• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
we clearly need another back with injuries to Kerevi, Kurindrani, Toua and Turner.

No idea who might be available.

What stage is the Japanese season at the moment?

T

TOCC

There's a real shortage in the outside backs.. Both outside backs in the EPS are injured as well..

I don't think this is a marquee style import they're chasing, more just a short term contract to cover injuries

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Don't know if he's available but there's this guy that goes alright called Digby. A French fella I think? ;-)/quote]

Nah sorry, I lost a lot of respect for Digby after his last couple of months at the Reds and the way he carried himself. Plus he's barely gotten on the field in France due to injuries.

If anything, I'd see if Drew's willing to sub in for a couple of months, but I doubt the Frenchies would be willing to release him.

Looks like it finished in the middle of March so it'd have to be the off-season.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Given the history of most of our backs, it was not entirely unforeseen.

If it is short term, then why not try to fill the slot with some high profile dude from europe or japan? Preferably one who is known to be able to catch and hold on to the ball (that rules out Digby).

Perhaps they will deliver for the short term a couple of tries that tip the balance.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
we clearly need another back with injuries to Kerevi, Kurindrani, Toua and Turner.

No idea who might be available.

Kimami Sitauti is playing for Brothers at the moment, and is in the Reds WTS.

I have no idea how he is playing, but if you wanted someone with Super Rugby experience he'd be the next option for us.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
View attachment 4634 lets see if this works. I liked this:
After that happened I wondered why we would even go to a line out when given a penalty close to the line, why not tap and just for a rolling maul, this assures you of possession and allows you not to risk a stolen lineout. You could also line up 12 players in the maul, Genia at the back with QC (Quade Cooper) 20 metres away and then another 20 metres to Davies. If the maul does not work, 2 quick passes and the quickest player on the field has a one on one opportunity.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
BOD might be interested.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
We do need a high profile player, with the season at a tipping point we need something to ensure the crowds keep coming.
That being said, why cant we get some overseas forwards? Surely there are some big talented south Africans with lots of talent and no future due to restrictions based on their skin colour that want to play Super Rugby or tests?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Kimami Sitauti is playing for Brothers at the moment, and is in the Reds WTS.

I have no idea how he is playing, but if you wanted someone with Super Rugby experience he'd be the next option for us.

Is that where he landed up? He was looking really good for the Rebels at the end of last year, then looked more than handy in the ITM Cup as well. I was seriously unhappy we let him go and kept certain other outside backs on the roster. He's still got things to learn, but he's definitely up to it at this level. He's got pace, runs decent lines, can beat his man and isn't afraid to get stuck into rucks.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just had a thought though, how many 'marquee player' spots are we allowed?

If only one then that would be Ed O'Donoghue so we have to look for an Aussie........

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What about former Wallaby winger Radike Samo still going around in Japan? Maybe we could even play him in the backrow!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I would imagine the potential new recruit has to be a back as the QRU would be seeking permission from the ARU to sign a player temporarily due to the injuries we had. Just like Caleb Ralph in 2011 and didn't the Brumbies do it in 2012?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With the European season getting near the end, there are surely some decent players who are coming off contract and are barely being used currently due to teams only being left in one competition etc.

The Reds could surely find a couple of these sort of potential players and do a deal with their club to take them for the remainder of the season so their current club doesn't need to pay the salary of a player they're not using nor intend on re-signing.

The other one would be Japanese players who are currently in their off season.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Don't we have someone in the EPS or running around in clubland that we can bring in?

Give this bloke a shot?

iqKvYj1dlNKEY.gif

V. Mataitini for Reds A. Top try scorer in the Premier for last two seasons.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Give this bloke a shot?

iqKvYj1dlNKEY.gif

V. Mataitini for Reds A. Top try scorer in the Premier for last two seasons.

Good Premier player.....a long way off Super Rugby.

Don't get me wrong, he's got talent, but I just can't picture him playing any time soon. Very small as well.

We have a lot of quality outside backs, but you feel the likes of Taulagi, Placid, Kuridrani and Mataitini are a year or two off.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Good Premier player...a long way off Super Rugby.

Don't get me wrong, he's got talent, but I just can't picture him playing any time soon. Very small as well.

We have a lot of quality outside backs, but you feel the likes of Taulagi, Placid, Kuridrani and Mataitini are a year or two off.
Fair call, although Kuridrani looked the goods before he got injured.

Situati sounds like an option then. He has played Super and ITM and been in Super squads for 3 years.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I saw Kurindrani in a moon boot down at GPS on the weekend so obviously hes a fair way off but Kerevi was running water for the Gallopers. Maybe hes close to returning? Would be worth slotting him straight into 13 in the coming weeks. Could give the Reds a good ball runner out wide but depends what type of players they are looking at, he isn't a distributing type in the mould of Harris etc.

T

TOCC

I saw Kurindrani in a moon boot down at GPS on the weekend so obviously hes a fair way off but Kerevi was running water for the Gallopers. Maybe hes close to returning? Would be worth slotting him straight into 13 in the coming weeks. Could give the Reds a good ball runner out wide but depends what type of players they are looking at, he isn't a distributing type in the mould of Harris etc.

A combo of:
12 Taps
13 Kerevi
14 CFS
Does give the Reds some of that penetration out-wide that they have been lacking all season, not sure Kerevi is up to the starting role though.

Status
Not open for further replies.