel, can't question his heart but I think taps might have a field day there. Looking forward to FTA vs Inman at least.

Hoping the forwards at least gain parity and upset the clean ball, we'll be in with a chance then.
Mitchell is actually really solid in defense, don't think Taps will get much space. Mitchell's weakness is his vision in attack and not his defense.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Think Samo is ready to retire and would choose Delve first.

The argument of picking Delve or Samo aside, what are you basing Samo needing to retire on? Last year he was off but this year he has been back to his devastating best.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Mitchell is actually really solid in defense, don't think Taps will get much space. Mitchell's weakness is his vision in attack and not his defense.
Hey? He regularly makes horrible, horrible reads on defence - especially when he plays on the wing. Gets himself caught badly flatfooted as well.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Did Morahan bang Link's wife or something?

He really should be in the 22 at least.

This is what I'm thinking. It's a bit of an outrage that he's not at least in the squad this week, he was brilliant when he came on far too late last weekend. It seems to be obvious to most observers other than the ones that make the decisions.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

Higgers will be ineffective this week, everyone at teh Reds knows his game downpat.

Reactions: tic

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty major injury to Morahan in the sevens late last yer - maybe they are just taking it slow in easing him back into it. In the trial up ate the sunny coast he was doing a lot of leg work after the game whilst the rest were signing autographs, so I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't feeling 100% confident on it yet.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hey? He regularly makes horrible, horrible reads on defence - especially when he plays on the wing. Gets himself caught badly flatfooted as well.
On the wing he makes mistakes, generally as he has to cover 2 men and had to make the decision of who to go for if you watch replays of most of the games, one on one his defense is good because he always goes for the legs and stops the attacker. Rebels weakness the first two seasons and the start this year has been defending out wide. We have never really leaked much up the middle, seeing Mitchell has spent most of his time at 12 and 13 in the first two seasons his defense has been good. His not a natural winger at all and for me has never looked comfortable there. The wing is the position we have always had injury troubles with, look at our wingers and game count

You wonder why so many fans have man love for Mitchell and wanted him at 12, it's because they see how much better he plays in the center than on the wing. His a workhorse and is not afraid to make or take the big hits. It's why London Wasps signed him in 2008 while they where European Champions. At that time they only went for players they saw potential in, I may hate Wasps did ok for them.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
In addition to Kev's comment, of the 3 games this season, he only missed 2 tackles, which was against the Tahs. However, he wasn't alone in that aspect.

He actually hasn't seen much of the ball, or injected himself into the game. I suspect this will change, with the switch to 12. Remember, JOC (James O'Connor) played well alongside Mitchell last season for a series of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.