• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I think a superstar marquee player is a waste of time but there are plenty of decent players who could add value to a franchise and not cost a ridiculous amount. Off the top of my head I'd say...a player like Samoa's No8 Treviranus (to replace Higgers) would be a great buy for the Reds

At what cost though? By signing someone like Treviranus you utilise funds and playing time which could be directed towards someone like Shatz or Quirk, you also risk forcing younger players to other provinces by reducing their chance to play.

In my opinion, the only time a marquee player should be used either in the context of the Rebels initial entry into the competition, or filling a position where there is no local alternative that could suitably fill the role.

I think the Force obviously had to chase a marquee 5/8 to fill that void as there were no suitable alternatives available at the time, however the only issue there was that RugbyWA then proceeded to neglect the position, by not capitalizing on the chance to have a experienced(marquee) player tutor a younger(local) player.

Similar when the Reds signed Braid, at the time there was a shortage of open sides in the country, he filled that role and whilst i cant specifically remember any player he may have tutored, he was suitably replaced with Beau Robinson in the following year.

T

TOCC

I think a true marquee player needs to be exactly that, not just a foreign player to fill a gap. It needs to be someone who will increase the viewers and crowd. Unfortunately with League being a big sport in Australia then Union would need the biggest names in Rugby to actually get media coverage. I can only think of two who could do this and they would not be required by QLD- Ritchie and Carter.

I think the name 'marquee' is incorrect terminology to use for the position, we aren't like Soccer or Tennis.
Australian rugby fans are used to watching the top rugby players on a regular occurrence, albeit through super rugby or test matches.

The subsequent issue with that is, signing someone like Dan Carter isnt going to dramatically influence crowd numbers or tv ratings within Australia because its not uncommon to see him play already. The implications are that spending big money on a foreign marquee player, especially one from the South Hemisphere, is that the province is going to struggle to cover the cost as a true marquee player is going to be ridiculously expensive and whilst income may slightly increase, i doubt it would exceed the cost..

David Beckham signed to the US soccer team and Dwight Yorke to Sydney FC are examples where the marquee status applies, in both scenarios they dramatically influenced ratings, crowds and news coverage.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
At what cost though? By signing someone like Treviranus you utilise funds and playing time which could be directed towards someone like Shatz or Quirk, you also risk forcing younger players to other provinces by reducing their chance to play.

In my opinion, the only time a marquee player should be used either in the context of the Rebels initial entry into the competition, or filling a position where there is no local alternative that could suitably fill the role.

I think the Force obviously had to chase a marquee 5/8 to fill that void as there were no suitable alternatives available at the time, however the only issue there was that RugbyWA then proceeded to neglect the position, by not capitalizing on the chance to have a experienced(marquee) player tutor a younger(local) player.

Shatz and Quirk already have a spot and there are no developing players in Qld that are worth of skipping the EPS level. Getting an experianced mentor that the crowd will love will do you no harm while a player comes through the Qld EPS for a year or two.

I see your point though.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Bring on Quirk. He is itching or it. Higgs scores tries, Eddie appears to be a similar looking hard running back rower. As long as we have Beau next year to mentor him through, we'll be ok. I am gutted about Higgs but there is nothing to be done now.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Shatz and Quirk already have a spot and there are no developing players in Qld that are worth of skipping the EPS level. Getting an experianced mentor that the crowd will love will do you no harm while a player comes through the Qld EPS for a year or two.

I see your point though.

Yeah I expect that qld might load up the EPS next season with a couple of backrowers and hope one of them emerges. Sort of like the brumbies did this year with locks.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The more I think about it the more I half expect to see McMeniman back next year. If I recall correctly he had stated that he only wanted to go for a couple of years to Japan & it has been 3 or 4? And his good mate Digby is around for a couple of more seasons at least to help coerce him along. As long as he's mostly over his injury concerns he'd be a great acquisition to replace Higgers/Radike.

T

tranquility

McMeniman is my favourite player when in full flight. God it would be good to get him home.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
From what I've heard Aidan Toua re-re-re-re-injured his hamstring during his fitness test last week

*FACEPALM* fuckin hell

T

tranquility

What a shame, I'm not sure what they will do with him? Sautia is going to leapfrog Toua, Davies and probably Morahan before end of the season methinks.

R

Reds24

sautia looked the goods on the weekend ill be surprised if he isnt in the 22 this weekend depending on the balance of the bench. good to see he might live up to the massive hype that has surrounded him for a few years now, cant wait to c what he does over the next few years when he gets some experience at super level.

Anything about that other 18 yr old on an eps contract UJ? what has he been up too and may he get an opportunity this year?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
his already done more in 25 mins then davies has done all yr and he is only just 18

If Lucas is fit he will not play and we will see a 5:2 bench again with Frisby & Morahan. Completely different challenge this week against 2 of the form wingers in Aus. Davies has been poor but i'd nearly pick him to be honest.

R

Reds24

The way davies has been playing id rather link run out himself but i c ur point. I hope sautia gets another opportunity though so we can c what he can do.

R

Reds24

For sure he has, he's a great young talent, but I think we are blowing things out of proportion a bit.

im just thinking about how he could potentially turn out and its exciting for the reds and australian rugby if he does go to the heights anticipated by many

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Let this bloke have his U20 tournament, then a big preseason, then 4 or 5 Super rugby starts, and then let's tout him as an awesome player with a wallaby future.

It's at least 8-10 hard months of work before then.

T

tranquility

Best prospect since Tuney! that is reason to get excited in my opinion. This is a message board, no need to be reserved in expectations..

Status
Not open for further replies.