• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Brumbies Super Rugby Rnd 15 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

high tower

White and Phipps got selected for the wallabies last week, last night was a selection trial of sorts.
White threw a lot of ordinary passes, his second half effort was poor and eventually he was replaced with 20 minutes to go.
Phipps was average, smashed White at the breakdown once then later he box kicked out on the full under no pressure with the game in the balance.
If this is how they perform under pressure, they are not ready yet.

Reactions: Epi

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I won't bother with that first part...

But I think history has shown that the Wallabies would do better with another scrumhalf on the bench to close out the match...

One of Deans' worst decisions last year was to burn out an out of form Genia and not give Burgess more game time, considering the great impact he had the year earlier when he played the last 20 minutes of a match...

White has been the best Australian halfback over the year... was not at his best the past couple of weeks but until Genia finally picked up his act only a few weeks ago White was head and shoulders above everyone else...

I don't doubt that Genia would've started for the Wallabies regardless of his form, but I'm just glad that he's now got to the point where his form backs up his reputation...

White in his first year has been excellent and will provide good competition with Genia in the years to come...

We really dont want to end up in another situation where Genia is the only 9 who berets any game time. A backup need to be developed. Remember the situation with Gregan, when he lost form and speed in his dotage nobody was there to step up or the coaches didnt feel they were able to.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Very true, Gnostic. I agree with assessments of the 2 players, last night - neither were great. But players are allowed bad games, remember Genia had more than a few this season, and overall White has been pretty good. But he must get reasonable game time at the next level to firstly acclimatise to test rugby, and secondly develop in it. Same with whoever plays 7 behind Pocock, 1 behind Benn Robinson and 2 behind Moore (although, if that's TPN, he might benefit from less time so he doesn't dork himself! ;))

P

Paradox

White won the game against the Canes in NZ IMO for the Brumbies. Phipps level of performance has been nowhere near that of Whites.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Noticed last night that the Rebels really need to shed their "deadweight" players for next season. The errors and mistakes are 90% of the time made by the same average players (Huxley, Freier, Henderson, Blake ect), and its just letting down the good work of the genuine players.

Last night I thought the workrate and effective involvement of Pyle, Inman,Jones and Neville was brilliant. But then it is so frequently let down by errors from the other players. Same goes for when Beale is playing, must get frustrating having these deadweight players constantly let the side down.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Noticed last night that the Rebels really need to shed their "deadweight" players for next season. The errors and mistakes are 90% of the time made by the same average players (Huxley, Freier, Henderson, Blake ect), and its just letting down the good work of the genuine players.

Last night I thought the workrate and effective involvement of Pyle, Inman,Jones and Neville was brilliant. But then it is so frequently let down by errors from the other players. Same goes for when Beale is playing, must get frustrating having these deadweight players constantly let the side down.

I agree with the premise but of those you name are very good depth players for the squad. They should not be starting but they provide great coverage. From those you named, Huxley definitely fits this bill, as does Blake. Frier is a brilliant player who has always played well above his weight at hooker. I would argue as a NO2 hooker at a province their a few better.

Henderson on the other hand looks tired and hasn't developed his technique at the scrum since his early days. He is a liability there and also gave away a too many stupid penalties. Again however he does provide capable depth in the absence of any younger prop stepping up, but they should look for one.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Phipps was terrible last night. I know I keep going on about him, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the Wallaby squad. Kingi > Stirzaker > Phipps. He charges around the field looking like he's doing a million things at once, but he misses tackles, takes poor options, has a wildly inconsistent pass and is far too slow to clear the ball from the breakdown. Also lulz at Brumbies fans circling the wagons.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I actually think Phipps has alot of potential,but you're right about his current form. Runs around like he's on LSD and tries to do too much. He also lets the ball pop out of the ruck way too often, gived the backline messy ball.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Kingi > Stirzaker > Phipps.

Based on what? His cameo on the wing?

Debating that Kingi should start over Phipps is a sensible discussing, even debating Phipps shouldn't be in the Wob squad is a discussion that has 2 sides.

Debating Stirzaker is better than Phipps is ludicrous considering the sample size of games he's had and the fact he hasn't even started that many premier grade games in Sydney.

Reactions: daz

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Oh btw. Chris Thomson from Narbonne was at the game last night.

Not the worst potential signing ever but in my opinion we had too many 2nd rowers on our books in 2012 anyway.

King has SO much promise, he was a great NPC player and we've already sunk dollars into him. On top of this we are already developing 2 young wallaby squad quality 2nd rowers and one wallaby potential 6/rower.

The only way this signing makes sense is both Byrnes and Campbell leave, and even then we should look for an experienced hardhead.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jake White is a man of many talents...

Found this reader comment over at the Roar from May 22:

Maybe The Demons should have signed Jake White as coach. At least they would attack the ball and make a few tackles Their AFL skills have gone backwards this year so no harm would be done in this department having a Rugby coach.

Well...

White sat with under-siege Melbourne Demons coach Mark Neeld in the box for the AFL match against the Essendon Bombers last night as the club recorded an emotional six-point victory to break its 2012 winless streak.

Essendon are also one of the form teams in the AFL...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Essendon are also one of the form teams in the AFL...

THE form team. The AFL leauge is, considering the high scoring nature of the sport, a league with heaps of upsets.

It's not because the teams are equal either. It's at least as, if not more, unequal when compared to Super rugby (despite the draft) but there's so much upsets. Port V Carlton another example this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.