• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Shatzie is a very good player. Reasonably big but not a standout big bloke. He has a good work ethic, and is a good lineout option. Very well respected member of the team and a real team player.

For the bloke to take the next step up he needs to be super super fit and become an absolute tackling monster. His ball carries normally are not great simply because he is not a huge unit. He doesn't have the leg speed of a Hooper so gets picked off easier (than a Hooper).

I just think he could compete at the higher level if he re-defined the way he brings his undoubted skills to the game.

T

Train Without a Station

Scrubber either I'm going fucking loopy or you're starting to make some real sense because I couldn't agree with you more. Where he is lacking he's not going to suddenly because a world beater so he needs to be better at what he is good at.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I will buy a membership every year no matter who they sign or how crap they're playing.

If they revert back to 2006-2009 form, QRU better start reducing the rum prices and bring in full strength beers at Suncorp. Otherwise it'll be reaaaaaaaaal tough for the fans to sit through 80 minutes of "entertainment".

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If true, thing just got very interesting indeed.

Could be very embarassing for the Reds. Will be interesting to see what happens.

What have Toulon said publicly so far?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I wouldn't be surprised, he seems to be enjoying his rugby over there, the lifestyle and the pay cheque definitely suit him perfectly. He gets to hang out with all his aussie lads, smashing teams with fair inferior rosters every week all the while watching the wallabies and saying to his new best mates 'I would've scored that try'. He's a prick.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Shatzie is a very good player. Reasonably big but not a standout big bloke. He has a good work ethic, and is a good lineout option. Very well respected member of the team and a real team player.

For the bloke to take the next step up he needs to be super super fit and become an absolute tackling monster. His ball carries normally are not great simply because he is not a huge unit. He doesn't have the leg speed of a Hooper so gets picked off easier (than a Hooper).

I just think he could compete at the higher level if he re-defined the way he brings his undoubted skills to the game.
I just don't see it.
He was replaced by a kid in the NRC last week, and on that performance I would be picking the kid from now on.
I think he has reached his limit.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I've been having a think who can be our Jacpot, a crazy bastard who hits hard in the backrow. I've looked at SA since they have a relaxed policy on selecting overseas based players and they generally breed said crazy bastards. Jean Deysel would be a great pick up, as he is insane and exactly what we need. Especially since he is on the outer in SA.

watch him wreck some people

He did just sign for a team in Japan for two years, but with differing seasons, there's potential.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I just don't see it.
He was replaced by a kid in the NRC last week, and on that performance I would be picking the kid from now on.
I think he has reached his limit.

I agree he has reached his limit - the way he plays the game now.

Was just saying that he needs to increase an area of performance he is capable of. A fucking menacing mongrel, fearless tackler. His attack is somewhat limited because of size. But to do that he has to be crazy fit.

He sure won't win the Pilecki award this year. Has to be Simmons or Slipper

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I've been having a think who can be our Jacpot, a crazy bastard who hits hard in the backrow. I've looked at SA since they have a relaxed policy on selecting overseas based players and they generally breed said crazy bastards. Jean Deysel would be a great pick up, as he is insane and exactly what we need. Especially since he is on the outer in SA.

watch him wreck some people

He did just sign for a team in Japan for two years, but with differing seasons, there's potential.

You nailed it. He would've been perfect for the Reds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeh its crap - not true
but tongan thor does want to be a wallaby - but he wants to be apart of team tonga at the waratahs

Born-red. You're speaking crap again. You admitted 60 odd pages ago that it was crap about Chabal. Why start the crap again?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
This is interesting..

Should an Australian provincial deal not be forthcoming, O’Connor would likely exercise an two-year option on his current deal with French Top 14 champions Toulon.

“Initially, anyway, an Australian province needs to want to hire me. But there is no guarantee I’ll be included in the squad for the World Cup. If they don’t plan to pick me, I’ll stay at Toulon next winter.”

