• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Brumbies Super Rugby Rnd 15 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not getting precious at all. You guys are changing the goal posts.

Higginbotham Jumps at 2, everyone knows that, but teams aren't/cant defend against it. Secondly He has the equal most number of line out steals for a backrower this year. He is getting the most ball off opposition throws of any backrower regardless of where they put it. I would say this makes him pretty dominant.

As someone who is a primary lineout jumper for the team I play in, I find it much easier to steal the ball jumping against the front pod, and I find it easier to take my own ball at the second pod.

I find the Mowen/Higgers lineout argument similar to the recent comments made by Nick Mallett regarding Bekker/Matfield. Although Higgers doesn't get the shits on if he loses a lineout like Bekker, there are parallels. Higgers is a good jumper. Mowen analyses the lineout, and will call accordingly.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Re White vs Phipps, I'd probably call it a draw. White threw some shocking passes, and has lost a bit of the zip he showed in the first half of the season. Phipps had a decent enough game, passing was sharp and made a few nice runs, made a few errors though.

Neither set the world alight frankly, and I would hope whichever one they pick on the bench for the Wallabies stays firmly seated for the entire 80.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Re White vs Phipps, I'd probably call it a draw. White threw some shocking passes, and has lost a bit of the zip he showed in the first half of the season. Phipps had a decent enough game, passing was sharp and made a few nice runs, made a few errors though.

Neither set the world alight frankly, and I would hope whichever one they pick on the bench for the Wallabies stays firmly seated for the entire 80.

I think that's being harsh on White who up until Genia got back into form a few weeks ago was head and shoulders above the other Aussie halves...

Not his best game, but he'll add a lot to the Wallabies in the last quarter of the match...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have to agree there. I wasn't really impressed with White tonight. The breakdown was really scrappy at the back for a period, and White seemed to lose composure as a result.

The wayward passes came towards the end there... it was a bit uncharacteristic as his passing has been so crisp all year...

But perfect timing to bring Prior on at that point in the game...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I would have to agree and the anger management issues he displayed could cost points in a test.

However White has the runs on the board this year that Phipps doesn't. Phipps has had some very good games but they have been balanced by some shockers he has had a hand in like last week.

White has been consistant and I would hope that if Genia does start against Scotland he only plays a half of the game we need to blood a back-up 9.

P

Paradox

What an utterly dumb post given the performance of White throughout this season.

P

Paradox

I think he's talking about this game, not the entire season.

This part
I would hope whichever one they pick on the bench for the Wallabies stays firmly seated for the entire 80.

rankles somewhat. White, on balance, has been the top aussie scrum half this year. Genia came good about 3 weeks ago.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Onya Paradox. Feel free to contribute to the debate when you have a spare second.

I don't particularly care what happened earlier in the season. Genia has class and form, and at the moment is head and shoulders above all the other Aussie halves. As a halfback replacement is generally used sparingly anyway, is it too far to suggest these guys won't get off the bench? Maybe.

Either way the last few weeks White's form has gone downhill. He is still a good prospect, sure. And I suppose he should get some time against Scotland. But I don't think he's up to it just yet.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The wayward passes came towards the end there... it was a bit uncharacteristic as his passing has been so crisp all year...

But perfect timing to bring Prior on at that point in the game...

I agree with you there Slim, from what I have seen this year, this was uncharacteristic of White. The big problem is that the pressure at the back of the ruck is amplified in test rugby. I'm not saying that White is not up to it, as I believe that he should be in the 22, but tonight could impact on the thinking of our old pals Robbie and co.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Onya Paradox. Feel free to contribute to the debate when you have a spare second.

I don't particularly care what happened earlier in the season. Genia has class and form, and at the moment is head and shoulders above all the other Aussie halves. As a halfback replacement is generally used sparingly anyway, is it too far to suggest these guys won't get off the bench? Maybe.

Either way the last few weeks White's form has gone downhill. He is still a good prospect, sure. And I suppose he should get some time against Scotland. But I don't think he's up to it just yet.

I won't bother with that first part...

But I think history has shown that the Wallabies would do better with another scrumhalf on the bench to close out the match...

One of Deans' worst decisions last year was to burn out an out of form Genia and not give Burgess more game time, considering the great impact he had the year earlier when he played the last 20 minutes of a match...

White has been the best Australian halfback over the year... was not at his best the past couple of weeks but until Genia finally picked up his act only a few weeks ago White was head and shoulders above everyone else...

I don't doubt that Genia would've started for the Wallabies regardless of his form, but I'm just glad that he's now got to the point where his form backs up his reputation...

White in his first year has been excellent and will provide good competition with Genia in the years to come...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree with you there Slim, from what I have seen this year, this was uncharacteristic of White. The big problem is that the pressure at the back of the ruck is amplified in test rugby. I'm not saying that White is not up to it, as I believe that he should be in the 22, but tonight could impact on the thinking of our old pals Robbie and co.

A lot of it did come from his forwards not providing him with adequate protection at the ruck which allowed the Rebels to pounce...

The Brumbies' sloppiness being a theme for the night...

I thought he did well for the most part to keep cool, but definitely lost his way towards the end there...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that's being harsh on White who up until Genia got back into form a few weeks ago was head and shoulders above the other Aussie halves...

Not his best game, but he'll add a lot to the Wallabies in the last quarter of the match...

hang on I thought "White>Genia"? What's changed?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I thought both halfbacks were pretty average to be honest. Probably due to the quality of the game, but neither really looked international level in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.