• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Re Harris v Tapaui.

I would like to hypothesise that many folk are confusing the 2011 models of the two with the current models.

On current form, Harris is a fair way ahead of Taps. If Taps gets back to his best though he won't have trouble nailing the 12 jersey down. It just seems a big 'if' at the moment. He's not been the same player since the broken collar bone in 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Am I the only one here that thinks our front row stocks are fine as they are?
Slipper(24), Holmes (30), Daley(25) are all very good props.
Anae (25) Owen (27) are both worth developing.
Most props hit their prime at 30 so I don't see the need to go for a Laurie Weeks type player.

Fixed.
I cannot see why they are persisting with Daley. Anae should be given an opportunity over him sooner than later.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Re Harris v Tapaui.

I would like to hypothesise that many folk are confusing the 2011 models of the two with the current models.

On current form, Harris is a fair way ahead of Taps. If Taps gets back to his best though he won't have trouble nailing the 12 jersey down. It just seems a big 'if' at the moment. He's not been the same player since the broken collar bone in 2012.

He hasn't been playing 12 this year though.

It just seems so illogical to say that his form at 13 is poor, therefore he should not play at 12 (particularly when he has always played well at 12 in the past, and always played fairly ordinary at 13).

T

tranquility

It just seems so illogical to say that his form at 13 is poor, therefore he should not play at 12 (particularly when he has always played well at 12 in the past, and always played fairly ordinary at 13).

Thankyou!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
@Eatsleepdrinkruck

For mine (at least with Schatz) it seems to be acceleration out of the first step that is the issue (as well as the static nature of our forward pods at times - they can't really be blamed for this as it is a systemic issue involving at least several moving..or not moving pieces). Schatz is on the lighter side for sure but still clocks in at 230-40 depending on who you ask and how big his last meal was. We just seem to lack much power-running in the pack outside of Kev when he's angry that can just stamp that lead foot down and power through the tackle if they get even a sniff of the weak shoulder.

@Suckerforred

We need penetration in close to make the space outside. Toua is a penetrating runner on the outside but will never be any use 1-2-3 out of the ruck where we are really lacking consistent impact right now to lay the best platform for the backs.

All that said I was really happy with the physicality the Reds pack showed over the weekend. Yes there were clear deficiencies at the breakdown but the Sharks were also getting away with fucking murder there. I don't like to talk about refs but that was one of the most one-eyed performances I've seen a ref pull off in a Reds game since 2010.

Anyway. The carrying as a whole from the entire team was a lot better and getting the consistent go-forward from 12-13 did a lot to open up our attack throughout the game. Cooper really can make things happen even with just a few inches of front foot ball.

They looked streets ahead of the mob who got whipped by the Tahs.

T

Tip

And yes I will accept the "I told you so's" about CFS at 13. He is proving me wrong. Now we just need Ant to pass on his defensive knowledge.
He's missed 2 tackles all season. He's not the Kurindrani type player that loves to jam either. His defense is fine. Does anyone remember him giving Issy Folau a "welcome to Rugby" first round last year?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

No he hasn't been playing 12 but he hasn't played well at 12 since early 2012. So it also seems illogical to say that he has played there well in the past as it's not really relevant to selection today. What we have is one player in form (Harris) and another who you can take your pick between:
1. Hasn't played well at 12 since 2012; or
2. Has zero current form at 12.

Either way, he will need to work hard and wait for his chance and then take it with both hands.
Like it or not, that's the way it works and it makes no sense to drop an in form player for someone who at the moment is a bit of an unknown.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
No he hasn't been playing 12 but he hasn't played well at 12 since early 2012. So it also seems illogical to say that he has played there well in the past as it's not really relevant to selection today. What we have is one player in form (Harris) and another who you can take your pick between:
1. Hasn't played well at 12 since 2012; or
2. Has zero current form at 12.

Either way, he will need to work hard and wait for his chance and then take it with both hands.
Like it or not, that's the way it works and it makes no sense to drop an in form player for someone who at the moment is a bit of an unknown.

Fair points too.

My heart is torn.

I like both Harris and Tapuai at 12, but lean slightly to the benefits that Taps (used to) bring. I guess we see things a little differently on this one.

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
"I don't like to talk about refs but that was one of the most one-eyed performances I've seen a ref pull off in a Reds game since 2010"

I think the game v Sharks in 2012 went close. Digby red carded for a monster hit on the the monster Coetzee. Still to this day do not believe it was dangerous tackle in a practical sense. Then to get 5 weeks on the sideline. I see Ben Mcalman got 2 weeks off for his tackle which I think is fair. More in line with common sense than the suspension given to Digby at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.