• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
So this is my first season as a Reds member, my former wife hated Rugby but the new one loves it :)

I have watched plenty of vision from the previous years where the Reds actually attacked with the ball and I note in the first half yesterday that's what they were doing more of, in fact it's probably the first time we've gone into the sheds with the possession being split 50/50.

It's like RG told them to stop what they were doing in the first half and go back to his game plan of poor defence and kicking the ball away.

It's like the trust has been coached out of this team. I actually think the forwards have been doing quite well this year with a number of positives, but it's clear to me the back line has very little respect or trust for them thinking they need to kick away possession in order to get up the field and I think that comes from RG.

I think we have room to move in the squad, with some positional changes. Chibba should be the starting Hooker no question in my mind, Saia just doesn't do anything for me atm. No 8 is a problem, Schatzdoesn't seem to be providing the influence I feel a good 8 man should.
We also need a fullback, Mike Harris needs to be back in the centers with some tarzan grip on his hands to help the ball stick.
For me Beau Robinson has been a standout this year, his work ethic is great. He needs to be a starting Flanker.
Overall though I think RG is trying to implement a style of play not suited to this playing group. I believe Link also tried this and soon realised it wouldn't work and adapted a program around his players strengths.
Not sure sacking RG is the answer at this point, well it is if he refuses to adapt to the playing group he has and let them play running Rugby. We need some squad changes, but what I think we need most is a change in mindset and attitude.

Mate wonder you got rid of the first one - seems like a good reason

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
The decision for the board should be simple.

Can Graham win the Super Rugby title next year? If they don't believe he can, he goes asap.

This isn't u7s. There is no such thing as "improving". Every team starts the year at 0 points and every team should aim to win. It's professional sport.

There are 30-odd thousand people who bought memberships to watch this garbage this year. Many of whom left at 60 minutes on the weekend and probably won't be back.

The difference between Graham and Jones, Miller, Slack and Mooney is that Graham has the cattle, he has no excuses. Sure losing in those days hurt, but there were only two players in the Reds back then that would get a start anywhere else (Horwill and Hynes). Now we have a team that won the comp 2 years ago. Despite 2 players leaving, the rest are now far more experience. We went 1st, 1st, 2nd and now 5th in own own conference. That is not cattle, not when they are this young. We're so young we still look like boys playing men.

You only have to look at Quade to see where this needs to go. End of last year he was being mentioned in World XVs, now he would miss out on the Wallabies if picked on form.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
James O'Connor linked with Reds:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...one-to-stop-rot/story-e6frg7o6-1226913882073#

RUMOURS intensified that exiled Wallabies utility James O’Connor is heading to Ballymore next season after the Queensland Reds were handed the mother of all Super Rugby floggings by the Crusaders yesterday at Suncorp Stadium.

QRU chief executive Jim Carmichael declined to comment on strong rumours O’Connor was to join Queensland next year in the lead-up to the World Cup, except to note that if there was one organisation that could get the best out of the wayward winger, it was the Reds. However, sources have told The Australian O’Connor has been secured and on reasonable money, reportedly against the wishes of head coach Richard Graham, who sent him packing from the Force three years ago.

O’Connor would be a controversial signing, given his record of causing mayhem, and his critics would fret that he might cause the Reds’ culture to unravel. That said, if ever there was evidence the 2011 champions desperately needed an injection of talent and confidence, yesterday’s 57-29 defeat surely provided it.

I think the culture is already unravelling nicely. Hopefully O'Connor has learned something overseas.

But probably not, because he most likely sees himself as a saviour.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Reports from the press conference say Horwill paused for an eternity when asked what was wrong with the team before delivering the ususal pre-programmed response.
I can't help but wonder what response he was evaluating during the pause? That's the response I want to hear because it would be the honest one.

See and hear it for yourself
scroll to about 26 mins in

ruggamuffin78

Frank Row (1)
RG stated last week that the team was going to focus on defence and we had 57 points scored against us! This catastrophic failure proves that RG is not able to get his point across to the team or that the team simply aren't interested in what he has to say.
Either way, RG cannot be left in charge as the damage will only continue. Each week the same mistakes are made and there is no decernable improvement.
Well functioning organisations take decisive action when it is clear that there are problems. Poor organisations make nothing statements about 'trying harder' and 'just having to keep going' as the body-count increasaes each week.
Reports from the press conference say Horwill paused for an eternity when asked what was wrong with the team before delivering the ususal pre-programmed response.
I can't help but wonder what response he was evaluating during the pause? That's the response I want to hear because it would be the honest one.

