• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Are the EDS players under any contractual obligations with the Reds? I'd imagine it would all be unpaid training. If another team comes along and wants to offer them a more secure, paid position I wonder if they'd be free to leave.

A few players I'd imagine in the EDS would be getting some sort of payment. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the signings play out.

B

Bobby Sands

A few players I'd imagine in the EDS would be getting some sort of payment. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the signings play out.

They would all be getting 'paid.' Except it wouldn't be next to nothing, it would actually be nothing. All players in that squad would be free to be poached by another states EPS.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I read through the press release. The impression I got is that there is going to be a shit load of stuff going on at Ballymore next year. The breakdown seems to be as follows

Reds Super Rugby Squad of 35 (not sure if 5 of those count as "EPS" with the injury stipulation. I don't think so). Outside of this there will be some WTS which is unpaid (and probably older) club players who will train with the Reds as much as they can around uni/work etc. A subdivision of that is going to be the EDS, in which the boys are awarded contracts on small (or maybe no) money in order to keep them in QLD. The EDS is obviously aimed at younger fellas who aren't yet fully ready for regular Super Rugby game time and are maybe less likely to be called upon in the event of an injury crisis. Mostly it's just a retention tool.

Then there is Reds U20's which is just the cream of the crop from the Colts comp who train a few times per week in preparation for the national U20's comp and potential Aus u20's selection.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
probably nailed it @Hammertime, although I'd say a fair number of the EDS lads will also be in the Reds U20 programme.

Some of the younger of the EDS lads may drop out of the U20 programme as the U20 squad is whittled down and finalised for National U20's. They will be seen as longer term prospects for the 2016 Reds U20's.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
probably nailed it @Hammertime, although I'd say a fair number of the EDS lads will also be in the Reds U20 programme.

Some of the younger of the EDS lads may drop out of the U20 programme as the U20 squad is whittled down and finalised for National U20's. They will be seen as longer term prospects for the 2016 Reds U20's.

do you know the "origin" of the EDS players?
i mean, are they straight out of school, from clubs, or?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
do you know the "origin" of the EDS players?
i mean, are they straight out of school, from clubs, or?

both:

Queensland Rugby Union today celebrated the success of its Buildcorp National Rugby Championship sides, with the announcement that eight players have been rewarded with St.George Queensland Reds Elite Development Squad contracts for the 2015 season and beyond.

The up-and-coming players from Queensland Rugby’s two NRC sides were signed along with a number of Queensland Schoolboys stars.

The Elite Development Squad will be overseen by Paul Carozza in his role as program co-ordinator and the addition of 2014 GPS title-winning coach Jason Gilmore of Anglican Church Grammar School, who will be the head coach of the program.

The Reds Elite Development squad is an initiative by Queensland Rugby designed to ensure the Reds retain the best talent the state has to offer. Those in the squad, which will train mostly with the Reds Under 20s and Wider Training Squad, are expected to be the next crop of Reds stars.

From Brisbane City, the Reds Elite Development squad will feature props Sef Faagase and Pettowa Paraka; loose forwards Adam Korczyk, Brad Wilkin and Michael Gunn; and flyhalf Jake McIntyre.

Faagase, Paraka and McIntyre were yesterday named in the McInnes Wilson Lawyers Brisbane City side which will contest the inaugural NRC Grand Final at Ballymore Stadium tomorrow. They will be joined in that match by fellow Elite Development Squad recruit Korczyk, who has been named on the bench.

Bond University Queensland Country backs James Tuttle and Sam Johnson, who made his Super Rugby debut for the Reds in 2014, have also received contracts.

A number of Queensland’s best schoolboys players have also committed to the program, including Anglican Church Grammar School and Australian Schoolboys captain Harley Fox.

He will be joined by schoolmates Izaia Perese (Australian Schoolboys) and loose forward Angus Scott-Young, son of former Reds and Wallabies hard man Sam Scott-Young.

Other Queensland Schoolboys have also committed to the program, including Tuaina Tualima (Australian Schoolboys) from Brisbane State High, Ipswich Grammar School lock Izack Rodda, The Southport School winger Joey Fittock and St. Joseph College – Gregory Terrace openside flanker Conor Moroney, who was named the Australian Schoolboys’ best player in 2014.

Reds head coach Richard Graham commended the players for their work throughout the season and for their contributions throughout Super Rugby, Queensland Premier Rugby and the National Rugby Championship.

“Congratulations to the players for achieving an Elite Development Contract with the Reds and QRU. It is an acknowledgement of the quality of Rugby across the different competitions and character of each individual,” Graham said.

“There is an enormous amount of hard work ahead and the players committed to being the best will be successful. There is no doubt the QRU and Reds staff will create a training environment for them to reach their potential.

“The QRU has worked hard to create this initiative and
aspirational pathway aligned to the Reds. I am looking forward to watching each player develop within our programs.”

Queensland Rugby will make further announcements regarding the Reds Elite Development Squad in the coming weeks.

Two spots remain in the Reds’ 2015 Super Rugby squad, with Graham targeting a prop and an outside back for the final positions.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pretty sure that the EPS + main squad is something like 35, but the main squad can be up to 31 or so?

Anyway, assuming the Reds don't mind relying on Faagase and Paraka next year from then EDS, plus maybe McIntyre as well from the EDS, then the Reds are probably still short a prop, lock, halfback and outside back to come into the last four positions in the main squad and EPS. Of those, only the prop needs to be in the main squad, rest could be EPS.

Currently in the EPS is flanker / number 8 Lolo Fakaosilea and hooker Ready.

Wouldn't mind see guys like Pincus, who I thought wasn't bad for Qld County, in the EDS as well (although I don't know Pincus' age / situation).

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Does that make Paraka the PNG hulk?
PNG Hulk is only like 21? He even looks like he has some endurance in that massive frame of his. With hard work and dedication in the right environment, how good could he be?

I rekon he'll be another that really excels at the Reds.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that the Reds can afford to have 30 in their main squad, and 5 in the EPS. They really only need one more THP prop in the main squad, and maybe another THP in the EPS / EDS if Holmes won't make the start of the season, if they are confident on relying on Paraka and Faagase if one gets injured.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think that the Reds can afford to have 30 in their main squad, and 5 in the EPS. They really only need one more THP prop in the main squad, and maybe another THP in the EPS / EDS if Holmes won't make the start of the season, if they are confident on relying on Paraka and Faagase if one gets injured.

Based on the EDS article they're looking for a prop and an outside back to fill the last spots in the main squad:

Two spots remain in the Reds’ 2015 Super Rugby squad, with Graham targeting a prop and an outside back for the final positions.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, saw that.

Not sure why they need an outside back, though, other than belief that Turner and CFS are both going to get injured before the season even really starts. Which, is probably fair enough.

CFS: wing/centre
Kuridrani: wing
Turner: wing/fullback
JOC (James O'Connor): wing/fullback/12/nota10
Hunt: fullback/?
Tuilagi: fullback/wing

That's 6 outside backs for maybe 4 spots in the matchday 23. Not sure that an outside back is really needed in the main squad.

I was pretty impressed with Kuridrani in the NRC. Turner may struggle to get a spot in the matchday 23 even if he stays healthy as the season progresses.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is he signed to a Premier Colts or Grade Club?

Pre-season training will be starting soon. All should be revealed then.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He's obviously signed with the Reds, just not sure what contract. He'll do his pre-season training with the Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.