• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
it's that time of the year when I love double clicking on the highlights of NZ v France, Cardiff, RWC 2007.

Reds v Chiefs, Lang Park, 2012, is a good one too!

Thinking about the potential of the Reds in 2015 takes up a lot of time as well. Can't wait for the Crusaders at Ballymore.

Or France v All Blacks RWC Twickenham 1999- one of the best games of rugby I've ever been to.:)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good to see JOC (James O'Connor) back in Australian rugby. I sincerely hope for his sake and for the Wallabies that he fulfils his potential.

All good, he's learnt his lesson & this time he really, really means it:

"Just as a person as well, I've got some good momentum. There's no beating around the bush - I made mistakes. It took me about six months of being away before I came to an understanding and took a step back."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...last-warning-as-he-signs-with-queensland-reds

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
it's that time of the year when I love double clicking on the highlights of NZ v France, Cardiff, RWC 2007.

Reds v Chiefs, Lang Park, 2012, is a good one too!

Thinking about the potential of the Reds in 2015 takes up a lot of time as well. Can't wait for the Crusaders at Ballymore.

1. You, Sir, are a sadist.....

image.jpg

2. A heap of wifey's family went to that in full Chiefs kit. I dropped some of them off at Loganlea station in high spirits & picked them up shattered a few hours later.......

3. This being a trial, what chance the trains & buses will be free for ticket-holders? I understand that parking around Ballymore is a bitch so free PT would certainly help in terms of persuading the whanau to head in for it (trying to get wifey into it on the basis that Dan might be playing).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
JOC (James O'Connor) is saying all the right things (as he has done in the past).

Give him the benefit of the doubt. He will be on a very short leash.

I am so looking forward to his on field contributions to a very good backs line-up

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
JOC (James O'Connor) is saying all the right things (as he has done in the past).

Give him the benefit of the doubt. He will be on a very short leash.

I am so looking forward to his on field contributions to a very good backs line-up

Saw JOC (James O'Connor) on the Maori Television show "Code" back in 2013 (turns out he's part-Maori) & afterwards thought maybe he wasn't quite the giant douche I'd previously thought he was. I'm also somewhat encouraged by the way former fellow giant douches like Quade, SBW & even Cipriani by most accounts have woken up to the fact that it's not all about them & become decent human beings as well as gifted rugby players.

On the other hand the best predictor of future behaviour is previous behaviour & there are any number of guys who were giant douches at 20, remain so at 25 & will likely never change.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I can honestly put up with him being a giant douche if he plays to his potential and stays out of trouble with the law.

In that case, he can really just douche it up all he wants for all I care - I don't think the Reds leadership group would allow his potential douchieness to override the culture they've been building since '09.

Not sure if any of you caught the little bit with R. Graham at the end of the Reds Youtube channel clip about JOC (James O'Connor) but he said he's going to play him on the wing and that brings big smiles to my face and more or less confirms Hunt at 15.

For those who missed it:

Also loving the pair of videos they released featuring Quade and Sanchez covering some basic rugby skills for the Rookies2Reds crowd.

I think there's huge potential there for them to get a lot more eyeballs on the Youtube channel if they made a couple of those videos aimed towards the older end of Juniors/Colts players (more specific skills used at higher levels of play, anecdotes about how the play the game personally - I'd be fascinated to hear Quade explain how he visually reads a game from his own perspective, stuff like that).

I'm sure plenty of adult players and even fans would eat that content up.

It could also be used to grab the attention of non-traditional (ie: people like me) fans by leveraging the international profiles of players like Quade, Genia, Horwill, JOC (James O'Connor), etc to grab the attention of a much broader audience and engage them with the Reds brand. I'm sure there are a few Queenslanders that would still throw a hissy-fit at the idea of an international fanbase supporting "their" team (not to say that there's any of that type on here) but there's honestly just not a negative aspect to this kind of growth at all.

It's the same type of stuff that got me interested in Aussie Rugby, got me on G&GR in the first place and ultimately ended up with me visiting Brisbane during the Lions Tour. I really can't imagine not being a Reds fan for the rest of my life and that includes the merch I've purchased and ordered over the years - can't really say anything bad about more money in the bank when it comes to Rugby Union right now.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
More of that sort of skills stiff would be great, would love to see one with Slipper, Saia, Holmes and Stiles going through some scrummaging technique or getting Gill and Beau talking about break down work and pilfering.

As far as more international fans goes, I think most Queenslanders love the idea of the reds getting some love, feeds the ego nicely. ;)

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
More of that sort of skills stiff would be great, would love to see one with Slipper, Saia, Holmes and Stiles going through some scrummaging technique or getting Gill and Beau talking about break down work and pilfering.

As far as more international fans goes, I think most Queenslanders love the idea of the reds getting some love, feeds the ego nicely. ;)

I like the sound of a dark arts guide. Normally it is only the older front rowers around a club that clue the younger ones in usually by schooling them in very painfull ways.

Not having access to guys that can hand out these lessons I'm sure is an issue for a lot of young blokes.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Saw JOC (James O'Connor) on the Maori Television show "Code" back in 2013 (turns out he's part-Maori) & afterwards thought maybe he wasn't quite the giant douche I'd previously thought he was. I'm also somewhat encouraged by the way former fellow giant douches like Quade, SBW & even Cipriani by most accounts have woken up to the fact that it's not all about them & become decent human beings as well as gifted rugby players.

On the other hand the best predictor of future behaviour is previous behaviour & there are any number of guys who were giant douches at 20, remain so at 25 & will likely never change.

He can't change who he is, that's true, but he's a bit older and has experienced a bit more of the world now. You'd like to think that he at least knows now that there are things which are acceptable and things not acceptable and will be able to do the right thing. I hope it turns out well for him.

T

TOCC

the great thing about JOC (James O'Connor) joining the club is that it deflects some of the attention and expectation away from other signings like Karmichael Hunt and the Tongan Thor.. Adam Thomson doesn't need to deflect the attention, he will be a standout for the Reds regardless.

One thing is for certain, the QRU have no shortage of marketable players for the 2015 season..

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)

JOC (James O'Connor) talks a good game and he's certainly saying the right things at the moment.

Brian Smith, (former Wests Bulldog!) London Irish coach has said good things about him too.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
1. You, Sir, are a sadist...

View attachment 5737

2. A heap of wifey's family went to that in full Chiefs kit. I dropped some of them off at Loganlea station in high spirits & picked them up shattered a few hours later...

3. This being a trial, what chance the trains & buses will be free for ticket-holders? I understand that parking around Ballymore is a bitch so free PT would certainly help in terms of persuading the whanau to head in for it (trying to get wifey into it on the basis that Dan might be playing).

No wonder they were shattered! I've done that trip from Roma St or Central Station to Loganlea after a loss too many times.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
1. You, Sir, are a sadist...

View attachment 5737

2. A heap of wifey's family went to that in full Chiefs kit. I dropped some of them off at Loganlea station in high spirits & picked them up shattered a few hours later...

I thought the Sadists were from Canterbury? Boom-tish! I'll see myself out.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Or France v All Blacks RWC Twickenham 1999- one of the best games of rugby I've ever been to.:)

The highlights either with the New Zealand commentary or the French commentary are even better than the very good job done by Gordon Bray et al and also the UK version.

(I don't speak French but they sure were happy!)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Do you know the life story of Roger Federer? He was one of the most rebellious players in their teens. Breaking their rackets, he fought with their rivals, anyway. He was famous as a HUGE douche.

Over the years he learned from his mistakes and became one of the quietest players of the tennis world.

Reactions: BDA
Status
Not open for further replies.