• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Wayne Smith in The Australian reporting today that 'all indications' are that RG will retain his position when the HC decision is made 'in a week or two's time'.

If so, no one should be surprised. This likelihood has been foreshadowed in multiple ways over the last 4-6 weeks, if not before (even though 'the HPU review' reported accurately to the QRU board regarding the Reds players lack of support for and belief in RG).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Reg yes, but it's not the full story.

The Saffer conference will be easier. In NZ/Aus we have a higher exposure to the Kiwi teams and the depth across NZ should mean the overall Kiwi standard drops little even with the post RWC leavers.

We need to be top 5 for the finals. that includes all Kiwi teams and Brumbies and Waratahs. In just that group of 7, which 3 do you think we are a chance of displacing?

To me this seems a pipe dream. I'm struggling to pick many teams in NZ/Aus we are likely to finish ahead of. Let alone to finish top 5. And for a serious shot you need top 2.

Let's keep the realism going. 2016 looks a write off. Final playing contracts and HC selection could reduce the despondency. But it doesn't look good right now.

Totally agree dru.

I hope it's not escaped fellow posters attention that the Bled Wallaby squad announced yesterday has just 5/31 Reds players, 16%. 2 of these are departing for 2016, so our remaining % is down at 9.7. This maybe an all time low.

Compare this to the Brums representation of 10/31, 32%. This being a team with far, far less demographic and locational and player base advantages than possessed by the Reds/QRU.

The QRU is failing to develop competitive numbers of elite rugby players both in absolute terms and in relation to its comparative position in Australian rugby State-related dimensions.

This is all further and vividly reflected in the latest Reds squad announcement for 2016. A team light, to put it mildly, on proven excellence or even obvious potential excellence.

Even the very best Reds HC will take 2-3 years to have the capability to approach a S18 finals berth, let alone win the S18, a goal that apparently our QRU has now totally forsaken in the name of its own odd and inexplicable policies and practices that clearly have little to do with the harvesting and delivery of rugby excellence in this once-great rugby State.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wayne Smith in The Australian reporting today that 'all indications' are that RG will retain his position when the HC decision is made 'in a week or two's time'.

If so, no one should be surprised. This likelihood has been foreshadowed in multiple ways over the last 4-6 weeks, if not before (even though 'the HPU review' reported accurately to the QRU board regarding the Reds players lack of support for and belief in RG).

A lack of surprise is hardly a redeeming quality in this state of affairs. Still I suspect you're with me there.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm finding it very difficult to be upbeat or engaged by the team announcement, or be overly enthused by the newly released promo video "custodians of history" with the coaching apparently likely to remain the same.

A talented group of youngsters may auger well for the future in the hands of talented staff, but in the hands of the grossly unable?

I am sad.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
whats weird about Ben Mowen is as soon as he went to france, his Physicality and Ball running seemed to improve dramatically, it might be easier opposition, and it certainly is when compared to tests, but it was an improvement none the less.Still wouldnt be a good signing with so many young, talented backrowers who have more potential then Mowen ever did.

really sad to see Beau, Lachie and Quirky all not signed. obviously we couldnt keep them all, but Lachie and Beau were as passionate a reds player i have seen and they arent even Queenslanders. i have never had the pleasure of meeting Lachie unfortunately but i have talked to Beau a few times and he is such a humble easy-going bloke who im sure would have added a lot to the culture. And Quirk i dont think has had enough opportunities to shine and i sure would hate to see him at another province and him reaching his full potential. its hard to believe but the blokes only 23.

RedRocket

Bob McCowan (2)
Gill dominated the votes, with 420 in total, followed by Greg Holmes (184) and James Hanson (179).

Exactly the way I had it

RedRocket

Bob McCowan (2)
I was really looking forward to Quirk getting back into a jersey. Ah well, hope he does well wherever he goes and comes back an improved player. Ditto for Beau but gee that elbow seems dodgy.

Gunn is a gun *get it* at club level but I have concerns about him imposing himself at super level. Korzcyk looked good in his opportunities this year.

I hope McIntyre gets a good crack, depending on who is yet to be announced I suppose.

Is Tupou getting a run?!

Happy with the locks if they stay injury free.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The missus is talking about not renewing our membership. If she doesn't our best friends probably won't Renew theirs and I'd have to think long and hard about my media accreditation.

This is the sad part about it. It is at the point where if anyone does renew and continue financial support, they are enablers to the dismal situation which is fucking the progress the Reds had made. It is now at the point where things have to get worse before any hope of them getting better or it will validate the actions of those at the top of the Reds.

I think rugby/sport and your team is something that has to be followed with heart and soul and the travesty and true reality is that bloody good supporters are being forced to think about that support with their heads and act with their feet. It is one of them cruel to be kind situations because continued financial support will be death by a thousand cuts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The only way RG would be a "better" candidate (gravitas aside) than all others who have replied to the world wide search would be if Surgeon Kirwin and the bloke that "coached" one of my young'uns in the under 16's in 2005 were the only candidates that applied for the gig.

There is nothing better than seeing the Banjolanders getting flogged but seriously, for the benefit of Australian rugby, RG must be put out to pasture and not allowed to have any further influence. Australian Rugby is not resilient enough to survive with RG strangling one of its two nurseries.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
In a crap season we still had some players putting in quality performances week in, week out. Hanson, Thomson and Turner would probably be in the top 5 I reckon. Gill, Kerevi & Holmes being other notables.
I get Hanson but still wish we could've kept him but Turner and Thomson wanted to stay and we showed them the door.
I just don't understand that thinking.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
i have never had the pleasure of meeting Lachie unfortunately but i have talked to Beau a few times and he is such a humble easy-going bloke who im sure would have added a lot to the culture. And Quirk i dont think has had enough opportunities to shine and i sure would hate to see him at another province and him reaching his full potential. its hard to believe but the blokes only 23.

I have had the pleasure of talking to Lachie on several occasions and he is a really nice guy, great with juniors, same with Quirk. Disappointed that neither of them are being kept on, I thought Quirk provided the mongrel that we were lacking in the forwards and Lachie has been a very consistently strong performer for the Reds, despite the dismal performances around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.