• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
After the events of friday night I have to ask if it is worth persisting with rod davies. He is still only 22 but he's been shown up at this level. I guess it becomes an issue of depth - if he wants to stay in qld then there is probably space in the squad for him, but on that list of players to re-sign he would be of low priority after guys like higgers, QC (Quade Cooper), genia, shipperly, tapuai and hanson.

Samo and Van are also on their last legs. Both only have 1 half worth of rugby in them at super rugby level, which is not exactly a sustainable situation. I think the depth is there to replace them, especially if we can lure the cream of the Brisbane academy who will be on show at the U20 WC later this year.
Davies looked dangerous to me. Not sure what game you were watching.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rod has pace but unfortunately he has to be in open space. He lacks the capacity to use his acceleration to compensate for a lack of mass to generate force in contact. He also has a poor understanding and application of game skills and tactics. On Friday night he made a tackle in the SW corner of the field and got to his feet as the tackler and ignored the ball to run back onside rather than pick up as he was entitled to.
Last year we (Quade) had the capacity to put him in space. Not in 2012. Shipley is a better option and there are others available who offer a broader range of attributes and skills.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Yeah - But Higgers dropped one just as easy. You want him dropped because he dropped a ball?

His break down the left in the second half was the only thing recognisable from 2011, AND he beat the last man. Just unlucky there was some very committed cover defence.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think he is a flawed player, he has great pace but lacks a complete skill set. He isn't as good as shipperly or ioane, and I dont think he brings as much to the team as morahan does.

He looked a million dollars catching long precision passes from cooper in space, but any one of the reds wingers would have.

There is a reason the broncos didn't hold onto him. The league clubs don't just pass on players they have developed for no reason.

T

tranquility

Rod Davies is a good player who is just not up the standard of Super Rugby, it is no crime on his part - he will probably head over to France at some point and add parts to his game. Dave Haylett-Petty looks like a much better player, playing in the Top 14 these days.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Does anyone have any thoughts re QC (Quade Cooper) resigning with the Reds? His contract is up this year, with the coaching reshuffle and his mates in Melb, I keep thinking he'll end up there? Hoping not ...

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
After the disgraceful sociopathic behaviour meted out to him during the RWC by NZ crowds, and then often being directly blamed for RWC playing deficiencies that were as much Deans' truly odd game plan reversals as they had anything to do with him, QC (Quade Cooper) must surely be tempted to leave rugby and head for league and largely avoid NZ rugby forever.

Re staying with the Reds, if he's inclined to do so, I'll bet that he'll rely heavily on his old school mate the Force Captain for an assessment of RG's style, character and capability before he'd contemplate a re-sign. BTW, other Reds in similar circumstances will undoubtedly consult their Force counterparts re RG.

Finally (1) , if the Reds have a truly bad ending to S15 2012 - now a very distinct possibility - I suspect the morale inside the camp will be a world apart from that in late 2011 and this may influence 'stay or go' calculations. Next (2), it's likely that the Force and the Rebels and Tahs will be desperately after better 10s for 2013 and the 2013 salary cap will probably rise and so offers for Cooper (and Genia?) in $ terms could be big.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
i'm very worried about the prospect of quade leaving. i think alot of it will be about where genia goes as his best rugby always comes on the end of a genia pass, so hopefully genia stays at the reds and so does quade. hopefully they both realise they need each other to reach their true potential

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Well on one hand Quade could show RD what a potent combination him a JOC (James O'Connor) make as 10/12 on the other hand he could risk upsetting future national team coach in Link.....decisions decisions.

However I am not to worried about losing Quade if he wants to go he can.....Benny Lucas or Dan Lane or even UJ will step up.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
i'm very worried about the prospect of quade leaving. i think alot of it will be about where genia goes as his best rugby always comes on the end of a genia pass, so hopefully genia stays at the reds and so does quade. hopefully they both realise they need each other to reach their true potential

There is more things wrong with Genia's play at the moment than just missing quade. He looks like he is scared to run into contact....like that shepherd on the weekend was ridiculous. Lad needs a break frisby has shown he is an apt player throw him in give genia a week of and lets get some outside backs on the bench for a change.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Finally (1) , if the Reds have a truly bad ending to S15 2012 - now a very distinct possibility - I suspect the morale inside the camp will be a world apart from that in late 2011 and this may influence 'stay or go' calculations.

If we continue our horrible run this year, why would you want to go to the Rebels were you're more likely to get a spanking week in week out compared to the Reds?

Sure he's got some mates down in Melbourne but there's plenty of mates (both in rugby and out) up here. So I'd rather be part of a team that (on paper) should be competiting for the finals compared to the Rebels who will more than likely continue losing more games than the win.

Quade was here from 2006 and I'm willing to bet he got sick of losing, so if I were him, I'd be very hesitant on cashing out to go play with two of my mates.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
He gets plenty of time to play with his mates during the international season. People are also assuming he's not mates with his current teammates? I don't reckon he'll play for another franchise in Australia, I also don't reckon he'll go to league. Europe is the danger & I don't reckon he'll head over there till after the next World Cup at least. He still has much to prove.
So in a nutshell, just like every other year, he aint going anywhere!
But don't let me stop you all from your speculating if that's what floats your boat.

A

AlexH

Well on one hand Quade could show RD what a potent combination him a JOC (James O'Connor) make as 10/12 on the other hand he could risk upsetting future national team coach in Link.....decisions decisions.

However I am not to worried about losing Quade if he wants to go he can.....Benny Lucas or Dan Lane or even UJ will step up.

Ewen does not strike me as the kind of bloke who would hold a grudge against Quade for leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.