• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
No doubt McMeniman's asking price will be fairly high considering the coin he'd be on in Japan. I'd be pretty dissapointed if they sign another bloke and pay him more than Higgers was going to get. I can't see it happening though.

T

TOCC

I think it's unrealistic to judge players on old information. MMM may have turned the corner. You never know?

Im pretty sure I heard reports of him getting I injured over there as well, something about tearing his hamstring completely off

L

Linebacker_41

I havent seen how Browning has progressed this year. I have heard talk about converting him to a prop. Has anyone got more information on this?

I think he is a fine future player and offers more than Butler but without knowing what position he is going to play is he really a replacement for Higgers.

Internally the Reds have Quirk, Schatz, and Samo for 2013. The other forgotten No6 is McDuling who has been off with an ACL reconstruction.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
"If" the Reds think they need a good 8, Lachlan McCaffrey should be looked at.

He is a good unit who has been unlucky with injury. He has also been in programs for a while, so the core work has been done

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I may be wrong but didn't Daniel Heenan retire from rugby some years ago? I believe he had many shoulder operations and was unable to continue...

Could be right Big Dog, I thought he might still be playing in Japan though. Anyone know?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Im interested to see McDuling play. When is the timeframe for his return? I heard good things about him and he managed to secure a full contract with the Reds so i'm guessing he's not too shabby.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I defiantly think it would be wise to bring an old dog like heenan or MMM in for a year until schatz or quirk establish themselves. You can't win this comp without having a quality back row that has the balance right.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Here's a thought, marquee player?

I recommend we go after: Sergio Parisse, Kieran Read, Pierre Spies, Fernandez-Lobbe, Gorgodze and Imanol Harinordoquy. Sounds good, yeh?

T

TOCC

I recommend we go after: Sergio Parisse, Kieran Read, Pierre Spies, Fernandez-Lobbe, Gorgodze and Imanol Harinordoquy. Sounds good, yeh?

Marquee players are typically a waste of money in my opinion, Daniel Braid served well but look at the force and the potentially hundreds of $thousands they have wasted on marquee players which they could have invested in player development instead.

I would prefer QLD utilize that money to develop their own local players..

Spending a large sum on a marquee player would also contradict comments by Link and co about trying to ensure the financial viability of the QRU.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Doesn't have to be an established player... i'm sure there are plenty of foreign backrowers ready to be developed as well. Bring over a young bloke on minimum contract who just wants a crack at the big time.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Those names were mentioned with tongue in cheek, no chance in hell would we be able to sign any of them.

But we do have a free marque position so it should be considered in the process.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Does the salary cap apply to marquee players? If so about all we could afford is to maybe pick up a young Saffa looking to make a name for himslf.

Hope we get hold of Sam Lane. With Quades future up in the air it would pay to pick up another 10 as Murphy and Harris have shown they aren't up for it.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Marquee players are typically a waste of money in my opinion, Daniel Braid served well but look at the force and the potentially hundreds of $thousands they have wasted on marquee players which they could have invested in player development instead.

I think a superstar marquee player is a waste of time but there are plenty of decent players who could add value to a franchise and not cost a ridiculous amount. Off the top of my head I'd say...a player like Samoa's No8 Treviranus (to replace Higgers) would be a great buy for the Reds

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I would prefer QLD utilize that money to develop their own local players..

Spending a large sum on a marquee player would also contradict comments by Link and co about trying to ensure the financial viability of the QRU.
I think a true marquee player needs to be exactly that, not just a foreign player to fill a gap. It needs to be someone who will increase the viewers and crowd. Unfortunately with League being a big sport in Australia then Union would need the biggest names in Rugby to actually get media coverage. I can only think of two who could do this and they would not be required by QLD- Ritchie and Carter.

Status
Not open for further replies.