• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Probably quite right - and I know that I bought-in, but I must say, when I was a kid, there were two types of players... magic players with silky skills, like Poido, Ella, Hawker, Slack, Moon... and there were other players you just chose not to have an opinion on...

(Put simply - They had a Wallaby Jersey, and You DIDN'T)... Not to say you couldn't criticise - just that it ought to show a little insight and intelligence. The cheap-shot types usually got sorted out on the field.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
No contradiction. I asked 'what has happened to him' - I know he was out with injury for a large slab of last year, but have not seen or heard of him this year since ( i think it was) the first Reds trial...

In my opinion he had alot of potential, at the time of his first Test (and there were obviously alot of others who felt the same way). But he is yet to fullfill it - clearly.

I don't agree with all your opinions in regards to his game, but they are at least, real opinions... Not the nonsense of him "having zero rugby skills" - patent rubbish.

As to the internet - well, even my generation knew about Opinions and Arseholes....

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
And he has made his way back from injury to take a spot on the bench this Friday.
Rocket Rod isn't the complete package but to say he has zero skills is just ignorant..... or a typically one eyed comment from a borderline troll.

T

tranquility

This is what really annoys me about Rugby followers in the professional era. smug comments like the above, which pass for informed opinion, when the Queensland Reds, Ewa nMcEnzie, Robbie Deans and the other Wallaby Selectors have all seen fit to put him in both Reds - and Wallaby Colours.

Sideline Warriors just...(@#$%^&*) I don't even comprehend what delusions go on inside their minds. Australian Rugby certainly does not have the depth to be discounting outside backs lightly. Scoey and Suckerfored, thanks for sensible response.

My generation (at least), grew up to be proud of the blokes who played for the Wallabies, and would have given our right arms to be in their position. Taking Cheap shots from the sidelines was not a part of Rugby Culture back then - it was Mungo Territory.

Spot on, best post I have read in a while.

Note; I accidently quoted Qwertys dribble - but meant to quote this.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
The biggest issue that I see with Rocket Rod is the fact that he appears to be susceptible to injury. I don't think any of use can make a call on his rugby skills cause we have never seen enough of his skills to make an informed comment. Unless you have been to each and every one of his games and training sessions over the last few years - guessing Link would have a fair idea and he wouldn't have been to all of them.

If, as my hazy memory informs me, the Reds have re-signed him then they obviously see some benefit in having him around. With the talent that was floating around in the Brisbane comp last year it would have been easy for them to sign someone else.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
They will Being defending champions of 2013 so 14 will be a even better year for the reds

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The only bit I will add about about Rod Davies is that his handling seems fairly average for someone of his style of play.

His greatest asset is obviously his blistering speed. For someone like that you'd think it would be critical that their ball handling skills are second to none so that they can make the most of any opportunity that comes their way.

Croks

Bob McCowan (2)
Just read story in the Australian that the ARU are not offering Gill a top up!! If this is true can they really be that crazy. He has to be one if the most promising players currently.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
If the ARU are being that tight, it does make you wonder how many players coming off contract won't be able to be retained due to lack of top up & salary cap!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just read story in the Australian that the ARU are not offering Gill a top up!! If this is true can they really be that crazy. He has to be one if the most promising players currently.

It's probably sad but true.

Based on 2012, he's third in line behind Pocock and Hooper for the 7 jersey.

If they are only looking to offer around 25 guaranteed top up contracts it is hard to give three to one position.

He will be on the same contract as every other player which involves match fees for each Wallaby test and then a guaranteed base contract once you play a certain number of tests (which I believe is 6). He would have received this last season after playing 8 tests off the bench.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
On Rod's one test cap, lets not forget also how that came to be. He was named on the wing, at late notice in the Aus side to take on Samoa.

The player originally named to play on the wing was James O'Connor. When the Samoa team was named and it was revealed that JOC (James O'Connor) would be marking Alesana Tuilagi, JOC (James O'Connor) pulled out of the game with 'muscle soreness'. Rocket was thrown in to the suicide mission that it was and was comprehensively dealt with by Tuilagi and then tossed onto the Wallabies scrap heap. Not even two days later JOC (James O'Connor) declared himself fit for selection for the first Bled I think it was. This from a guy who is well known for managing his "brand"; Rocket was only ever cannon fodder.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That was a terrible game to debut and he was not the worst out there. Thanks to Gits crabbing he regularly found himself receiving the ball so close to the sideline that the Samoan wingers had a very easy job of getting him into touch.

Will be good to see him back as he has the ability to make it as a regular Super Rugby player if he can stay fit. It just won't be with the Reds.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
This is a joke. How does Ben McCalman get a 2 year top up when he can't even start for his Super team and Gill, who would be close to the best Australian Super player so far this year not get a look in.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
On Rod's one test cap, lets not forget also how that came to be. He was named on the wing, at late notice in the Aus side to take on Samoa.

The player originally named to play on the wing was James O'Connor. When the Samoa team was named and it was revealed that JOC (James O'Connor) would be marking Alesana Tuilagi, JOC (James O'Connor) pulled out of the game with 'muscle soreness'. Rocket was thrown in to the suicide mission that it was and was comprehensively dealt with by Tuilagi and then tossed onto the Wallabies scrap heap. Not even two days later JOC (James O'Connor) declared himself fit for selection for the first Bled I think it was. This from a guy who is well known for managing his "brand"; Rocket was only ever cannon fodder.

he got absolutely murdered that game and offered little in a side that offered even less.
I do think its important to note that putting a guy who is 5 apples high up against the closest thing there has ever been to a new Jonah is a bit unfair. and to judge rocket rod on this is harsh.
i'm not his biggest fan, but he did show courage. Tuilagi absolutely belted him (and pretty much everyone else) and to my knowledge the only two guys who kept going back were rod and gerrard (that one hit on gerrard was absolutely savage).
hard for any winger to shine in that game. JOC (James O'Connor) would've probably been broken after that game, any winger should've been so hats off to rod

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
That was a terrible game to debut and he was not the worst out there. Thanks to Gits crabbing he regularly found himself receiving the ball so close to the sideline that the Samoan wingers had a very easy job of getting him into touch.

Will be good to see him back as he has the ability to make it as a regular Super Rugby player if he can stay fit. It just won't be with the Reds.
i'd be very happy for the rebs to pick him up. we are astoundingly short on wingers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is a joke. How does Ben McCalman get a 2 year top up when he can't even start for his Super team and Gill, who would be close to the best Australian Super player so far this year not get a look in.

I don't believe that when it is announced that someone has extended their contract with their Super Rugby team and the ARU for a further two years that it automatically means they have a guaranteed top up contract.

Every Australian Super Rugby player has to sign with the ARU. It doesn't mean they have a guaranteed Wallaby payment even if they don't play a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.