That's an unprofessional approach to a fix, the players need to be accountable for their own performance. Bloody Jamie Jerry alone let in three soft tries, Quade assisted in two. You can't blame the entire team when it was so clear those two blokes had a shocker. The positive about the match was the 1st 46 mins we looked very solid, kept the game plan basic and executed our set moves perfectly ( a testament to the coaches). The reds forwards got caught off guard realigning slowly when the saders went across for their 2nd try. This was the pivotal point of the match. It all comes down to attitude! Attitude is the driving force on how a person reacts to a situation. Great teams focus and pull things back to basics, not so great teams become indifferent and try all the low precenters. Off the field it's the coaches job to unite the team, on the field it's the captain. Simple concept, I don't know why they aren't keeping it simple. Jamie Jerry is still very young so simplicity can still be coached into him, not sure about some of the other blokes though! We can only hope.
Go the Reds!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diomac

Frank Nicholson (4)
Seems to me if they have signed O'Connor against the express wishes of RG and knowing disharmony is lethal for a footy side I have to wonder if RG isn't a factor in their thinking going forward?

I also thought RG was meant to have free reign over recruitment now? What's RG's winning % these days between the Reds and the Force? 26%? That wouldn't fly in my son's under 12 team I don't reckon.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So this is my first season as a Reds member, my former wife hated Rugby but the new one loves it :)

I have watched plenty of vision from the previous years where the Reds actually attacked with the ball and I note in the first half yesterday that's what they were doing more of, in fact it's probably the first time we've gone into the sheds with the possession being split 50/50.

It's like RG told them to stop what they were doing in the first half and go back to his game plan of poor defence and kicking the ball away.

It's like the trust has been coached out of this team. I actually think the forwards have been doing quite well this year with a number of positives, but it's clear to me the back line has very little respect or trust for them thinking they need to kick away possession in order to get up the field and I think that comes from RG.

I think we have room to move in the squad, with some positional changes. Chibba should be the starting Hooker no question in my mind, Saia just doesn't do anything for me atm. No 8 is a problem, Schatzdoesn't seem to be providing the influence I feel a good 8 man should.
We also need a fullback, Mike Harris needs to be back in the centers with some tarzan grip on his hands to help the ball stick.
For me Beau Robinson has been a standout this year, his work ethic is great. He needs to be a starting Flanker.
Overall though I think RG is trying to implement a style of play not suited to this playing group. I believe Link also tried this and soon realised it wouldn't work and adapted a program around his players strengths.
Not sure sacking RG is the answer at this point, well it is if he refuses to adapt to the playing group he has and let them play running Rugby. We need some squad changes, but what I think we need most is a change in mindset and attitude.

spoke quickly to him post-game and this is exactly the opposite to what he said. He said the focus was on maintaining the game plan from the first half. Then see what happens in that first 5 minutes.

This is a group issue. If the Graham really did have a meeting to confront the players and asked them if there was an issue and if, as the reports suggest, the players didn't speak up with any issues they had then I maintain the issue is more with the players than the coach.

T

Train Without a Station

Attitude is a reflection of the coach too. In addition to training it's their job to motivate the team and instil discipline in every facet of execution. Simply good players don't magically become shit generally. Something changes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hmmm, thanks BJ:
- Graham claims no concerns fitness wise
- Graham claimed he liked their shape despite being asked about being one out runners
- Hinted that kicking to the corners was their game plan (against the Crusaders? REALLY?)
- Horwill pause at 29:00 minutes
- Horwill basically says that their game plan was to kick and play in the Crusaders half (against the Crusaders? REALLY?)
- Asked about Graham's game plan, Graham said that they played to it in the first half
- Asked about his instructions at half time, Graham just mentioned that the two quick tries were scored and they lost composure
- Asked about if now is the time for developing for next year, Graham said that now is the time to win
- Graham said that he hasn't been in the change room yet (!)
- Horwill says that the top teams (Brumbies, Sharks) don't play rugby in their own half, and that's the way the game has gone. They want to get balance, not just kick

Dagg is far better a kicker than anyone the Reds have, and the Reds wingers can't really kick, so it's worrying that they tried that game plan.

What worries me is that the Reds are only scoring tries from close range, and it sounds like their game plan is to kick away any ball in their own half.

Sounded like RugbyReg's voice asking some questions in there.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not a big fan of backing players over the coach. The Reds senior management need to determine if this is a specific problem with the group and Graham, or the group and any coach other than Link.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
spoke quickly to him post-game and this is exactly the opposite to what he said. He said the focus was on maintaining the game plan from the first half. Then see what happens in that first 5 minutes.

