• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
didn't the ARU come out and say that they would have allowed the reds 1 extra Marquee position to allow thompson to stay?

Yes, seems strange though. Surely they had a good idea what was going on. Why not approach the QRU and say 'we don't want you to suck next year, have another marquee spot?'

Has it been allowed before? Why would a club assume the ARU are so willing to easily break their own rules?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think its entirely reasonable for the ARU to wait to be asked. For mine it's a bit of a face saving initiative. Rather than a condescending "poor Reds babies, can't organise themselves, here, have a marquee precious." Rather than that, an opportunity to present it as innovative and a tactical move on the reds part saying, "based on the players forecast for recruitment we believe it is the right move to allow the Reds a 2nd Marquee for season 2016".

Or maybe it was an ARU conspiracy to get Thompson down to the Rebels.

Anyway we've been distracted. Ripping on Tui for being retained especially if its contrasted to Thompson is stupid because:

1. He's only competing with other Japanese players for an international spot, the potential pool of which is likely to be significantly reduced this season.
2. He's outside the regular 30+5 squad for pure player numbers.
3. He doesn't have wages go towards the salary cap.
4. He looked competent at Super Rugby level even if you don't account for his long injury layoff.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
It must be pretty close to two weeks since the clowns at the QRU announced they needed two weeks to call for applicants and search far and wide for candidates? Any news?

D

daz

And a modicum of hubris. To allow one to wank on about the quirky wonderfullness of Melbourne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One does not indulge in petty debate over city allegiance and living conditions. One finds such discourse demeaning, with a distasteful taint of lower class banter.

However, one does feel that Sydney is shit, and Melbourne is Utopia.

:p

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
went to tha Gala evening.

Pretty lame event.

One Award brought genuine laughter to the table. Peoples Choice - Ben Daley - diodn;t start a game this uear. - Spoke to someplayers who also thought it was a joke.

Douglas is a great signing for the team. Probably won't be too successful as a guest speaker at fubctions post his rugby career.

The Reds need to give some attention to coacjing sime of the lads in public speaking. Enough said.

Anyway RG is still fucking there ATM.......

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
One does not indulge in petty debate over city allegiance and living conditions. One finds such discourse demeaning, with a distasteful taint of lower class banter.

However, one does feel that Sydney is shit, and Melbourne is Utopia.

:p
I went to Melbourne once. It was full of hipsters.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: gel
D

daz

I went to Melbourne once. It was full of hipsters pasty young I.T geeks and uni lefties with patchy and fluffy hair on their faces, pretending to be bearded woodsmen while drinking hazlenut soy frappacino's, and dodging trams while updating pictures of themselves to the latest "hot" social media app.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Fixed that for ya, RT. Next time you are down we can go man-bag shopping.

;)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One Award brought genuine laughter to the table. Peoples Choice - Ben Daley - diodn;t start a game this uear. - Spoke to someplayers who also thought it was a joke.

I think that is awfully harsh.

I don't think how many games he started is relevant. It's how he engages with fans and connects across the sport is what would have got the award. His "Be Great, Do Good" campaign was nothing short of sensational and I am stoked it got the recognition he deserved. He wanted to show people, his fellow team mates as much as anyone, that rugby players can make a difference and originated at a time last season when the support of rugby players was at an all time low.

Good for Dales, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, for making a difference. The award was nice recognition but in no way why he did it.

D

daz

I don't think how many games he started is relevant. It's how he engages with fans and connects across the sport is what would have got the award.

Absolutely agree. Peoples Choice has little if nothing to do with playing the game; it is about exactly what Reg wrote above.

Laurie Weeks pretty much has a lock on this award in Melbourne and would win it even if he never played a game all year, due to his tireless engagement with the kids and promoting the game at family level.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I don't see anything wrong with Daley winning with lack of playing time. A top bloke. I think it probably speaks more to the total lack of interest of the public and the true state the Reds are in. Chibba and Gill are two popular players and were outstanding and Genia is always popular no matter what, but I imagine no one gave a hoot and Daleys great work off the field gave him some profile etc.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I'd suspect each and everyone of those charities that he helped raise funds for would have campaigned for him a little and provided a whole bunch of votes.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
all very amusing for me and other Reds blokes on our table......

You can put lpts of "spin" pn anything.

The "call centre" from the coast must have neen bisy.

Anyway Hopefully Dales gets on the park in 2016 and makes a difference.:)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
yeah, I'd suspect each and everyone of those charities that he helped raise funds for would have campaigned for him a little and provided a whole bunch of votes.

Hey Reg
does anyone know how much Dales raised frim the sale of his game day headgear?

I DO think it was a great idea

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just caught up on the last 1/2 dozen pages and a few points come to mind.

1. Why are we all surprised at the letting go of good solid players who want to stay? This has been going on since 2012 at least so really shouldn't be terribly shocked - Butler, Enever, Higgers, Lance.......

2. I have got to know Lachie Turner quite well over the last few years and I for one am sad to see him go. His first year sucked because of injury but this year he has had a good year. Considering our dirth of full back options I thought he might have been a keeper..... Unless one of the 3 outstanding recruits is an Israel......

3. I am so glad that Dales won the peoples choice. He is one of the good guys of the team and his "Be Great Do Good" campaign has been a thing of beauty this year. He also engages with the public very well and is just an all round nice guy.

4. Also Congrats to Liam Gill on winning the Stan Pilecki Medal. He has had an outstanding season and I find it down right........ strange...... that he has only been signed for 1 year. But I believe that this was not of the making of the Reds.

5. I understand why people are feeling that they can not and should not renew their membership.... even I am having a good long think. But..... My loyalties lie with the players, current and former, who have made this club a great club. I am not sure in all good conscience that I can withhold my support from the guys who step on that field every week and try their best for the people sitting in the stands. Yes I know a message needs to be sent to the administration but I am not sure what the best form is for said message.

Status
Not open for further replies.