• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Based on my observation
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12 Who Knows
13. Kerevi
14. Kuridrani OR CFS
15. Hunt
Looks better than

11. CFS
12. Kerevi
13. Hunt
14. Kuridrani
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

JOC (James O'Connor)'s best position is wing, Hunts seems to be 15, Kerevi is probably still 13 (I think) and CFS loves right wing specifically apparently. I'd rather we hadn't let taps (or Harris) go but that's the situation. I'd be liking to sign a 10/12 (though maybe Duncan P will turn out good enough)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I can't agree hammer time. Hunt really looks at home at 13 and Kerevi at 12 compliments him nicely.
A backline with 'who knows' at 12 isn't preferential to your second option.

Edit: I agree that JOC (James O'Connor) is better on the wing but he's still a better 15 than Hunt and Kuridrani and CFS are excellent wing options.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Based on my observation
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12 Who Knows
13. Kerevi
14. Kuridrani OR CFS
15. Hunt
Looks better than

11. CFS
12. Kerevi
13. Hunt
14. Kuridrani
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

JOC (James O'Connor)'s best position is wing, Hunts seems to be 15, Kerevi is probably still 13 (I think) and CFS loves right wing specifically apparently. I'd rather we hadn't let taps (or Harris) go but that's the situation. I'd be liking to sign a 10/12 (though maybe Duncan P will turn out good enough)

I tend to argee with you know it is written down. Wish we could see more of Duncan P this NRC.

And don't forget old man Fainnga'a.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesesting article here.

Hunt wants the Reds 15 jersey. A couple of interesting quotes:

“I played there a bit through the Super Rugby season this year but the way they had me playing didn’t suit me. It was a very fixed position for me during the Super season, I was told to be hanging out wide whereas, I’d prefer to get involved and get plenty of touches and try and create something,” he said

Backs coach Rob Seib has given Hunt a license to roam against the Eagles, with the former Bronco telling Rugby News that he styles his play on that of a rugby league fullback and would like to continue to do so for the Reds next year.
“If I can roam and freely move around the field to try and create, then fullback is definitely the position I want to play,” he said

That style is fairly second nature for me after my time at the Broncos and that’s the way I’ve been told to play in the NRC. Speaking to Daniel Herbert (Reds GM) and Seiby (Rod Seib, Brisbane City backs coach), that’s the way they think a fullback should play.”

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If they just want him to hang out wide,they have thrown their money away.
There are plenty of better finishers than KHunt.
I can't see how playing to his strengths weakens the team.
If it does,then their systems/recruitment are contradictory.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I want to see a fullback roam around the field and look for opportunities, it certainly suits his game rather than having to hang out wide - that's more suited to an out and out speedster I would have thought. He's been going well in the NRC and it shows the value of the comp, to give players coming back from injury more experience, or players like KH the chance to develop their style (and shows the mistake they made last NRC in not having him playing where he could have developed).

There's a good article about the Brumbies using the Vikings in the NRC to 'renovate' some of their fringe/new players who they are developing in different positions to what they are used to at this link here

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wow. Now this is news. QLD Country side named with Mack Mason on the bench.

Former Anglican Church Grammar School flyhalf Mack Mason, originally from Mitchell in Queensland’s Western Downs region, has also been named on the bench for his potential NRC and Country debut. Mason has returned to Brisbane and has been training with the Country side for the past few weeks, after representing the Melbourne Storm in the NRL Under-20s competition throughout 2015, playing 22-games for the side.

Mason was the 10 of that unbelieavable Churchie side last year and whilst Kalyn Ponga got most the media focus, Mason was bloody superb. I thought he was a massive loss when he went to the Storm. But it seems he may be back? Brilliant.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Wow. Now this is news. QLD Country side named with Mack Mason on the bench.

Mason was the 10 of that unbelieavable Churchie side last year and whilst Kalyn Ponga got most the media focus, Mason was bloody superb. I thought he was a massive loss when he went to the Storm. But it seems he may be back? Brilliant.

Yes RR, I was just about to post the same!

Through my Churchie network I had heard he was likely headed back to BNE and Union, but wanted some hard data to confirm same, and this seems to be it.

I have even heard Nudgee GPS coaches say that the 2014 Churchie side was 'the best QLD GPS schoolboy side they'd ever seen'. Mason was the spinal cord of that team and, just as you say, more important than Ponga in a total team sense.

His place kicking was excellent as well. I am perhaps a tad biassed, but I do think objectively I have never seen a better GPS 10 over many years of following GPS rugby. He had some skills that Greene did not, though Greene was peerless in his kicking from hand.

It would be just great to see one of our best-ever GPS players returning to Union. (Noting as an aside that of course the QLD Country HC held that position for the Churchie 2014 Ist XV, he got wonderful playing standards from that GPS team and I feel sure btw he had something to do with I Perese staying in Union.)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's very exciting. I haven't seen as much GPS Rugby as you of late, but from what I have seen I'd agree with your assertion as to his standing.

getting and keeping Mason and Perese in the game may be the most valuable outcome of Gilmore's employment by the QRU.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
wow. did you read the article? What's the selfish attitude you speak of?

Yeah, with the likely centre option at the Reds, a 2nd play maker at 15 (or 13) will be very helpful

Hunt looks like a great option to fill that role

On the game plan from this year for him? meh

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
mack mason back amongst it - keen to see him, perese, tongan thor, roddha etc get some QLD un20 game time next year under Gilmore and Thorn. make me excited in the long term, Masons got the goods and could easily end up playing Aus un/20...add in Mcintyre and D.P who were aus un20 ball players and Greene. Great playmaking future there even if 1 or 2 don't cut the mustard

Anyone know what happened to Churchie NO.8, aussie school boy captain and reds elite development squad member Harley Fox?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
It's very exciting. I haven't seen as much GPS Rugby as you of late, but from what I have seen I'd agree with your assertion as to his standing.

getting and keeping Mason and Perese in the game may be the most valuable outcome of Gilmore's employment by the QRU.

Is Mason coming 'back' to rugby just as a stop gap while he finds a league contract or does he see himself more suited to rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.