• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds, Round 3 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
My pre-match prediction:

The team sheet to prove once again to be an exercise in creative writing with three pre-match injuries forcing them to pull oztimmy out of the stands as a sub.

Oztimmy agrees on condition that he can have a full strength beer on the side line. Oz Timmy makes a match saving tackle protecting his beer by the corner flag. Crowd will roar approval because a full strength beer at AAMI in a night game needs more protection that the Rebels try line against the 2016 reds.

Seriously though, I am a bit worried the travel combined with a couple of hot games will leave the Rebels flat. The Reds have not shown much this year but it is only a couple of percent that can mean the difference between a win and a flogging in professional rugby. If we are not up for it the Reds will get their heads up and believe.

Still gotta back my home side to carry this home with the extra depth off the bench. Rebels by 8.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^^Great post

Only problem is OzTimmy will be to many beers in to ever see the bench let alone sit on it. The only game I can have a few beers before and after until properly the Stormers at home so he has been warned have your drinking shoes on.

Anyone wanting to have a beer we will be at the Post Office (Posty) from 5pm roughly.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
My pre-match prediction:

The team sheet to prove once again to be an exercise in creative writing with three pre-match injuries forcing them to pull oztimmy out of the stands as a sub.

Oztimmy agrees on condition that he can have a full strength beer on the side line. Oz Timmy makes a match saving tackle protecting his beer by the corner flag. Crowd will roar approval because a full strength beer at AAMI in a night game needs more protection that the Rebels try line against the 2016 reds.

Seriously though, I am a bit worried the travel combined with a couple of hot games will leave the Rebels flat. The Reds have not shown much this year but it is only a couple of percent that can mean the difference between a win and a flogging in professional rugby. If we are not up for it the Reds will get their heads up and believe.

Still gotta back my home side to carry this home with the extra depth off the bench. Rebels by 8.

Good thinking there AFL_C! I've still got my kit back packed at home, waiting for the day TT gives me the call up.

Truth is the little flimsy cups they give you at AAMI won't cut it, so I'll need something slightly bigger.

camelback.jpg

Anyone wanting to have a beer we will be at the Post Office (Posty) from 5pm roughly.

Yep, what Kevin said about a pre-game Pint. We're typically out the front, Pint in hand, watching the world go by. Come along and enjoy the banter. Good Pizzas there too.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The Reds are fit after a good pre-season but have their 3 best forwards misusing and are toothless in attack. The Rebels should get up easily

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
We should win. But between injuries and travel I remain wary.

Need to build a solid lead before the 55-60 minute mark so that we can empty the bench in hopes of keeping key players fit and fresh for the next 3 weeks. We need to win this one, but if we expend too much energy, we'll probably fall victims to the Sunwolves next week.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We should win. But between injuries and travel I remain wary.

Need to build a solid lead before the 55-60 minute mark so that we can empty the bench in hopes of keeping key players fit and fresh for the next 3 weeks. We need to win this one, but if we expend too much energy, we'll probably fall victims to the Sunwolves next week.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to the Rebels or their fans but when I read statements like this it highlights for me just how far we have fallen from grace. The Rebels are far from the whipping boys that they used to be and are on the up which is great to see but this fixture has historically been a one sided affair.

From one stats site (accuracy unknown) they have the head to head as:
Played - 10. (Reds 8, Rebels 2)
Reds largest winning margin is 50 and largest losing margin is -8.
Reds avg points for 30.9 and avg points against 17.9
Avg points difference 13.

The stats paint a bleak picture for the Rebels but I find myself agreeing with Highlander35. As they say, one day you're a rooster and the next you're a feather duster.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The more I think about it the happier I am with Ant at 12. He will provide some advice for McIntyre and will hopefully straighten him up. Still think our best team is with Hunt there and Goru at 15 though but this might be good for a week or 2.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Rebels starting XV look solid, but if we drop one or two players, particularly backs, we're right down into the weeds and are looking pretty exposed.

Hopefully both teams kick the Australian derby approach of attrition and open up a running game.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
not sure how my memory stands up but didnt this scene play out last year ? reds sack coach next game is against Rebels with interim coach ( Knuckles i think ) and they took us to the cleaners ..
oztimmay that pic reminds me when we went to watch Harlequins play Bath in London , as you go through the entrance gate blokes come up with similar ( but a lot smaller ) packs on their back serving beer ! very convenient , also the best food at any sport / game i have ever had

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
not sure how my memory stands up but didnt this scene play out last year ? reds sack coach next game is against Rebels with interim coach ( Knuckles i think ) and they took us to the cleaners ..
oztimmay that pic reminds me when we went to watch Harlequins play Bath in London , as you go through the entrance gate blokes come up with similar ( but a lot smaller ) packs on their back serving beer ! very convenient , also the best food at any sport / game i have ever had

It just goes to show that the little things make all the distance. Like serfs carrying kegs of beer on their backs to serve the lords as they wait for their turn to piss.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ant to be used as an extra openside. Who would have thought? /sarc

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d2d07151617d0cbcd61e03e?=#load-story-comments

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i feel a perfect storm coming up. Reds dead cat bounce, rebels travel and injuries and the Rebels propensity to play down to the opposition (no disrespect meant to the Reds). i actually don't think this will be close. one team will play at their best and the other their worst, a big margin coming up. i hope its the Rebels but i am not that confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.