• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Brumbies Super Rugby Rnd 15 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Slim,
Is there any chance you might finish a sentence with a full-stop? The ellipses are are bit old now.
As you were.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
How good was mowens lineout steal at the back 5 metres from his own line.

I can't believe they picked McCalman ahead of him.

What I cannot believe is that people are still surprised by this. He has been doing this for three or four years now. If memory serves he was the leading lineout stealer in the competition in 2010. Not a bad stat. for a backrower. A far more genuine lineout option than any other backrower in Oz followed by Denis. Mowen also has the strength that he called the lineouts of the Tahs in 2010 and 2011 I think. Pretty sure he is calling for the Ponies from what I have seen as well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mowen has been the lineout caller this year...

I've gotta say I've been impressed with Kimlin the past couple of weeks...

As part of the rotation I'd consider putting Fardy to the bench for the next match and start Kimlin in the second row with Carter...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Slim, are you suggesting that th ref favoured the Rebels? Because if you are, you need to give yourself several sharp uppercuts, preferably leading to brain death.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim, are you suggesting that th ref favoured the Rebels? Because if you are, you need to give yourself several sharp uppercuts, preferably leading to brain death.

I never suggested that at all...

I merely suggested that, in the first half, the Rebels got 6 points off a 50/50 ruck call and a scrum which Owen collapsed, as highlighted repeatedly by Cannon...

I have no problem with Brown's refereeing...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think you'll find Higginbotham has been pretty dominant in the air this year. More so than Denis anyway.

I like Higgers. I like his play and feel that much of the criticism he has recieved here is unwarranted and shows poor understanding of his role in the Reds. However this (bolded part) is just not true. Higgers most often jumps at 2 and might get one of maybe two steals. Mowen and Denis jump throughout the lineout and achieve steals against the best of locks.

J

Jiggles

I like Higgers. I like his play and feel that much of the criticism he has recieved here is unwarranted and shows poor understanding of his role in the Reds. However this (bolded part) is just not true. Higgers most often jumps at 2 and might get one of maybe two steals. Mowen and Denis jump throughout the lineout and achieve steals against the best of locks.

So what you are saying that the Reds shouldn't put their quickest jumper into the air at the position which is going to put the most pressure on the oppositions line out?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So what you are saying that the Reds shouldn't put their quickest jumper into the air at the position which is going to put the most pressure on the oppositions line out?

All that Gnostic is saying is that Higgers jumps at the safest point in the lineout where you're generally guaranteed to win your own ball, wheras the other guys contest in more difficult parts of the lineout...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Don't get precious jiggles. Read what was posted. Higgers jumps well at 2 and generally fulfills the role alotted to him. He is not however in the same league as Mowen when it comes to lineout work and Denis is also ahead of him (though that is the only place I would put Denis ahead of Higgers this year).

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Higgers has been a rock for the reds in the lineout this year. He is one of australia's best line out jumpers, as is AWH off the bench.

If australia had a heavyweight thorne/botha type lock we could play Mowen and Higgers in the back row and they could do the bulk of the jumping along with horwill. I think it would lead to a much more balanced pack.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Isn't Horwill supposed to be that type of lock?

I've always said Mowen could play lock and wanted him to do so at the Tahs last year.

J

Jiggles

Not getting precious at all. You guys are changing the goal posts.

Higginbotham Jumps at 2, everyone knows that, but teams aren't/cant defend against it. Secondly He has the equal most number of line out steals for a backrower this year. He is getting the most ball off opposition throws of any backrower regardless of where they put it. I would say this makes him pretty dominant.

As someone who is a primary lineout jumper for the team I play in, I find it much easier to steal the ball jumping against the front pod, and I find it easier to take my own ball at the second pod.

Status
Not open for further replies.