• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Every example is a winger. Size isn't everything and you don't just pick the biggest bloke. Though in the forwards, barring a 7 where you sacrifice size for mobility, there is a point where bigger is better.

A good big bloke will beat an equally good small bloke and that's just a fact. At the same time you should never pick an inferior player due to size.

Anyway im not saying anybody is too small for super or international rugby. I am saying they neither have the size, or frame to amass the size to be a line bender.
Would the small bloke generally last longer in a game? This extra fitness could be as important as the weight advantage.

T

Train Without a Station

He'd last longer carrying his body weight around, but then any effective movement would likely take more out of him so since we are not playing AFL I doubt there would be a great deal of difference overall

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Not really too surprised. I sincerely don't think we have to worry about losing Kev or Quade until they are already too injured or too old to keep up with Super Rugby.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Not really too surprised. I sincerely don't think we have to worry about losing Kev or Quade until they are already too injured or too old to keep up with Super Rugby.
I hope that is the case, but if they ever go overseas there is always the chance their partners become homesick and the only spot is with an opposition team.

Congrats to Kev, I hope he celebrates by bringing back his ultra firey streak

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Think McCabe could be worth looking at for next year. He might be up for a change to get a weekly start. Harris is only just adequate at 12 and Taps is not favoured there by RG. He could also be a fantastic wing option with the skills he has acquired in last couple of years.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm now interested in changes to the coaching staff next year.

You noticed those stupid characters they have walking round at the home games. The ones that are sposed to look like the players. I think the Reds have disappeared into the business of marketing a professional sports team and forgotten that it is more important to have a winning team.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You noticed those stupid characters they have walking round at the home games. The ones that are sposed to look like the players. I think the Reds have disappeared into the business of marketing a professional sports team and forgotten that it is more important to have a winning team.
The kids love those characters. Now I'm sure you realise the marketing and playing parts of the Reds are completely separate.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm concerned that the season is going nowhere and the selection changes when not injury enforced have merely been minor shuffles back and forth to hooker and the wings.

Daley over Holmes was probably the first big selection change.

Quirk and shatz are severely underperforming and have started every single game now.

Robinson gave them a serious lesson tonight in both heart and ball running.

Graham needs to try and make changes to address weaknesses or bring up strengths. Why not try Horwill at 6 again and EOD start lock with mcduling on the bench. It may not have been a raging success 3 years ago but quirk at 7 was the biggest failing there. Tell him you want him racking up as many runs outside the posts and inside the 15s as he can and give it a try.

Graham needs to realise if he doesn't change anything, nothing is going to change.

I hope there's some strong words being spoken to graham about him needing to improve for the remainder of the year in order to have a future there

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Conceding rucks and not putting on pressure in defence is so frustrating. No wonder we get camped in our half, teams easily eat up metres to our 22 most of the time.

On attack it is hard to see any pattern or shape, and there's too much kicking with little point.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've said it elsewhere, and tell me if I'm bring unreasonable, but I don't see where our next win will come from.

Rebels most likely but by no means a sure thing.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think I want to have RG as coach anymore. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but somehow he has got this team to 12th (or worse) in half a season, and they look totally clueless.

If he did nothing at all and let the players to their own devices, I don't think that would be possible, so he must have some super retardation powers or something.

Probably some of the paying staff have to change as well for next year - but that's not going to happen with RG in charge, because no one will want to play for him knowing they will be playing for a losing side all the time, and that is not fun.

T

Train Without a Station

Gel it seems to me that too many have been left to there own devices.

Players don't appear to be as fit, hard working and generally motivated as they once were

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
its starting to look like a pattern with Mr Graham

Correct. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt considering he was going to spend time under McKenzie's wing before stepping up, but it's now clear he couldn't coach a fat kid to eat ice cream. Meehan needs to be bulleted as well.

Spear them now Jim Carmichael.

Slim pickings out there on the coaching front though even if we start looking now, unless we go for a smokey.

T

Train Without a Station

Fuck that is a ridiculous statement. "Spear them now" even though there's admittedly no ready replacement and potentially not much out there. I know plenty of great teams that constantly punt coaches within half a season with no thought to what the alternative will be. Oh hang on.

Jim, put the hard word on woody, tell him he's under pressure and see who's out there. That includes potential assistants.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Reds have no shape in defense or attack. The new boys - Toua, JJ etc - don't even look like they have had any coaching to prepare them for Super Rugby. The existing players have little fitness and appear to have no concept of a game plan. This is all coaching related stuff. And for a coach who was given a year or more in advance with the side before taking over, the results are inexcusable. Makes me even wonder if the rubbish from last year was partly Mr Graham's fault - the Reds players who made Wallaby's last year looked a lot better with only Link's influence rather then Link + RG with the Reds.

They need to start looking for a new coach now. They can boot RG when they find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.