• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reds
16. Hanson 17. Daley 18. Faagase 19. Mcduling 20. Browning 21. Robinson

Waratahs
16. Latu 17. Ryan 18. Tilse 19. Lousi 20. Gray

Rebels

16. Horie 17. Ah-Nau 18. Alo-Emile 19. Jeffries 20. Timani

Brumbies
16. Siliva 17. Makin 18. Smith 19. Enever/Arnold 20. Doyle

Force
16. Tessman 17. Hoskins 18. Heiberg 19. Mafi 20. Alcock

Im sure its just my reds goggles but i think we got a pretty damn balanced bench, even if we dont go for a 6-2 split and get rid of robinson or browning.

The tahs have a good bench but lousi appears to have good potential but is still a big unkown how he will go. And i think Tilse and Ryan are overrated.

The brumbies have a good bench other than there props, both Enever and Arnold will go well i think

The Rebels have great front and back row depth, but are lacking in the second row

The force have great backrow depth and options in the 2nd. I thinn Mafis perfect for the bench due to hos versatility in both roles buf i dunno about Hoskins and Hieberg

I will agree that the Rebels have a very strong bench of front rowers, probably the strongest, but I think the Brumbies' reserve front rowers will be the two Smith twins who now have a fair bit of Super experience and imo are stronger than Daley and the inexperienced Faagase. Assuming the starting back row is Fardy, Pocock, Butler, I would think that any of Smiler, Aeulua or Vaea will be on the bench before Doyle. All of those three also have significant Super experience.

T

TOCC

I will agree that the Rebels have a very strong bench of front rowers, probably the strongest, but I think the Brumbies' reserve front rowers will be the two Smith twins who now have a fair bit of Super experience and imo are stronger than Daley and the inexperienced Faagase.

The same Smith twins that conceded a tight-head pushover scrum against the Reds ;), or the same inexperienced Faagase that forced a pushover try against a 2014 Wallaby in the NRC GF?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Smith twins, particularly Ruan (may have gotten him confused though), have improved I think, but they still need to show whether they can take that to Super Rugby.

And yeah, that Reds push over try was glorious, from memory it was most of the Reds starting front row vs the Brumbies reserve front row.

Bit worried over the hole Holmes and Owen have left, from form in the NRC I think that Faagase will get first shot. He seemed to be more consistent than Talakai.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The same Smith twins that conceded a tight-head pushover scrum against the Reds ;), or the same inexperienced Faagase that forced a pushover try against a 2014 Wallaby in the NRC GF?
If Faagase can scrummage on his own against the Spirit pack, we best elevate him to the Wallabies pronto

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I'll concede the push over try, and I think there might have been a try from a Reds' rolling maul in the same game, but comparing like to like, I think I'd have the Smith boys' scrumming ability over Daley's any day, and we'll have to wait and see how Faagase goes against a full Super scrum.

It's true that the Reds' scrum over the past couple of years has been stronger than most have given it credit, and I'm sure they (the Reds) will be amongst the teams contesting for finals spots at the end of this year's comp.

T

TOCC

If Faagase can scrummage on his own against the Spirit pack, we best elevate him to the Wallabies pronto

lol come on buddy, we are talking about selecting reserve props for super rugby.. If the NRC GF can't be used as a gauge of a props ability then what can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'll concede the push over try, and I think there might have been a try from a Reds' rolling maul in the same game, but comparing like to like, I think I'd have the Smith boys' scrumming ability over Daley's any day, and we'll have to wait and see how Faagase goes against a full Super scrum.

It's true that the Reds' scrum over the past couple of years has been stronger than most have given it credit, and I'm sure they (the Reds) will be amongst the teams contesting for finals spots at the end of this year's comp.

I'd agree certainly agree with you on Daley's scrummaging, though he isn't without experience so I wouldn't be writing him off just yet. It'll be really interesting to see how Faagase, Talakai and Paraka go this year. They were the form (non super rugby) props in the NRC and how they handle the step up in the scrum and around the ground will be a great indicator of where the NRC is at right now.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It'll be really interesting to see how Faagase, Talakai and Paraka go this year. They were the form (non super rugby) props in the NRC and how they handle the step up in the scrum and around the ground will be a great indicator of where the NRC is at right now.

How would you rate Kite against the likes of Faagase, Talakai and Paraka? Kite is with the Brumbies this year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Is he with the brumbies or just the vikings, still trying to crack the brumbies? Either way he was right up there with them but maybe a bit shorter on fitness and not quite as a good a scrummager. He is a monster though and still young so I won't be surprised if he does well.

T

TOCC

Scrum was strongest with Faagase and Paraka on, whilst most people were laying praise on Paraka for his 2 try effort i actually think Faagase deserves a lot of credit playing tight-head against a Wallaby loose-head prop, his technical skills around the other facets of the set-piece like rolling maul were also quite good as well.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
January sucks. There is no rugby news so we end up arguing over really pointless things like which team might have the best bench or the best props. There are soooo many factors in this issue that we really don't know anyone is going to go.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Lousi won't make the Waratahs' bench for a very long time. Chapman, Holoway and Dennis will be picked ahead of him for lock. Even Skelton will struggle to make the starting team. And Hoiles will be ahead of Gray.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Probably not the place for a conversation about a waratah but my assumptions are based on the fact he's never played union outside of the school yard and was not in the NRL but the division below. The situation has development player written all over it. Won't mind if I'm wrong.

T

TOCC

Given this is the Reds thread I think its a fair discussion to debate over who is going to be the reserve props for the Reds given they are likely to have a starting role at some point if Greg Holmes is still in team rehab.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nothing wrong with debating who will be the reserve props.

I just think its a bit pointless weighing up their merits against other teams. The Smith twins are seemingly condemned for one bad scrummaging performance and Faagase and Paraka on a pedestal for one excellent performance. Yet there are so many other factors that come into play (will they actually be fit an selected, who are the other 6 forwards they are scrummaging, who are they against, etc, etc, etc) with that arguing who is better seems pointless (to me). I am more bemoaning that we don't have something better to discuss or at least something where you have an upcoming game to test the argument out.

T

TOCC

Nothing wrong with debating who will be the reserve props.

I just think its a bit pointless weighing up their merits against other teams. The Smith twins are seemingly condemned for one bad scrummaging performance and Faagase and Paraka on a pedestal for one excellent performance. Yet there are so many other factors that come into play (will they actually be fit an selected, who are the other 6 forwards they are scrummaging, who are they against, etc, etc, etc) with that arguing who is better seems pointless (to me). I am more bemoaning that we don't have something better to discuss or at least something where you have an upcoming game to test the argument out.

Firstly you have dramatised a seemingly innocuous rebuttal by claiming players have been condemned or placed on pedestals..

Secondly, it is perfectly ok to compare players against player from other teams, especially since most of those players mentioned actually scrummaged against each other in the NRC and thirdly because players like Talaki have moved from NSW to QLD and the Smith brothers in addition to Kite moved from QLD to ACT so there has been further exposure at club level..

Obviously props aren't the only factor in a scrum, but one thing is for certain and that is you can have a shit scrum with good props but you can't have a good scrum with shit props.

This is a rugby forum forcefield, its sole purpose is to talk about the teams and player performances. I even made a video(posted above) so that the discussion isn't based purely on hypotheticals but some actual rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.