• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
If I were Gill I wouldn't even need to wait for the thinking music. I think his time in the shorter version of the game could do wonders for his XV's game though so when he comes back (I'd be gutted if he didn't) the Reds could really reap the rewards. The opportunity for a guy like Gunn would only serve us well also.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Gill is going to play 7s next year, I wonder whether he'll be drafted in earlier?

Unless something miraculous happens in the last two rounds of the world series, we'll be needing to win the Oceania tournament in November 2015 otherwise we're down to the last chance repechage tournament early next year.

Realistically we're going to want to have our best possible team on the park for the Oceania tournament as that will be our best chance to qualify.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If Gill is going to play 7s next year, I wonder whether he'll be drafted in earlier?

Unless something miraculous happens in the last two rounds of the world series, we'll be needing to win the Oceania tournament in November 2015 otherwise we're down to the last chance repechage tournament early next year.

Realistically we're going to want to have our best possible team on the park for the Oceania tournament as that will be our best chance to qualify.

Reds wouldn't allow it until we got Michael Gunn back at least I'd suggest. Beau being buggered and all that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Reds wouldn't allow it until we got Michael Gunn back at least I'd suggest. Beau being buggered and all that.

I certainly didn't mean before the end of this season.

Assuming he isn't needed for Wallaby squad, he could join the 7s team in July and have months with them before the Oceania tourament.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can we get him back for the NRC?

Nah, seriously, we QLDers are a generous lot. I'd be supportive of the above.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can we get him back for the NRC?

Nah, seriously, we QLDers are a generous lot. I'd be supportive of the above.

The Olympic 7s will be much more exciting if Australia is participating. It will be kind of embarrassing if we're not!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Geriant would want Gill. When he was 18 playing 7s he was very good, he probably weighed 95kgs and had speed and mobility but now he's 105kgs and is too slow for 7s. Thought he was poor at the CW games.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I'd support him, just don't want it to happen. He is having a very good year after a quieter season last year. After at least 12 months out of the 15 man game it will take time to find this form again. Potentially putting Wallabies ambitions on hold for some time. He may be 3rd picked 7 in many eyes at the moment but ask Pocock how long 2 years is in rugby terms. The landscape could be very different. I think any benefit derived as far as his game is concerned will be negated by the catch up he plays on his return.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Geriant would want Gill. When he was 18 playing 7s he was very good, he probably weighed 95kgs and had speed and mobility but now he's 105kgs and is too slow for 7s. Thought he was poor at the CW games.

I reckon he's competing with guys like Sam Myers and Jesse Parahi. He's a few kg heavier right now but if he played 7s for next year he'd probably trim down a bit.

They're two of our best forwards. Surely Gill is going to be better than them and much better than Tom Cusack and Nick Malouf.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
With enough lead in time he will trim down a touch and they will work on building things like leg speed again.

B

Bobby Sands

Pardon..

Do you not remember the cleanout he did on our try-line against Wales, which caused a turnover and a 100m try to beat Wales??

He was outstanding. Would walk into our perfect 7's side if Geraint could choose anyone he wanted.

"With the full-time siren blown, fine work at the breakdown saw Liam Gill somehow reclaim possession and Australia broke 100m to create one last assault on the Welsh try-line. A succession of penalties eventually told with Pama Fou crossing to break Welsh hearts. Cameron Clark duly converted to seal a memorable 21-19 win."

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...ns-team-rally-to-claim-bronze-in-Glasgow.aspx

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You guys must not watch our 7s team, of course he's great at the breakdown but we don't need that. We need speed, it's where NZ always kill us. Gill is too big for 7s now.

T

TOCC

I don't think he is too big... He could easily get a bit leaner if he opted to play a whole season of 7's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Couldn't agree more, Reg!

Gill's physicality this year has been outstanding.

For me he has been the Reds best forward.

Reactions: gel

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Australia play a physical game. They would love Gill. Sure they need speed but trying to find it in their forwards is not the best option. They need more of it in then backs.

Which needs to change if we're going to do better.. We need something between O'Connor and Geriant's styles.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
You guys must not watch our 7s team, of course he's great at the breakdown but we don't need that. We need speed, it's where NZ always kill us. Gill is too big for 7s now.

DJ Forbes is no speed merchant, just like any side you need balance. You need your DJ Forbes up front and your Carlin Isles on the wings!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Saw this Open Letter on twitter from Sharks CEO John Smit. I see them in a similar situation as to what we're in except their coach is in his first year. I don't know Gary Gold and haven't looked up his coaching credentials, but thought it was a good idea...Anyone got a pic of RG and one of his kids?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Tahs're probably in the market for a big winger next year, I imagine Nadolo'd love to come home to the Tahs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.