• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Horwill at 6 was a failure but what about Simmons, he did well there for the Wallabies. If the pack needs more beef surely Ed into lock and Simmons into 6 at the expense of either Quirk or Schatz.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Horwill at 6 was a failure but what about Simmons, he did well there for the Wallabies. If the pack needs more beef surely Ed into lock and Simmons into 6 at the expense of either Quirk or Schatz.
Good in theory, but Simmons would have to be a lot quicker around the park for it to work. You'd lose a decent amount of mobility.

I know he's relatively unknown, but Dave McDuling is another who'd fill 6 quite well. Big unit, mobile, runs bloody hard the times I've seen him for University.

But he is still on the way back after so long out, but he'd be an option I would probably consider if there wasn't improvements.

Quirk would go to 8

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sorting out a couple of extra tickets for mates to the game on Friday. Does anyone know what the "Uni Lounge" section is and what you get for your $25?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorting out a couple of extra tickets for mates to the game on Friday. Does anyone know what the "Uni Lounge" section is and what you get for your $25?

Don't know what you get for your $25 but I think it's the area on level 7 in the south west corner (Milton road end on brewery side of the stadium). It's a pretty cool spot and if it's with plenty of Uni students should be fun. Will have a bar to yourself up there too.

T

Train Without a Station

Can't see Simmons at 6 really improving our lack of aggressive running Qwerty. His running game is probably worse than all bar Gill in our back row.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wasn't Ewen banging on about Simmons being one of the most athletic and mobile forwards in the Wallabies last year? I think it was before he was played at 6.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Simmons moves to 6 he'd be able to give away penalties so much quicker, genius.

In all seriousness we're seeing a bit of old Simmons this year and whilst he isn't playing THAT badly I certainly wouldn't consider him a player so important that he has to be in the XV even if it's out of position.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Doesn't Simmons have massive brain explosions? He gave away some awful penalties - that Contepomi hit for example.

You gotta keep a guy like that hidden in the engine room - let the professional infringers play in the back row.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I thought McDuling was touted as our Fardy? A utility second rower who can play in the backrow? Is he injured or just not rated by the coaching staff?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I thought McDuling was touted as our Fardy? A utility second rower who can play in the backrow? Is he injured or just not rated by the coaching staff?

After two knee ops in two years and still on the books I don't doubt he is rated. From what I heard he did well in the trials. Giving the incumbents first go at the backrow is fair enough, if not much has changed in a month then more changes should be made. Having Browning ahead of him in the backrow and prob seen as a straight second rower isn't making it easy for him. Really look forward to seeing him have a go at some stage this season.

T

Train Without a Station

I like Simmons as a lock. Sure he's not as flashy and as noticeable as Pyle, but he is excellent in the line out, makes plenty of tackles, hits rucks (would like to see him doing it more effectively than last weekend though), pushes in the scrum and has a good work rate.

I wouldn't be inclined to have him in a fully fit back row ever though. The Italy game was a good option based on available players, and the opponent. That would really not apply in this case. If we were playing the Stormers and it was part of a reshuffle and one of our first choice line out jumping back rowers was injured perhaps. But if you are talking about making those sort of changes, you should be going for Beau over Gill first before you start looking at playing blokes out of position.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think McDuling should begin as a Lock/6 cover on the bench ahead of O'Donoghue as his first step into the team.

I don't mind Ed O, but I think Dave would offer a little bit more.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
You'd expect McDuling to get a show ahead of Ed O'Donoghue off the bench at some stage, unless injuries occur first. I would expect that McDuling is a head of Enever in the pecking order at this stage, but that is my opinion.

Would like to see old stager O'Donoghue phased out as the season goes on.

Anyway, I would be shocked Horwill, O'Donoghue and Simmons all last the season without injury to any of them.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Just Googled him out of curiosity and Quirk is listed at 6'3" and nearly 240lb (108-109kg), there is no way this is correct, right? That sounds ridiculously far off.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Whenever McDuling plays for those dreaded Red Heavies in club footy, they lift. A really big unit, good ball runner, strong around the rucks, etc.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I'm starting to get impatient with the young guns not featuring in the Reds. Browning is one who comes to mind.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just Googled him out of curiosity and Quirk is listed at 6'3" and nearly 240lb (108-109kg), there is no way this is correct, right? That sounds ridiculously far off.

The height would be pretty close. Actually the weight is probably not to far off either. He is a solid bugger up close.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The height would be pretty close. Actually the weight is probably not to far off either. He is a solid bugger up close.

The height I can believe but that weight..he didn't look nearly that big when I saw him at Reds training over the Summer (your Winter). That would put him almost 15lb heavier than Schatz's listed weight! Schatz always has looked like a considerably thicker unit to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.