• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Bringing knuckles in is sacking RG in all but name.

The key point there is the "thin on the ground" comment. Suggests they have looked for a capable, competent head coach replacement for the medium term, but there were none to be found.

I get your point, but then again, I'm not so sure.

In such a move the real risk is that the players (a) just get more confused as to what/whose instructions etc they should follow (Knuckles is no gentle wallflower) and (b) just become more cynical and disillusioned re their bosses being in-denial and handing them a mess of an 'amended' coaching structure under RG.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
“I can guarantee you we won’t change the coach this season,” McCall told The Australian yesterday

I reckon that means we have reached the "Coach has the full support of the Board" moment. Only a matter of time now.

I don't want to open old wounds and lead to a flame war about you know what, but in the not to distant past, the Club Wallaby environment was deemed to be toxic, and the Reds environment was (rightly for that time) seen to be one that facilitated high performance. Things seem to have flipped 180 degrees and I wonder how much the injury crisis, last seasons record and playing roster "adjustments", along with the KHunt saga has impacted on the changing room. Those sorts of things can polarise the playing group and lead to serious disharmony. Leading commentators Denuto, Kerrigan and Associates have stated that their reading of the vibe is that it does not seem to be a particularly happy place ATM.

It is to the credit of the elder statesmen and leaders within the Reds playing group that there hasn't been a Player Power mutiny.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
- QRU Chairman confirms no change to coach this season..says man-managers are thin on the ground
- John Connolly may be brought in to assist team as 'technical adviser'
- RG: 'we came within one point of turning our season around'
- QRU confirms approach to Brad Thorn for 2016 as player/coach support/mentor

Graham replied: “We’re always looking at ways we can improve. But on Friday we were one point away from getting our season back on track.”

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't one point have been a draw? Surely to turn around the season we would want 4 points for a win.

This type of slip up does nothing to instill my faith in RG knowing what is happening with his team.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't one point have been a draw? Surely to turn around the season we would want 4 points for a win.

This type of slip up does nothing to instill my faith in RG knowing what is happening with his team.

It's the comment of a coach in his death throes. The board having complete confidence in the coach usually follows this type of comment quite quickly.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The appearance is one of the QRU flailing around with the most critical requirement being to not ever, under any circumstances, admit to the fans and public that a massive blunder of major proportions was made re the hiring (and indeed sustained retention) of Graham.

Spot on I would say.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I get your point, but then again, I'm not so sure.

In such a move the real risk is that the players (a) just get more confused as to what/whose instructions etc they should follow (Knuckles is no gentle wallflower) and (b) just become more cynical and disillusioned re their bosses being in-denial and handing them a mess of an 'amended' coaching structure under RG.
I don't think so. Should Connolly be made head coach and RG an assistant behind closed doors with the former being labelled a technical advisor and the latter the head coach in the public domain, I doubt there would be little confusion with the playing group as to what was going on.
They would all be sat down and told what the deal is. I'm not being facetious but in these types of discussions it's easy to forget that the players are given a whole lot more info than us fans are.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Any coach appointed now (short term or otherwise) is unlikely to turn the series around now. But that isn't the important thing right now. Right now it is important to start unlearning the Richard Graham and Steve Meehan method of playing rugby and start learning some basic generic go to plays and methods - not in order to win heaps but to start playing some structured rugby and preparing the players for the world cup and for next season.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am sure anyone on this forum who has connections with Reds players know that life in the change rooms at Ballymore is not a good one. Players have gone to the board to voice their concerns from what I have been told yet they have been shot down and hard by the board. I can only think the board have their head shoved so deep in the sand that they won't listen to the players nor the fans and the lack of them coming to home games. There was no crowd figure for Saturday's game but I think it would have been around 10K if we were lucky. Does anyone know?​

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think it was reported on here as being reported by Wayne Smith at the Australian that the crowd was around 19k?
This figure was immediately lambasted by everyone on here that was at the game as being crap.

EDIT: Yep discussed in the match thread. 19k-ish apparently.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think it was reported on here as being reported by Wayne Smith at the Australian that the crowd was around 19k?
This figure was immediately lambasted by everyone on here that was at the game as being crap.

EDIT: Yep discussed in the match thread. 19k-ish apparently.

more then then the Brumbies game.. hmmm

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
@Tomikin, I don't recall them putting the crowd figure up at the brumbies game - and no one I went with can recall it either.

Are you sure you aren't confusing it with the number they flash up for the ticket draw prize thing? It's put up on the screen with about 10-15 minutes to go.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I am sure anyone on this forum who has connections with Reds players know that life in the change rooms at Ballymore is not a good one. Players have gone to the board to voice their concerns from what I have been told yet they have been shot down and hard by the board. I can only think the board have their head shoved so deep in the sand that they won't listen to the players nor the fans and the lack of them coming to home games. There was no crowd figure for Saturday's game but I think it would have been around 10K if we were lucky. Does anyone know?

It's a worry that the board have circled the wagons and are preparing for a long drawn out process.

Status
Not open for further replies.