This is a group issue. If the Graham really did have a meeting to confront the players and asked them if there was an issue and if, as the reports suggest, the players didn't speak up with any issues they had then I maintain the issue is more with the players than the coach.

Of all the intriguing defences of RG I am slowly cataloguing after his appalling w-l% ratio with the Force and now ditto at the Reds (where he's been in various capacities since September 2012), this new one is a novel variant.

Let's assume the now famous alleged 'team truth meeting' initiated by RG actually happened. And the team as one did not raise a single murmur or issue.

Well, in my lengthy experience of managing teams of people and also watching others do it, when a team is asked by their boss(es) in an open forum 'if they have issues with management or a manager in any way' and they all say fuck all, it's just as credible a likelihood that either they have given up trying to communicate their concerns and perceive their opinions are not listened to, and/or they're in some way sure that ventilating criticism will negatively affect their positions with the elite.

You may be right Reg, but the alternative view I outlined above is just as real a possibility.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Seems to me the players lost the plot in the 2nd 1/2,and totally played ad hoc.
The onfield leadership group includes Big Kev,Genia & QC (Quade Cooper),they all have a big part in any failings in this group.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
James O'Connor linked with Reds:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...one-to-stop-rot/story-e6frg7o6-1226913882073#

I think the culture is already unravelling nicely. Hopefully O'Connor has learned something overseas.

But probably not, because he most likely sees himself as a saviour.

The thing with O'Connor is an interesting one.

I have been told by some well informed people at the Force they were happy to have him but he only wants to sign a 1 year deal which will allow him to play in the RWC and then he wants to play 7s, go to the Olympics and after that return to France for the big money.

Every thing in the discussions was about what he wanted to get out of his time at the Force and not about what he can give to the team which didn't sit well with the new management.

That's the reason he wont be at the Force i guess its up to the Reds now to decide if that's the type of player they want to have around the team.

I have been JOC (James O'Connor)'s biggest fan over the years but if you don't want to contribute to the team than we don't want you. Really Shows the Force aren't a stepping stone team for players anymore.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The thing with O'Connor is an interesting one.

I have been told by some well informed people at the Force they were happy to have him but he only wants to sign a 1 year deal which will allow him to play in the RWC and then he wants to play 7s, go to the Olympics and after that return to France for the big money.

Every thing in the discussions was about what he wanted to get out of his time at the Force and not about what he can give to the team which didn't sit well with the new management.

That's the reason he wont be at the Force i guess its up to the Reds now to decide if that's the type of player they want to have around the team.

I have been JOC (James O'Connor)'s biggest fan over the years but if you don't want to contribute to the team than we don't want you. Really Shows the Force aren't a stepping stone team for players anymore.

All good points GCO, but the notion that hiring JO'C - whose performances for the Force and Rebels in recent years were far from highly consistent or typically outstanding - is somehow 'a big fix' or even a big part of a fix for the far deeper 2014 Reds' problems is utterly laughable.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Dagg is far better a kicker than anyone the Reds have, and the Reds wingers can't really kick, so it's worrying that they tried that game plan.

The game plan was working in the first half, the kicks were good, found touch and bounced out. However, this went to shit in the second half by mindless kicks by Cooper and Harris. The game plan of not playing in your half sounds good, especially considering the Reds penalty record (and because of that, having to chase games). The first half was the first time in a LONG time that I can remember the Reds being up at oranges, not down by 10+.

If the Reds actually had composure, didn't give away penalties and put pressure on the opposition we may actually convert some field position into points. But how often do you see us getting into the opposition 22, someone gives away a stupid penalty (like pulling the opposition down in the air, not rolling away in the ruck etc), the other team boots it up into our 10-22 and we're on the back foot.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Will the Reds crisis meeting with Jim be similar to the clip.
Seem the ideas getting thrown around the group are not working....

diomac

Frank Nicholson (4)
spoke quickly to him post-game and this is exactly the opposite to what he said.

Reg where is the kicking away from possession coming from? Horwill alluded to it being "how the game is being played now" in the press conference but from what I can see it was not attribute while Link was at the helm?

This emphasis on not playing in your own half they keep referring to seem's like a new addition and an unwelcome one as these results are showing.

Did the playing group come up with this and they haven't been adhering to RG's instructions all year? or is it an attitude coming from the top down? This desire they have for balance seem's more like jack of all trades and master of none stuff.

Really strikes me odd the comments of Horwill last night given in the first half the Reds did play and run the ball in their own half and were successful for it.

All too often we have been kicking the ball away and in return we have passages of 10-15 minutes where our possession drops to 5-6%. It's like the Reds have an identity crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom