• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Hurricanes - 2011R06

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Agree Barbar in order of form at 6 this year:-

Saffy
McCalman
Dennis

For the All Blacks sake I hope they do pick a broken down Elsom...please ignore SAFFY please....
In all seriousness...this bloke is what Deans has been looking for...a TOugh Ruggered no nonsense no 6 who just goes about his business with no fuss or fanfare. McCalman or Higgenbotham at 8, Pocock at 7 and Saffy at 6...now thats a ruggered back row.

I know Elsom hasn't played and all know I haven't been a fan since 2008, by purely on his most recent form I would pick the first two in front of Elsom any day.

B

BRIX

Really starting to lose faith in a lot of you. Shitting on League CONSTANTLY yet praising their converts. FYI, Saffy played on the bench for the Wests Tigers & St George Illawarra. Cooper Vuna was a top 10 winger in the NRL. If some of you guys know how stupid you look you would cut out the elitist shit you serve up.

It's sad to say but I knew more well-spoken, talented young gentleman at Westfield Sports and further out west than I did attending a private school in Sydney City. Cut the crap you snout-nosed, bench-warmer, sofa-commentators.

C

CanadianRugby

Thanks for bringing some negativity and bitterness to the conversation BRIX. Always good when someone brings the tone down a little.

In another note, does anyone know if Kingi has been training at 15 for long? Was this part of a long term plan to get Kingi on the field or was it a recently deicion. He didn't look very comfortable doing the "duties" of a fullback, like high balls and kicking. Looked damn good with the ball in hand though. I want him on the field based on this game, but I have no idea where once Gerrard comes back.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I know Lindo. But I'm sure the IRB wouldn't notice the fact that our squad for the RWC features Ned Robinson, Gareth Shelve and Greg Sommersault. A few beards, moustaches and bit of peroxide in the hair and nobodies the wiser...

Berrick Barnes's mum can sort this out. Once she's done no one will look any further than the coiffure.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yep.

How good is Cooper Vuna? I'm very impressed with the ex-leaguie.

I loved that for both his try and the one he set up, when he got the ball he just seemed to have such confidence. He knew what to do bot times and seemed to thoroughly enjoy it and have a mountain of time. I'd love to have him in the WC squad just to let him loose against the minnows.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Never count a McQueen side down. Their attack has looked good this season when given a chance and from what I've seen it looks a lot better than the Brumbies.

W

WB3

My thoughts as they come to me:

Mortlock pulled out a vintage battering-ram performance last night. Great captaincy as well. He seems to communicate very clearly to those around him. Deserved the ovation he received on leaving the field.

Saffy seems to be really finding his feet in union again, he is a physical specimen and now he's beginning to apply his talent in increasingly constructive ways, likewise Vuna. Saffy's workrate was quite something.

Richard Kingi didn't appear 100% comfortable at fullback, but when he injected himself into the backline as a roving link-man he was very impressive. A couple of busts/half-busts and a great flat ball to put Vuna into space in the leadup to that try. Could someone with more of an idea of his defence tell me if he could cut it as a 12?
PS; I'm not sure if it's the haircut or whether it was the big step and great acceleration but having just watched the Parramatta Eels, he reminds me a lot of Jarryd Hayne. The no-look, flat, cut-out pass he threw up in the line at Vuna was classic Hayne as well.

Mitchell did alright at outside, though he'll take some time to adjust to defending there. I have to applaud him for his intensity when he gets the ball though. It would make him look better as a winger if he occasionally roamed into the midfield and hit the ball at pace.

Rodzilla was OK, I didn't notice him a lot which probably means he wasn't seagulling, and the scrum was good. Robinson and Somerville were excellent. Both play fantastic tight games but have the skill to link with outside men when there is an opportunity (a trait of NZ front-rowers it seems).

Phippriani worked very well together. I noticed in numerous breaks of play they spoke together and they seemed to run their units pretty cohesively. Phipps had the best game I've seen him play and Cipriani was classy. Some of this has to be put down from the go-forward that the pack generated. Turning into a really good combination.

Delve and Lipman both played well. Some great cover defense from Delve down the touchline on one occasion. He also seems to be able to make many more yards after contact than some of his far larger-looking counterparts. Both second rowers played well as well and did the work in the tight.

Ps most of this positive commentary conveniently forgets the woeful beginning.

Also, although the Fox Sports commentary team didn't manage to say it very well, when they spoke about the critical players in the team and couldn't narrow it down to more than 6 or 7 blokes it highlighted to me the importance of unit play in the side when it excels. The reason they put on 40-odd points answered only by a penalty goal was because each unit achieved its simple goal. When everyone does their job it doesn't take a superstar effort to create opportunity.

N

Newter

Mortlock was critical to this win, you could see the moment when the momentum turned in the first half. The Canes were breaking out all along the backline, with Nonu orchestrating lethally, when Mortlock came in and hit the blindside winger with a momentum stopping tackle. It wasn't the last time he stopped the Canes getting anywhere in the backline the rest of the game.

And that was it, from then on. The Canes only advantage, neutralised. By Mortlock's vision and strength. Not just anyone can rush up out of the line and stop a movement - it takes a lot of nous. Mortlock was huge on defence.

