• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

Regarding the TH prop situation, it appears to me that the Reds rate Talakai & Sef and are not counting Thor out of the running either. By keeping the spot open, it ensure that all and especially the two older lads are training as if their life depends on it, because realistically their career does. Very savvy list management.

Given that we only have three props signed to the senior squad both will be required for the 23. However I think Daley would sooner move to LH and Slipper to TH rather than have one start, but who knows I'm sure they are both up to it.

Thor is the wildcard, officials have already said that he is much further ahead of where they had expected of him both in fitness and technique. Obviously he won't be looked at as a genuine option next year, but he could be ready to go as soon as 2016.

Could really be a massive coup in the years to come.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
1. Daley 2. Fainga'a 3. Slipper 4. Simmons 5. Horwill 6. Thomson 7. Gill 8. Schatz
9. Genia 10. Cooper 11. F'Sautia 12. Tapuai 13. Kerevi 14. O'Connor 15. Hunt

I think daley is still definitely more likely to get a start and slipper shift to tighthead than for faagase to run-on. Although daley is one crappy scrummager, he does alot of work ands good around the field.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Very interesting two minute piece by channel 7 on Taniela Tupou

Richard Graham looks to be a genuinely very kind hearted man who really believes in the development of rugby. Good on him.

Also doesn't seem to be too much fat on the kid either, a lot of meat.

Angus Fraser

Frank Row (1)
Happy new year. Just wanted to actually write this down somewhere - the Reds supporters are pretty wonderful. With the team having a very ordinary year in 2014, seeing 60,000 members signing up was pretty special. Looking forward, we need to find something to sing in games.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing the Brisbane City props come through. I'm surprised everyone is discounting Quirk though - I thought he put in a good season last year, and he certainly seems to annoy the hell out of opposition without resorting to much dirty play. My real hope for this year is that Graham picks a centre combination early and sticks with it, as the messing around last year seemed to hurt the attack.

T

Tip

To be fair, Tapuai was very ordinary last year and FTA & Harris were injured for a good chunk as well. Throw in Quades surgery and we were without a full inside back roster for the whole season

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
James O'Connor has played his last game for Toulon and will be back in Brisbane for Preseason in the new year.

JOC (James O'Connor) played OK for Toulon but was not usually in their starting team for big games. He was in the matchday team in three of the four ERCC games to date but was on the bench for each.

He was a good impact player however. He will probably be in the starting team somewhere for the Reds but where will he start if not at fullback where KH is supposed to be the ordained run-on 15??

On the wing I suppose.

It would be better, probably, if he could be used closer in because he is good at playing with the ball in both hands and his body square, but it is not likely to happen.

The Reds have a terrific backline on paper for 2015. I wish them well except in a couple of derby games I can think of.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Reds have a terrific backline on paper for 2015. I wish them well except in a couple of derby games I can think of.

Those particular derby games could be instrumantal in determining the success or otherwise of both franchises in 2015. Will the Reds' new look, star-filled but somewhat untried backline sweep them to the dizzy heights of Super contender or will the familiar, dependable Tahs' backline prevail and set the Tahs on course for another title?

For my money, I think the Brumbies backline will outshine each of these.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
It really is shaping up to be a great Super Rugby season for the Aussie teams. Challenge, as always, lies with the form of the forwards. Reds pack are coming off some good international form and will hopefully be ready to rock after a break - Slipper, Saia F, Simmons in particular, Horwill improved, Schatz touring. I rate Gill as a very good 7, and Thompson is an outstanding player. THP the only noticeable problem with Holmes out. If they don't go forward though, it'll be a long year for the reds - the backs require that front foot ball to apply pressure. Brums on the other hand have some real power in their inside backs and will handle less momentum. Looking forward to the season with great interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Those particular derby games could be instrumantal in determining the success or otherwise of both franchises in 2015. Will the Reds' new look, star-filled but somewhat untried backline sweep them to the dizzy heights of Super contender or will the familiar, dependable Tahs' backline prevail and set the Tahs on course for another title?

We'll do our talking on the pitch.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Will the Reds' new look, star-filled but somewhat untried backline sweep them to the dizzy heights of Super contender or will the familiar, dependable Tahs' backline prevail and set the Tahs on course for another title?

Who can say?

I wish we could all brag about our tight five forwards in the same vein.

As we all know: the team with the best tight-five will usually appear to have the best backline also.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Who can say?

I wish we could all brag about our tight five forwards in the same vein.

As we all know: the team with the best tight-five will usually appear to have the best backline also.

Could that be the Rebels?

Seriously, should be a closely contested championship imo and the Reds will be there when the whips are cracking.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Reds
16. Hanson 17. Daley 18. Faagase 19. Mcduling 20. Browning 21. Robinson

Waratahs
16. Latu 17. Ryan 18. Tilse 19. Lousi 20. Gray

Rebels

16. Horie 17. Ah-Nau 18. Alo-Emile 19. Jeffries 20. Timani

Brumbies
16. Siliva 17. Makin 18. Smith 19. Enever/Arnold 20. Doyle

Force
16. Tessman 17. Hoskins 18. Heiberg 19. Mafi 20. Alcock

Im sure its just my reds goggles but i think we got a pretty damn balanced bench, even if we dont go for a 6-2 split and get rid of robinson or browning.

The tahs have a good bench but lousi appears to have good potential but is still a big unkown how he will go. And i think Tilse and Ryan are overrated.

The brumbies have a good bench other than there props, both Enever and Arnold will go well i think

The Rebels have great front and back row depth, but are lacking in the second row

The force have great backrow depth and options in the 2nd. I thinn Mafis perfect for the bench due to hos versatility in both roles buf i dunno about Hoskins and Hieberg

Status
Not open for further replies.