• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRocket

Bob McCowan (2)
Marco can be updated to the 'goooone' section of the 2016 list.

Hurry up and tell us the remaining spots already!

Also, will be interesting to see the progression of quality in the NRC this year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Hook's got a year or two left on his Gloucester contract I believe.

Not impossible to get a release from, but he and Laidlaw had a good partnership going in the last half of the 2014/15 season, and they'd be reluctant to give that up.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Reds fans have about 36 hours to wait until they find out that RG has been returned, like the unwanted present passed around the extended family of Australian Rugby.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
You should get Berrick Barnes back.

Then two years after he leaves, you'll win another title.

What could possibly go wrong?

The Reds have already approached Barnes. Infact, he was approached last season after Quade suffered the 8 week injury during pre season for a short stint. He declined the offer with his focus to stay in Japan for as long as possible.
He was recently named Best & Fairest, awarded the highest point scorer as well as winning the competition for his club side Panasonic.
His body has adapted to the Japanese game and has all but ruled out a return to Super Rugby with the Crusaders also persuing him for next season before settling for Ben Volavola.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Reds fans have about 36 hours to wait until they find out that RG has been returned, like the unwanted present passed around the extended family of Australian Rugby.

I prefer to think of it as a wedding when you really need a new tv and then you receive your 14th unwanted toaster.

But in this case Richard Graham isn't a toaster, he's the crazy racist uncle everyone is hoping will drink enough to pass out so we can drag him out the back and forget about him.....

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
They are all just scared of retribution by fanatical reds fans.
(Board meeting)
"You announce it". "No, you can announce it". "I'm not announcing that, you can do it."
"I have an idea, let's just not announce anything. The fans will figure it out when the Super season starts next year and RG is there at the helm."

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
One thing is clear: Jim Carmichael will absolutely understand that when and if RG is announced as 2016 HC 'extremely careful media management and messaging to fans' will be needed.

An 'interesting challenge' for Ballymore.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
One thing is clear: Jim Carmichael will absolutely understand that when and if RG is announced as 2016 HC 'extremely careful media management and messaging to fans' will be needed.

An 'interesting challenge' for Ballymore.
When and if they announce RG no amount of careful media will be able to polish it.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
When and if they announce RG no amount of careful media will be able to polish it.

As you may recall, I drafted the media release for RG's 2016 appointment some months ago. I don't know if the QRU has adopted it as yet, they have not PM'd me. Perhaps it contained typos.

Though I suspect from the self-justifying speech that RG made at the Reds' Gala Ball, the following themes will need updating for the likely HC announcement that I know we are all anxiously awaiting:

- 2015's season was 'blighted by an unprecedented number of pre-season and start-of-season injuries' meaning it was 'impossible to get team momentum after that, we just couldn't recover in time'. 'The high level of season-long injuries made it very hard for the coaches to field a consistent team with established combinations and consequently the carefully worked game plans the coaches hoped to execute in 2015 proved elusive.'
- RG 'has been proven as an exceptional developer of young Reds players as he's demonstrated in 2015 and prior, and this skill is considered highly relevant by the QRU for 2016 given the large number of new, young players coming into the 2016 Reds squad'.
- 'The QRU's calls for Expressions of Interest for the open HC position unfortunately did not yield candidates of a calibre that, in the opinion of the QRU, sufficiently exceeded the levels of experience and dedication to QLD rugby as have been displayed by Richard Graham over his two full coaching seasons with the Reds. This conclusion was also affirmed when the QRU has considered the multiple benefits, including enhanced support to Richard Graham, that will arise from the new support coaching positions already announced for 2016.'

Status
Not open for further replies.