• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Much as the prematch build up by Horan seemed a little ott, I won't be surprised if Sautia sees national squad exposure in the very near future.

Ath.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Higgers and Genia hold him aloft on their shoulders.

That is an engineering miracle.

Robbie does like to make the odd 'daring' selection (think inverted props, McCabe to 12) and spend the next 4 years explaining how it really is working. (Though in McCabes case, it really is!). Maybe CFS will be the next coach defining moment. Shudder.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I really fear for him if we are going to do this - it seems that if a player gets too hyped too early he invariably ends up with a big line of people wanting to knock him down.

R

Reds24

well if your touted as the best schoolboy footballer to come through the system there will be some expectations that come with him that he has to live up too, though im sure link will look after him and he'll come through fine

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not saying that we won't excel as a footballer - although just because he excelled at school doesn't mean night follows day. But based on the views here from people who have watched him I am sure he is a fantastic talent and has a bright future, if the injury Gods are kind.

My observation is more that footballers who get hyped up by their supporters tend to gain a crowd of knockers itching for them to stumble - and I think that often gets ugly (look at how many lined up to bag Genia). I don't actually expect anyone to stop talking about him on my account, but I am not sure that we will do him any favours.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Robbie does like to make the odd 'daring' selection (think inverted props, McCabe to 12) and spend the next 4 years explaining how it really is working. (Though in McCabes case, it really is!). Maybe CFS will be the next coach defining moment. Shudder.

McCabe was Larkham's idea though...

Can't give Robbie too much credit...

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
McCabe was Larkham's idea though...

Can't give Robbie too much credit...

Agreed. Taking it to the Wallabies seemed to become one of things that RD identifies as one of his tweaks. My impression, anyway.

And I guess it is fair enough - it certainly flew in the face of the prevailing Barnes/JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 wisdom at the time.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

I think Robbie will be impressed, before his first touch of the ball, I am sure I saw CFS look at what was in front of him, and then he played it...and scored. He is the ultimate example of what Deans wants to happen

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I heard Sautia is also an Olympic sprinter, a university science professor, and he is so awesome, James Horwill carries his bags to the hotel, while Higgers and Genia hold him aloft on their shoulders.

True story, he is THAT good already.
he is also who the Chuck Norris jokes were originally based on

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Best prospect since Tuney! that is reason to get excited in my opinion.

Not far off the mark there tranks, but like Tuney: there is no doubting his ability to be a champion player at any level, just doubt about being prone to inury. He didn't play any games for for Oz Schools last year because of his hamstring - and I'm not sure if he even played for Qld Schools, (because the Schools tournament was up there.)

Have always been a big fan of his since I saw him at 15, but I didn't know he was that age at the time. When I found out my mouth dropped.

He probably won't get a lot more game time this year but if he does I would love to see him get a gig at 13 where he has played for his school - even if for just part of a game. It looks like his natural position. There are few players who can step with balance like he can yet not appear to lose speed.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not far off the mark there tranks, but like Tuney: there is no doubting his ability to be a champion player at any level, just doubt about being prone to inury. He didn't play any games for for Oz Schools last year because of his hamstring - and I'm not sure if he even played for Qld Schools, (because the Schools tournament was up there.)

Have always been a big fan of his since I saw him at 15, but I didn't know he was that age at the time. When I found out my mouth dropped.

He probably won't get a lot more game time this year but if he does I would love to see him get a gig at 13 where he has played for his school - even if for just part of a game. It looks like his natural position. There are few players who can step with balance like he can yet not appear to lose speed.
what is his defence like? I dont think I would be moving A Fainga'a to get a run, unless he is great in defence.

M

Motorboater

I must be the only one, but I was a little bit disappointed given the hype. He still has a long way to go IMO, and that's fine because he's only 18 and this whole professional caper is quite new to him. I thought he was very passive and let the play go on without him a few times.

He won't be able to get away with pulling his weight in Super Rugby with only a few superstar touches. Will need to work on those one percenters, extra efforts and off the ball play.

T

trophyhunter

I must be the only one, but I was a little bit disappointed given the hype. He still has a long way to go IMO, and that's fine because he's only 18 and this whole professional caper is quite new to him. I thought he was very passive and let the play go on without him a few times.

He won't be able to get away with pulling his weight in Super Rugby with only a few superstar touches. Will need to work on those one percenters, extra efforts and off the ball play.

I did notice he was very passive in parts as well. When play came to him, it did seem he knew what to do and thing's happened for him. I would like to see him get a few more 'bit parts' so he can ease into the professional level and get used to how the team works.

I know he has been hyped up, but If you were the new kid who everyone had hyped up, you would want to perform well, but at the same time, play a safe steady hand. No one wants to be the 'young dickhead' who lost the game or anything like that. I think familiarity will build confidence and better performances, injury ect permitting.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any news on Gagai or Sam Lane? We should sign both ASAP...

A source of mine close to Gagai says that he is chasing the Reds rather than being chased. Not sure what to make of that but seems like Reds have outside back positions pretty well stocked (judging by all the talk on here about how good CFS is). Reds will also probably wait to see if they can get an idea of Quade's long term goals/future before pulling the trigger on signing Lane.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
The topic has its own thread, but there's rumour of another Rebels inflicted loss.

Rebels set to pot another Red in Ben Tapuai

THE Melbourne Rebels are believed to be close to making another recruiting coup with Australia and Queensland midfielder Ben Tapuai poised to join the Super Rugby team.

A week after it was announced that Wallabies and Reds backrower Scott Higginbotham was heading to Melbourne, there was strong speculation Tapuai would join him.

Of Samoan heritage, Tapuai was born in Brisbane but grew up in Melbourne.

The Rebels have a policy to try to recruit players who have a Melbourne background.

While a ball-running backrower was the Rebels' priority, it is understood they are looking for a centre to complement Test backs Kurtley Beale and James O'Connor.

With O'Connor at five-eighth and Beale at fullback, Tapuai would help to form a potent combination for the Rebels.

A straight runner and strong defender, Tapuai, 23, would seem to suit all of the Rebels' requirements.

After making his Super Rugby debut for the Reds against the Crusaders in 2009, Tapuai made his Test debut against Wales in Cardiff last December.

Alternating between inside and outside centre, Tapuai started in the Reds' first eight games this season until he sustained a broken collarbone in a tackle by Stormers centre Juan de Jongh in Brisbane.

Tapuai will not play for the Reds again this season unless they make the playoffs. And even then it would be difficult for him to regain a place in the starting line-up with Mike Harris and Anthony Fainga'a performing well in the midfield.

If five-eighth Quade Cooper remains with the Reds next year, there will be strong competition for a start in the midfield.

Tapuai would have much more chance of being a regular starter at the Rebels at either inside or outside centre.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ed-in-ben-tapuai/story-e6frg7o6-1226363906376

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
So if CFS is going to be a star and he is eventually going to start games then I am guessing that this leaves A Fainga'a and Digby in the centres (I dont think Harris will be long term...kicking only goes so far) with CFS taking Digby's wing spot.

Taps money can be used to keep Cooper.

I always thought that Taps was better than average, but not as great as a lot of people thought so I am not as annoyed at this as when Higgers left, now that would have been a good use of the extra money, we could have kept higgers

Status
Not open for further replies.