• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
They should have cut KHunt and laid down a marker when the whole drug saga came up. Surely they would have been justified and would not have had to pay him out.
The Reds are really lost on and off the pitch ATM.
Sad.
While I agree with that, it's important to remember that they may have also been bound by contract conditions. Frequently, sporting contracts (not sure about Australian Rugby - but certainly others) have specific criteria and punishments set out for offences like "Bringing disrepute" or "Conduct unbecoming".

While I am not sure, I would not be surprised if Hunt's contract stipulates a maximum of 30k fine and 6 weeks suspension for a first breech. If that's the case, they obviously gave the maximum allowable penalty without tearing up the contract and paying him out.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
While I agree with that, it's important to remember that they may have also been bound by contract conditions. Frequently, sporting contracts (not sure about Australian Rugby - but certainly others) have specific criteria and punishments set out for offences like "Bringing disrepute" or "Conduct unbecoming".

While I am not sure, I would not be surprised if Hunt's contract stipulates a maximum of 30k fine and 6 weeks suspension for a first breech. If that's the case, they obviously gave the maximum allowable penalty without tearing up the contract and paying him out.
ARU illicit drugs policy is available online. It was followed in Hunts case, exactly as it should be.

Fine of 5% of annual renumeration and 2 months period of ineligibility.

Having said that, I believe the policy is currently being reviewed.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
RG has won just 6 games from 22 as HC (~27%).
In the 22 games under RG the Reds have won back to back games just once (Rounds 16 & 17 last year).

Reactions: gel

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
To be honest I do respect them for taking this position and seeing their commitments out, even if I think it's the wrong move.

I don't respect them at all. It's a business decision.

Richard has to be sacked. The only logical reason it hasn't happened already is that the Reds haven't found someone to fill in immediately.

T

TOCC

Richard has to be sacked. The only logical reason it hasn't happened already is that the Reds haven't found someone to fill in immediately.
I also agree this is the reason, do you expect them to say that though??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

Nope.

I have never commented on what they should be saying and has nothing at all to do with my post.

T

TOCC

Nope.

I have never commented on what they should be saying and has nothing at all to do with my post.

It's very easy to be critical as outsiders but I think as fans we can get swallowed up in what we perceive should happen and what are realistic expectations..

I think RG should be sacked, are there any available alternatives available right now? In a RWC year I don't expect so.. So what are the QRU to do? pull down the cone of silence and say nothing or pander to the media and tell them they are backing RG 100%.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

There are 4 steps to be followed in the official process to sack a coach, and even at step 4 (Announcing the Sacking) the Board simply announces that by mutual agreement Coach will no longer be coaching and that the Board wish him every success with his future endeavours.

By throwing their full support behind him, they have reached Step 3 of the process. The hunt for a replacement has just been expedited.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's very easy to be critical as outsiders but I think as fans we can get swallowed up in what we perceive should happen and what are realistic expectations..

I think RG should be sacked, are there any available alternatives available right now? In a RWC year I don't expect so.. So what are the QRU to do? pull down the cone of silence and say nothing or pander to the media and tell them they are backing RG 100%.

Just re-reading my post and there is a possibility of some ambiguity. To clarify my point:

I don’t have much respect for an organisation that fails in its appointment process – I think there are obvious question marks surrounding RG’s appointment and his record at the Force was a good indicator that he was not up to the level of being a head coach.
I don’t have any respect for an organisation that fails to correct itself when confronted with the mistake – I think the results (not just the win/loss ratio btw) of last season were clear and obvious that RG was not up to the level of being a head coach and they should have acted at the end of last season.
I don’t have much respect for an organisation that believes it has to honour commitments to one of its own staff whilst completely ignoring the commitments it has to rugby in this state and country (in a world cup year no less) – that needs no explanation.
I don’t have any respect for an organisation that believes in honouring its commitments to one of its own staff whilst completely ignoring the commitments it has to those who pay to fund their lifestyle – they are ignoring their fans.

A mistake has been made and there has been ample opportunity thus far to correct that mistake, and the organisation has not been up to the task of correcting that mistake – not a lot to respect in that.

Some obviously respect the reds for honouring their commitments to Richard Graham, and I am not going to say they are wrong for feeling that way.

I just don’t feel the same way and thus why I posted a contrary position, sorry.

*edit* I am making no comment about what the reds are saying to the press.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Carmichael asks us not to judge on five games but we're not. We're judging on a season and five games

I agree. But, re Carmichael's latest comment, some here may recall that only recently Rod McCall the QRU Chairman told Wayne Smith in an article that in fact RG would be assessed on the next 5 or so games (starting with the Lions match) as they'd be the ones where the many injured players would return.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
http://m.foxsports.com.au/rugby/sup...il-end-of-season/story-e6frf4qu-1227288446712

Richard Graham's here to stay allegedly. So it might be all the fans who piss off elsewhere then if they don't win on Friday

There are some quite extraordinary quotes from the Reds' CEO in that article.

There's this (my emphasis):

“No one is being moved on mid-season as some spoonful of sugar to appease the critics,” Carmichael said.

“That’s not what Queensland rugby is about.”

And this:

“Richard is in charge at a time of significant change at the Reds with new players, transitioning from our previous coach (Ewen McKenzie), a new style and pathways being enhanced,” Carmichael said.

“Twelve new players have already been on the field in seven rounds.

“We don’t accept mediocre results because our fans have an expectation of success around the Reds.

“But, the accountability is shared.

“There is also a lot of longer term work that Richard is doing that is not appreciated.”

To me, all this points to a state of institutionalised self-protective, non-mistake-admitting, self-delusion within the Reds establishment. The very legitimate interests of the Reds fans and fee-paying members seem nowhere to be relevant where once, in 2010-11, all we heard about from Link et al was how critical was the engagement with and enjoyment of the Reds fans and members and how vital it was to honour - in the manner of the Reds' style of play and success in w-l terms - these stakeholders' aspirations for the team. A very notable shift in language and priorities has taken place.

And it would appear that the QRU is preparing a new theory of hope to sell to Reds members at renewal time later this year: namely '.....we are going to substantially replenish the high-performance coaching and skills development support around the Reds coaching group, watch this space....'.

This type of approach mirrors 2014's use of leaks re potential star recruits as the basis of re-building fans' confidence after a terrible 2014 season. Then, the Reds establishment decided that coaching was not the issue at all, rather what required addressing were 'squad deficiencies and a required squad replenishment that had not been dealt with soon enough after our 2011 victory'.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I have heard from a pretty good source that a number of players are holding off signings / negotiations until the future of RG is decided. Thats a bit of a worry

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
If you dine off your successes you must acknowledge your failures.

Carmichael took us from the bottom to the top, but he has also taken us from the top to the bottom.

Some of the board have just been there for the downfall.

The crowd last weekend was reminiscent of around 2007, except with probably a sense of sadness knowing what is possible now. I imagine 90+% of those who turned up were members who had already sunk their money.

This weeks XV is arguably the best team on paper we have put out since 2001. Far superior to any side under Link (on paper). What happens if we lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.