• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Force, Round 10, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
think injuries from the tahs match will have a bearing in this match.The Rebels will finish over the top of us in the last 15 minutes

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Based on recent results, you'd say the Force are favourite to win.
Big question is how they will handle their now "favourite" status.
Play as the underdog has its advantages, with higher expectations come pressure and less room for mistakes.
Hoping for an entertaining match.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't see that as being a big issue Ghibli. I think the bigger issue is that last time we played against the Rebels they had a really, really off night. Should we still be favourites playing away against a team that has mixed it well with some top opposition in the last few weeks? The Rebels are finding their groove and will have a lot of motivation to make up for the embarrassment of the game in Perth.

We will play the game we always play. The tipping point in this game will be which Rebels side comes to play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Despite being a Waratahs fan, I'm glad I thought the Force's odds at home of $2.75 against us were too good to pass up.

I'm guessing Super Rugby markets are small enough that bookies don't really take much of a bath when they get the odds wrong.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Rebels handle the media really well. I really like that update.

You have to remember the Honey Badger is not playing at the end of the Tahs backline this week.
Who is going to put him into space this week?

I think the big difference is that the Rebels are not the Waratahs on attack or on defence. We will make metres through our forwards that we weren't making against the Tahs. Hopefully we'll also have worked on our line-out so that we don't waste field position. Sure we didn't attack much against the Tahs but in other weeks the attack has been more than okay. We will definitely be hoping that Mathewson is fit to play.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Force will have to adapt their game this week.

Firstly that game was tremendously tiring. There will be some very sore Western Force players even today, albeit pretty happy ones. I would expect some of them to be a bit flat still by the weekend.

Secondly, they will be playing a very different style of team. They will find it very difficult to counterpunch effectively if the Rebels play a more conservative, less physical gameplan. A lot of the opportunities they had arose on the back of the Tahs playing on the limits. First try was a good example of this. Cummins misses the intercept and its two on zero, try. If the pass wasn't thrown and the attacker recycled instead then there is no opportunity and the Tahs might have scored in the next couple of phases. The Rebels won't play on the limits like the Tahs do.

I expect this game may be quite dour for the first half at least with each team trying to generate field position and penalty points. Whoever kicks well and has the ref's favour may be ten points up at half time. Only then does it become a whole new ball game, with riskier play having to be tried. Not sure I know who will be chasing.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
With the tiredness from the Tahs game in mind, I would put more of our eggs in the basket of beating an injury depleted, tired Bulls side the following week. Let Coleman start instead of Wykes and put Walton on the bench. Give whichever one of Cottrell and McCalman who is more tired (probably Cottrell) a rest for Stander. Give Tessman a start. Faulkner too.

Normally with Morahan out, I'd also be pretty tempted to put in CTM at 12 to defend against Inman and move Godwin to 13. Brache could then take Morahan's spot on the wing. But given that a chunk of the pack is likely to be different, maybe it would be better to do a straight swap and move Pat Dellit back in on the wing.

Hammeroid

Chris McKivat (8)
Watching the Rebels vs Chiefs this week showed the Rebels are very very stupid. Take the Scrum for god sake, Higgers is no captain. If we want to make the finals we should put the Rebels to the sword and then some

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
This is a great comp!
With respect,both these teams were viewed as chopsi's, yet the Force beat what I believe is a top 3 team.
And the Rebels had to deliberately shit in their own nest not to beat the top team in the comp.
Both could conceivably finish top 4, or battle for 10th.

Reactions: Tex

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Form would suggest we're favourites, but I have a feeling that this might be a bridge too far. If we can get most of the banged up players out there and burgle a win I'd be very happy indeed. Hawko is right that we're going to have to vary our game this week. We'll still smash it up through the pigs and play to our strengths, but we'll also want to spread the ball a bit too and try and create some holes in the midfield. Expect Ebersohn to feed Godwin the ball a lot and The Badge plenty of short pill on the inside from a scrum or lineout. Then we'll want to let that comp leading back row go to work to secure possession and/or nick it from the opposition.

M

Moono75

With the tiredness from the Tahs game in mind, I would put more of our eggs in the basket of beating an injury depleted, tired Bulls side the following week. Let Coleman start instead of Wykes and put Walton on the bench. Give whichever one of Cottrell and McCalman who is more tired (probably Cottrell) a rest for Stander. Give Tessman a start. Faulkner too.

Normally with Morahan out, I'd also be pretty tempted to put in CTM at 12 to defend against Inman and move Godwin to 13. Brache could then take Morahan's spot on the wing. But given that a chunk of the pack is likely to be different, maybe it would be better to do a straight swap and move Pat Dellit back in on the wing.

Deillit needs to have the biggest club rugby form in history to come back. He's shown nothing much for a while for the Force, earn your spot.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
So looks like Alby and Morahan may miss and Pek and Wykes are touch and go.

This would be my team.

1 Pek/Falkner
2 Charles
3 Longbottom
4 Colman
5 Steenkamp
6 Cottral
7 Hodgson
8 McCalman

9 prior
10 Ebersohn
11 cummins
12 CTM
13 Godwin
14 marcel
15 DHP

16 Tessmann
17 Falkner/manu
18 Hoskins
19 Wykes/Walton
20 stander
21 turner
22 Holmes
23 burton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
No Haywood?

You wouldn't swap centres just to defend against a bigger 12. At most you might swap them defensively, but even that is unlikely as the defensive roles are different. You'd be better off trying to get a mobile backrower to quickly get across field to cover those channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.