On attack he was the man who made shit happen. That Lipman try was fantastic. Just when the Rebels needed another gear to pick up the attack and kill off the staggering Canes defence, Mortlock hits the ball at first receiver at pace and offloads beautifully to Lipman.

What a captain's knock. Champion. Almost has his full running strength too. When he does he'll be unstoppable, but at this point he's already the best Wallaby 12/13 in the country.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What a captain's knock. Champion. Almost has his full running strength too. When he does he'll be unstoppable, but at this point he's already the best Wallaby 12/13 in the country.

I think if you remove leadership and being an icon from the equation, he's not the best 12/13. For example, last week Fainga'a did everything Mortlock's done and more. I do think he's been really solid though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Phippriani worked very well together.

:lmao: :lmao:

Gold that.

I usually watch the Super games a couple of hours delayed which is particularly useful when an Oz team is having a bit of a shocker, or SAffer teams are swapping penalties and the rugby is poor, and I can fast forward a bit.

I had just started that method when the Rebels came back. Oh ye of little faith said I to myself.

Who would want to be a coach? Macqueen must have feared a repeat of the Reds result at one point. As at Suncorp his mob were hanging back waiting for attackers which is a recipe to generate missed tackles because reaction, mostly too late, is required when you wait.

Then when the Rebels started to play he must have thought: "Why didn't they play like that from the kick off, and last week?"

Hammet must have been appalled when the Blues put three tries on the Canes last week when Hore was in the bin at the end of the game; so he wouldn't have been completely at ease even 17-0 ahead last night. But even he would have been surprised at their lack of skill and especially their poor handling.

Even in their pomp, in the first 15 minutes, they dropped the ball a lot. I hope the Canes bought the beers for Conrad Smith and Victor Vito after the game. Jane was very poor and should have opened his wallet.

There were, mainly, two schools of thought on whether or not the advent of the Rebels was a good or bad thing for Oz rugby.

On the one hand some folks were saying that manning the new team would detract from the effect of the existing four teams and it was better to have 4 competitive teams than 5 weakened ones.

On the other hand some folks said that SANZAR was financing a defacto Oz domestic competition and that 25% more Aussies would be playing pro rugby every weekend (at least after the excess foreigners left). This would see the return of a few players from overseas and, more importantly, stop some wannabies going in the first place.

Despite squads being weakened somewhat in depth only Mortlock of the 16 Aussies in the Rebels 22 last night was likely to have started this weekend in the old S14 format. Also, fellows like Phipps and Vuna are becoming valid candidates for the Wallaby squad, yet they would likely not be starting for the other 4 teams had the Rebels not been added. Vuna would probably still be running around for the Knights (and Saffy for the Dragons) in the NRL.

And you never know: the scrummaging of Blake could attract attention too.

But I digress.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really starting to lose faith in a lot of you. Shitting on League CONSTANTLY yet praising their converts. FYI, Saffy played on the bench for the Wests Tigers & St George Illawarra. Cooper Vuna was a top 10 winger in the NRL. If some of you guys know how stupid you look you would cut out the elitist shit you serve up.

One of us saying league players are good would be like saying McCaw doesnt cheat

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

It's sad to say but I knew more well-spoken, talented young gentleman at Westfield Sports and further out west than I did attending a private school in Sydney City. Cut the crap you snout-nosed, bench-warmer, sofa-commentators.
Got some sand in your panties, eh? It is possible to not like Rugby League, the game, while acknowledging there are some great athletes in the sport, who might be good at Rugby. For the same reason I don't really like or follow soccer or AFL, but there are some brilliant athletes there too. As for the other big chip on your shoulder about people who attended private schools v those who did not, well there's not much that can help that complaint. If you want to make generalisations and see elitism, you will. I'm not sure why it's sad to say there were more polite chaps at Westfield Sports High, unless you feel that is wrong?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Richard Kingi didn't appear 100% comfortable at fullback, but when he injected himself into the backline as a roving link-man he was very impressive. A couple of busts/half-busts and a great flat ball to put Vuna into space in the leadup to that try. Could someone with more of an idea of his defence tell me if he could cut it as a 12?

My thoughts exactly. I could see this back-line working:

Phipps
Cipriani
Vuna
Kingi
Mortlock
Mitchell
Gerrard

Rooney and Huxley not of the standard.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)

Cooper Vuna played rugby up until he was 15 in NZ and Jarred Saffy was an Oz schools rugby player. Have you ever considered that some guys are more suited to rugby than to league? Most of the shit heaped on league is for off field indiscretions and I can't remember anyone on here bagging out the game per se except to say they find the whole 4 hit ups, 5 spin it wide and 6 kick tedious. If you've seen anything more than that (on this site) please provide links. You'd probably also find a good proportion of people on this site are not private schoolboys, least of all GPS/CAS.

B

BRIX

Please don't patronize my humble opinion. I've been an avid reader for over 2 years and have recently come to the conclusion that 89% of punters on here are elitist arm-chair rugby enthusiasts, and thats fine. Cheers

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Actually I went to a State School. Finished in grade 10 and work on the tools as a tradie.

How many more of us do you want to come out?

B

BRIX

Actually I went to a State School. Finished in grade 10 and work on the tools as a tradie.

How many more of us do you want to come out?

Well your an 11%'er then aren't you. Couldn't give a rats ring hole about anyone else, or if coming out makes them feel better pal

Status
Not open for further replies.