• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I also heard, and was a bit surprised, that toua Came 2nd in the king of the gym closely followed by horwill. Mighty effort from a smallish fullback.

That's good work. Is this news current or are we talking about what happened a while back, before their break?

It must have been a bitter pill for Aidan to lose his contracted spot, because of the taint of having had a knee reconstruction, I'm guessing, and revert to the academy, but you couldn't blame the Reds.

He's been injured this year too. During the U/20s he had an ankle problem and had to play every game with strapping and injections, but was still in pain for 60 minutes of every game.

That is probably why Nucifora put him on the wing. Because of the U/20s he had 6 weeks out of club footie but was able to come back for the last game. Despite only playing only 7 out of 17 games he came 3rd in the Brisbane player of the year award. Not bad.

In his one month off he did his other ankle jogging to get extra fitness; so that's why I asked if the King of the Gym info was current.

My mail is that he got an overture from the Tahs but he's backing himself against the other talent they have at the Reds in a 2nd year in the academy. Good for him.

R

Red Rooster

Toua is injured again - rolled his ankle in some sort of touch game on holidays and now is in a boot for the next few weeks

T

tranquility

Just a random bit of trivia on aidan. The kid is so talented that he came to churchie on a soccer scholariship as one of the most promising soccer players in the pacific, when he started boarding he realised that soccer wasn't very 'cool' at churchie so he picked up a football for the first time and end up playing in the As as the flyhalf. I know this means nothing, but when he gets healthy he really could be an anything footballer. Let's just hope we get to see him fulfill that potential.

T

tranquility

well good for Laurie for leaving. Happy to see him go if that's truly the case.

If you play for the QLD Reds, you should play in QLD.

I could not agree with this more. I was really aggrieved when we lost Laurie, but if he didn't want to be here I'm glad he is gone. Bring on Jimmy Slipper and the Reds for 2011.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Let's just hope we get to see him fulfill that potential.

I hope so aswell from what I have seen of him he looks an electric player and could add alot of spark to the reds if he was on form and not injured.

Lee did Aidan have a pro contract before he did his knee in 08? If so that was a big blow although im glad he is backing himself at the reds before he heads elsewhere

Pretty impressive playing less than half the games and still coming third, also i think the king of the gym info was from last year because Toua won the pull ups with 20 and Ezra Taylor won overall

Aidan in his final year at churchie:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIMj69unFRQ

Note JOC (James O'Connor) misses the final kick that would have won NC the game

D

Doc

QRU rarely let's Reds member play in Sydney, regardless of signing for Melbourne or not, Radiki Samo was a exception since he was only signed on a short term contract to start with.

It makes absolute sense to me from a QRU perspective

Don't forget UQ would have had a say in the matter. I doubt they would let their professional tight head leave when looking good for a premiership. I remember Weekes used to go back to Sydney regularly but still lived up here. In fact he was around up until a few weeks ago, well after the season.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Dobber

I'm fairly certain without putting my hand on my heart that Aidan's Reds history is:

2008 Academy (or QAS, whatever they called it)
2009 Reds rookie contract (but was injured)
2010 Academy
- and we hear he is back in the Academy for 2011

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I commend his perseverance and resilience to back himself at the reds in lieu of opportunities elsewhere. I hope it pays off for him big time.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
My mail is that he got an overture from the Tahs but he's backing himself against the other talent they have at the Reds in a 2nd year in the academy. Good for him.

That's a real pity. This year Toua could have established himself in our franchise and learnt the ropes. Next year we will have a new coach, hopefully someone just a touch less conservative, and he would then have a good chance to become Beale's back-up.

R

Red Rooster

That's a real pity. This year Toua could have established himself in our franchise and learnt the ropes. Next year we will have a new coach, hopefully someone just a touch less conservative, and he would then have a good chance to become Beale's back-up.

He might have got a nibble from the Tahs but my mail is there was no follow through so there might not have been as many options as is being speculated

T

tranquility

He might have got a nibble from the Tahs but my mail is there was no follow through so there might not have been as many options as is being speculated

I think the Tahs may have been the wrong shade of blue for him anyway. Stay north young man.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
bowside, I think Robinson has linked up with Souths. You would think McDuling would head to Uni.

Meanwhile:

Queensland Rugby Union will field a young team in the upcoming international Gold Coast Sevens tournament.

The team, composed of Reds Academy and selected Club players coached by former Wallaby Paul Carozza, will feature former Australian Schoolboy Jarrad Butler and fellow Southport School, Queensland and Australian Schoolboy Simon Morahan, brother of Wallaby Luke Morahan.

Australia, as the Aussie Thunderbolts, will head Pool C which also includes the Queensland Reds Academy 7s, Davetalevu (Fiji), the Pacific MMI Rebels (Papua New Guinea) and Island Breeze (Fiji).

Reds players James Hanson, Ben Lucas and Leroy Houston will also be there on Saturday and James Horwill, Liam Gill and Kimami Sitauti on Sunday to meet fans and answer questions about the Reds First XV – the push for 15,000 members in 2011 – the extended Super Rugby season. First XV memberships will be on sale on both days.

The team includes:

Jarrad Butler
Mitch Wade
James Turner
Ian Prior
Simon Morahan
Mitch Felsman
Nick Frisby
Lois Fesolai
David Burns
Josh Logan
Mitch King
Matt Garland

Jono Lance and Tevita Kuridrani from the Reds Academy have been drafted into the Australian Sevens Team ‘Aussie Thunderbolts’ which means friend will come up against friend.

D

Doc

Good to see James Turner getting some recognition (in addition to captaining the Brisbane team last few years etc). Arguably one of the best locks getting around, but simply too small for that next level.

D

dbla

Good to see James Turner getting some recognition (in addition to captaining the Brisbane team last few years etc). Arguably one of the best locks getting around, but simply too small for that next level.

Yeh I played with him at school and I always thought he would end up a 6. Hopefully a bit more exposure to a professional set up can determine whether he has potential as a backrower.

On another note I was wondering what people thought of Guy Shepardson's club form this year? I always rated him as a prop and after watching Slipper play a full game at loosehead it occured to me I wouldn't be too suprised to see a starting front row of Slipper, Fainga'a and Shepardson next year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
tweet from Link saying Greg Holmes has beefed up to 113kg.

I suspect we may see him a bit at THP next year.

D

Doc

tweet from Link saying Greg Holmes has beefed up to 113kg.

I suspect we may see him a bit at THP next year.

Pretty sure he's been billed at 112kg for a few years. Though it has always been hard to believe that. He's always been on the skinny side since he was a colt.

T

tranquility

It would make sense, if we were to play Slipper at LHP while he develops his game physically and technically. It would also make sense to play one of our older, more developed props (Holmes & Shep) at TH. However that would be terrible cruel to Ben Daley as he has been fantastic, once he can put on 5 or 6 kilos which will help him at scrum time we will have a fearsome tight 5. It is a good thing to have problems such as these.

T

TOCC

I wouldn't be surprised to see Slipper have the first 2 weeks of the season off, give him some extra time after returning from the Wallabies to work on bulking up some more.... If he makes the Wallabies in 2011 then he is in for a very long season

That means we could start with Daley and Shepherdson.....

Status
Not open for further replies.