Interesting that this seems to align with recent media reports but its could merely be coincidence or a beat up. But knowing that he may already have an option with RCT before he even gets to the Reds does raise some questions.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...world-cup-claims/story-fnii0ksb-1227032684151

T

TOCC

I can't watch the video so what's the issue?
If he doesn't sign with the Reds he has made contingency plans to remain in France..

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Maybe this is the right place to ask this, but is there anyone here who has a tie in with the QRU/Reds organisation? I am just wondering why they have recently been hellbent on trying to lure anybody and everybody while at the same time treating existing members like <insert inappropriate language here>. I have seen a few email promotions in the recent past, similar to the one I received today. Today, they are asking people to update/confirm their details with the carrot of a free 2015 membership. While that is ok, clauses 4 and 5 of the promotion tell a different story ie:

(excerpt from conditions)
4. Should the winner be a current member they will be entitled to have the cost of their existing 2014 membership package paid for by the Queensland Rugby Union for 2015.
5. Should the winner not be a current member they will be entitled to a Gold Full Season membership to be paid for by the Queensland Rugby Union for 2015.

So members who are silver, or forever red or some other lesser membership package cost get renewed while if you are not a member and never have contributed a cent to the Reds you got a chance of a free gold membership.

I don't understand the discrimination.

Actually, it doesn't matter to me anyway (I am a Reds member), as to even be able to do this update/confirm you have to give them your mobile phone number. Since I don't currently have a mobile phone - I am disqualified.

I don't understand what they are trying to achieve other then to tell me they don't want me as a member. Considering I have emailed them a couple of times asking about this and so far never received a response, I guess that must be true.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If he doesn't sign with the Reds he has made contingency plans to remain in France..
They are tweets that Qwerty has linked to. They say:

@gavinmortimer7: M.O has a message for the Queensland Reds concerning James O'Connor. That 2 year deal you intend to unveil on Friday night at Gala Ball...

And the second one is:

@gavinmortimer7: ...well, O'Connor has signed 3 year deal with RCT. M.O says the player & his parents will meet Bernard Laporte today to discuss his future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
In the JOC (James O'Connor) Gooooone thread Qwerty has gone on to say that the 3 year deal with Toulon is for after the RWC. So if true he has ended any speculation about his intentions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

From a players point of view I thinks its smart to have options in place.

From what we are hearing the European press are adamant that he has RCT contact in play for future, (after the RWC is what being suggested and similar to what JOC (James O'Connor) has eluded to) the Reds are poised to announce a 2 year deal, and JOC (James O'Connor)'s management has denied any RCT beyond December since early this year, in conflict with what JOC (James O'Connor) is saying.

The waters are rather muddy at the moment.

Its a hell interesting story and I will be eager to see the outcome, but I really hope that the Reds and supporters don't get burnt by JOC (James O'Connor).

T

Tip

Born-red. You're speaking crap again. You admitted 60 odd pages ago that it was crap about Chabal. Why start the crap again?

I hope a reaction of this candour was put forth 10 pages ago when people started to talk bout Fuifui Moimoi, otherwise - you're being a condescending twit.

It's funny that his story / rumour is exactly the same that has been spat out in News Limited papers (The Oz, Courier Mail).

I have a ladder if you needed help getting off your highhorse because this is a constructive forum and Born-red is contributing to the thread. I'd much rather have contributors who post what they've heard from their mates than the contributor such as yourself who hounds the man for his post in hindsight.

It is condescending posts such as these @RugbyReg where you actively "play the man not the ball" which has G&GR followers flocking to TheRoar.

@RugbyReg, you would never treat Scoey, TOCC, Braveheart etc as such, but thankyou for taking the liberty to berate born-red.

Here's the ladder you're looking for
|-|
|-|
|-|
|-|

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I didn't like your post for what was in it.. (don't disagree or agree, not taking sides). I just enjoyed your ladder, good banter.

Status
Not open for further replies.