• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Amazing! The season has just kicked off and everyone is talking about transfer already.
Must be a Mexican chat group ( for the ignorant - those from south of the border)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
At the risk of starting a fight, or at least a vigorous discussion ( :p ), if Lucas really is "the best utility back in Oz" and would be "a starter at any other Aus franchise", he ought to go elsewhere, rather than remain Mr Super-Duper-Bench player for Qld.
If he's that good, maybe it would be better to see him at the Force. God knows they could use him.
Just a thought.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
At the risk of starting a fight, or at least a vigorous discussion ( :p ), if Lucas really is "the best utility back in Oz" and would be "a starter at any other Aus franchise", he ought to go elsewhere, rather than remain Mr Super-Duper-Bench player for Qld.
If he's that good, maybe it would be better to see him at the Force. God knows they could use him.
Just a thought.

No arguement here Cyclo. Though I would like to see him stay in QLD, and think that he should be used as full time fullback, providing backup into 10. Would sooner see this, with Morahan on the bench, then what Link is currently trying. But if he is not going to get a fulltime gig, can't blame him for looking elsewhere.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Just a thought.
To be fair when Cooper returns I still think Lucas is the best option at 15, not Harris.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I will go out on a limb and say Quade will sign a three year deal with the ARU and stay at the Reds. Some may say I need my head checked but I wouldn't mind betting that suffering a serious injury may have given him a different perspective on these things.
I agree, but he will first be involved in press conferences at Bondi with his agent and SBW, he will also probably appear with his manager talking about europe, he will be paraded by his manager as recieving offers from other Australian teams and then he will finally stay with the Reds.

I wonder if his manager will talk up AFL and NFL punting???

I hope the Reds dont put up with any of this type of crap and just give a good offer and then everytime he claims to have another offer, reduce the Reds offer and see how long he holds out.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Obviously competition is fierce for spots in the reds squad. But it would be a crime against nature if a few young Queenslanders are not bought into the reds set-up in the coming years.

Topping the list are C.Browning and S.McMahon. One would hope they pick up EPS spots next year - or maybe sign pre contracts for 2014. Is the latter even allowed?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I know it's been brought up before, but with competition for spots, it will be hard to re-sign/sign some of the younger players coming through. Taking bowside's suggestion about Curtis Browning, the kid has been a freak for about 4 years now, I played against him in an AIC vs GPS game, and I remember looking at him in a line-out and saying "Fuck off you're in year 10". Great talent. BUT if you look at the pecking order as it, players like Ed Quirk and Liam Gill struggle to get alot of game time, which is no way related to their talent, but just because you have other quality players in those positions. It would come down to Curtis, because I'd assume he would have other offers on the table come the end of this season, he will have to decide whether he wants to have a strong chance of being a Super 15 player in another state, or simply holding the tackling bags pre-match every week untill there is a string of injuries.

I would of said the same about Dom Shipperely at the start of the season, but the way he has performed it's fair to say he should be held in higher regard contract wise then Rod Davies and Luke Morahan, who frankly, will probably find themselves behind players such as Chris Feaui-Sautia and Aiden Toua once they regain full fitness.

Before jumping the gun I think we need to sign another prop and center. That was a big concern of mine this year with A.Fainga'a and Ben Tapuai the only out-and-out centers we have. I'd be looking to find a someone in the academy first, then look for anyone in other provinces.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree prop and out-centre are where we are weak. They are defiantly areas to focus the recruiting for next year - prop especially. But just because qld have some good players now does not mean they can take their eye off the ball. Already we have lost 3 scrumhalves in Kingi, McKibbin and Prior due to the emergence of Genia. I think that once the talent is identified it should be tied up quicksmart where possible.

I said earlier that PAE is an option for the 4th prop spot, but I'm pretty sure he isn't available till 2014. Hopefully he gets some more gametime at the rebs and comes back ready to step up.

I feel the squad size really needs to be increased to 35, and then 5 EPS spots on top of that. This is effectively happening at the moment with guys like rapana and eyers-brown training with the squad but not being officially in it (The tahs are doing the same thing with Betham and Hoiles). Just because a player is in the squad does not mean they have to be on big money, especially the last few guys.

It also means the EPS spots can be used as a carrot for good young players as a defined pathway to super rugby - rather than for journeymen from club land.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Amazing! The season has just kicked off and everyone is talking about transfer already.
Must be a Mexican chat group ( for the ignorant - those from south of the border)

The Mexican border to the south is a river, either the Rio Grande or the Murray. This reference to New South Welshmen as "Mexicans" is a recent construct, and historically inaccurate.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
In terms of recruitment and retention, wasn't there talk of converting Browning to a prop? He certainly looks bulky enough to be one.

Centres is an interesting one. A Finger has re-signed and Harris is there as far as 12's go, and if Taps can be retained then that area is well covered. Seuteni (sp) and Sautia are longer term possibilities in the Centres as well.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Just read an article on Rapana which also quotes him. Seems like a level headed and purposeful guy, who went to NZ on his own volition last year to get some áccelerated rugby learning'. At 25 he still hasn't given up on the dream to play in the Pro's. Good for him, hope he goes well tonight, and if he does take his chances, then maybe he joins the recruitment mix for centre stocks in 2013?.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
After the events of friday night I have to ask if it is worth persisting with rod davies. He is still only 22 but he's been shown up at this level. I guess it becomes an issue of depth - if he wants to stay in qld then there is probably space in the squad for him, but on that list of players to re-sign he would be of low priority after guys like higgers, QC (Quade Cooper), genia, shipperly, tapuai and hanson.

Samo and Van are also on their last legs. Both only have 1 half worth of rugby in them at super rugby level, which is not exactly a sustainable situation. I think the depth is there to replace them, especially if we can lure the cream of the Brisbane academy who will be on show at the U20 WC later this year.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
To early to be dumping on any players. I wouldn't say Davies isn't progressing but like many other Reds he is just having a form slump.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Looking at the talent we have now, with all possibles resigning, I'd say a Reds lineup would look like:
1. Slipper
2. Hanson
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Horwill (C)
6. Robinson
7. Gill
8. Higginbotham
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Tapuai
13. A Fainga'a
14. Shipperley
15. Lucas

16. S Fainga'a
17. Daley
18. Wallace-Harrison
19. Schatz
20. Frisby - preferably a new scrumhalf comes through
21. Harris
22. F'Sautia

It is absolutely imperative that these players get resigned, along with the likes of Anae, Davies (if he can be got cheaply, he's not worth as much as Shipperley) and Quirk to add depth.

I'm particularly worried about the prospects of resigning Lucas and Cooper, which would leave our 10 stocks terribly low (and this season has proven how important that is as a position for the Reds)

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
After the events of friday night I have to ask if it is worth persisting with rod davies. He is still only 22 but he's been shown up at this level. I guess it becomes an issue of depth - if he wants to stay in qld then there is probably space in the squad for him, but on that list of players to re-sign he would be of low priority after guys like higgers, QC (Quade Cooper), genia, shipperly, tapuai and hanson.

I think that Davies's biggest problem is that he doesn't seem to read the game. How many times have we seen him overrun a player when he is in support, and this has lead to many lost opportunities. We would have been in a much better position on the ladder (if only through the points differential) is he learnt to play a bit deeper and hit the pass at full pace. He also needs to back himself. I am getting anoyed with watching him come to the defensive line and stop to see what he should do next.

Anyway this is probably not the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.