• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds, Sat 13 May @ 7:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Let's see if in the next few weeks the Reds and Rebels home crowd numbers and Foxtel viewership levels agree these two teams are playing 'skilful and entertaining' rugby. These are the 'votes' that matter.

Skilful - no, because of muh dew point

Entertaining - well 7 tries were scored so the jury may still be out on that

Won't it be a shitstorm if we somehow get into the finals to get our arses handed to us by [insert NZ team here]

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
What a performance by the Reds, massive turnaround from last week.
Different team out there, they worked on some key aspects of there game which they have been banging on about all season and past.
DICIPLINE was far better, accurate goal kicking keeping the score board ticking over. It was fantasti to watch...
Finals birth is so close I can feel and after that game and watching the 2 top Kiwi teams got at it with only 1 try the whole match..
The Reds have a good chance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What a performance by the Reds, massive turnaround from last week.
Different team out there, they worked on some key aspects of there game which they have been banging on about all season and past.
DICIPLINE was far better, accurate goal kicking keeping the score board ticking over. It was fantasti to watch.
Finals birth is so close I can feel and after that game and watching the 2 top Kiwi teams got at it with only 1 try the whole match..
The Reds have a good chance.

The bye next weekend works against us unfortunately. In fact the Tahs could be on top of the conference after next round. Well equal first at least.

They play the Rebels at home and the Brumbies are away to the Kings who now won their last three games.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
^ but it'd be just like an Aussie derby for the Rebels to win next week too such is the lottery of the Australian conference....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I feel like I'm watching a different channel to all of these other guys. That was good. More games like that in the future and the sport will be in a much better place
Fact is if reds and rebels were playing this sort of game in a domestic comp which was entertaining yep would be ok. But way below skill level of kiwi teams and does anyone think either team would have been competitive against nz sides on those performances. Nope and there lies the problem.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Still, I will take the positives from the game and say I enjoyed watching it, certainly one of better Aus derbies I have watched this year. I know perhaps the intensity wasn't there as they 2 teams from the bottom of the board, but I thought it was very watchable with a few players putting up there hands for Chuckles to look at!!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Fact is if reds and rebels were playing this sort of game in a domestic comp which was entertaining yep would be ok. But way below skill level of kiwi teams and does anyone think either team would have been competitive against nz sides on those performances. Nope and there lies the problem.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

The crux of this is true and presents a big problem for Aus rugby.

So, what can be done?

Would we actually be better off in our own domestic comp and never being help up to the Kiwi standard?
Would this give the players more confidence and thereby improve performances?
Would we develop our own style rather than try and emulate the Kiwi and end up looking like a poor Kiwi lite conference?
Would there actually be benefits of this for the Wallabies?
Would the unknown factor and confidence our players might have from not being thrashed all season work in our favour?

Probably not, but what else is there?

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
The bye next weekend works against us unfortunately. In fact the Tahs could be on top of the conference after next round. Well equal first at least.

They play the Rebels at home and the Brumbies are away to the Kings who now won their last three games.

yeah I know mate, i just wrote something as always like to post in Reds game threads.
So frustrated with the discipline in key areas with a boot like RH.
Every weekend it she same story about discipline but still bloody nothing. It really kills the Reds.
Its the first time in a long time i couldn't even watch the last 10min, walked away from tv. I was concerned if the Reds blew this one i would be Down at JBhiFI today buying a new TV.
Lets hope this is just a 2009 season again and next season will be 2010/2011 years. That as long as the Kiwi teams don't get any more ridiculously better then they are.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it is a case of doing both - re: domestic comp but focus on improving skills and coaching more generally in OZ rugby as clearly to have improving and strong domestic comp feeding a high quality wallaby side we need both.

That is why our reliance on a super rugby product as is destined to failure. A national semi-pro league at the minimum. As AFL and league progressed out of state based comps into national focussed competition as obvious blueprint for success as all other rugby sides are.

Anyhow apologies this is more in where to for super rugby but yes this game highlights the problem as evenly matched and competitive between 2 oz sides that would have better fan appeal than playing against NZ team and getting hammered which would have much less fan appeal.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
With guys like Sinclair we are seeing SS pathways being pretty decent to Aus Soup. I'm guessing we still need attention in stepping up from Aus Soup quality to NZ Soup quality.

Hope Sinclair makes good on this chance. He's a keeper who may miss when "and then there were 4.".

Mafi (#8 Rebel) is a bloke you'd love to have on your team. What a pest! Not niggling but really simply driving through and annoying players. Tell him to keep at it. I'm just not going to say as a Red fan it was comfortable viewing.

Love Hodge. Koroibete deserves his place, probably in the WB squad too.

Nabuli (why do the comentators say NaMbuli?) is stepping up. Finally. Liking what I see.

Quade, man OK he's not the 2011 version, but honest, supposed rugby fans see nothing but bad? Sheesh. Otoh Quade my friend, you yourself know that place kicking and general kicking must be better at this level. Sort it.

Higgers, Moore, Smith, Rodda, Tui. Excelent, so what does it take for this ream to step through to the next level?

Red line out losses - not good enough. By a long shot.

Scrums. Meh. Kind of parity but surely the starting front row can do better. No great disaster when the reserve bench came on, though I'm starting to wonder what has happened to the Tongan's running game.

DP my favourite Red (now ousting QC (Quade Cooper)). Karevi, Hunt, Nabuli. Excelent.

OK, so not too much in that Reds team that I dont like, so why aren't we better. The cattle are fine. Really need to step up. I hate this gulf between NZ and Aus.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes noticed a lot of good things Sinclair did over the ball and getting over the advantage line...I would have thought he would have a future in Super Rugby beyond this season as looks the goods.

Koriobete quality player but those kicks showed me he is not ready for the Wallabies yet.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Just saw crowd was 6,931 very disappointing. Hopefully heaps of Kiwis come out for match v Crusaders to improve crowd.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nabuli (why do the comentators say NaMbuli?) is stepping up. Finally. Liking what I see.

Quade, man OK he's not the 2011 version, but honest, supposed rugby fans see nothing but bad? Sheesh.

the M, or N as in NANDI airport (spelt Nadi) is "invisible" but not silent so to speak i believe, so "nambuli" is the correct pronunciation

on Quade, he was absolutely the main difference last night, swap over the 10's and it is a vastly different result, his ability to see and utilise the space out wide is unequaled in Australian rugby, the Reds always looked much more composed and threatening when they had possession because of his ability to control the tempo. his kicking is not what it once was i'll grant you that.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
the M or N as in NANDI airport (spelt Nadi) is "silent" so to speak, i believe so "nambuli" is the correct pronunciation

on Quade, he was absolutely the main difference last night, swap over the 10's and it is a vastly different result, his ability to see and utilise the space out wide is unequaled in Australian rugby, the Reds always looked much more composed and threatening when they had possession because of his ability to control the tempo. his kicking is not what it once was i'll grant you that.

Goalkicking is a bit of a necessary evil because only McIntyre and Stewart are capable goalkickers.

Tacital kicking should be given to Paia'aua though

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Goalkicking is a bit of a necessary evil because only McIntyre and Stewart are capable goalkickers.

Tacital kicking should be given to Paia'aua though

Is Duncan a good tactical kicker? If he is then great, he is playing really well with passing and running, just not familiar with his kicking. Our goal kicking was not good but really happy with the attacking intent.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
My observations of an entertaining albeit messy match
Rebs
1. Welcome back Seany boy. I confess my continued man love . Crazy if there is ever a Wobs team picked without this beast in the 23
2 I don't know what was going on in the scrums for the Rebs but I suspect it was on Weekes side ( an apt name for an over rated player ). However in open play Toby Smith was immense
3 Mafi again brilliant
4 Couldn't Sinclair play in the row . He was responsible for most of the Rebs early line out steals . Looks the goods . Start him in front of the absolute pile of crap we have in this position . Cummins inability to complete a simple catch and pass to an unmarked Sefa cost us at least a draw . Just hopeless
5. Can't add anymore to the comments re Volavola except that was the best game he has played for the Rebs and he was terrible
6 Hanson is a major disappointment
7 Marika don't ever kick the football again . Great runner though

Reds
1. George Smith legend . Best player on the field imo by miles .
2. Kerevi best centre in Oz Rugby but looks like he's a bit in love with himself
3. Higgers still terrific and at the same time frustrating
4. How can Rob Simmons ever play for the Wobs again likewise Moore
5. Cooper whilst he lost some spark still can find space better than anyone in Oz Rugby . I'd still have him in my team before Foley .

Anyway good luck to the Reds . I think potentially they are the best Oz Super team and hope they win the conference .

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is Duncan a good tactical kicker? If he is then great, he is playing really well with passing and running, just not familiar with his kicking. Our goal kicking was not good but really happy with the attacking intent.

The only time he did any tactical kicking was 2 or 3 exits v the Canes, and he peeled off 40-50m on each of them

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

He's taken his chances well enough that I've wondered why he hasn't gotten more of the responsibility. Gets a good amount of distance on them while still putting it safely out or onto the grass, an increasingly rare quality in Aus rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.