• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the point being that 60 cap 7 year thing was just arbitary bullshit to get those guys eligible. Chieka just wanted them.

Surely we want as many people available for Australia as possible? If James Dalgliesh has the option of getting professional rugby experience in Super Rugby over staying and playing club footy here, and he doesn't threaten his hopes of playing for Australia, then surely that's a good thing?

May mean we lose less of the Tala Grays, Alex Northams, Scott Johnsons of the world which can only be good for our depth.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
However would you be OK with Folau, Pocock, Hooper, Kuridrani, Moore etc all playing for non-Australian super franchises? If the money was better and they were still eligible for Aust, this is a very possible outcome. We are already struggling to fill 5 teams. It gets harder if our best players are playing for the Crusaders, Stormers or the Tokyo team.

T

TOCC

I agree with Reg, given the eligibility criteria has already been eroded by the recent changes it would seem a given that the next step to be to make all Australian heritage Super Rugby players eligible for the Wallabies.

Guys like Dave McDuling in South Africa and Ed Quirk in Japan might not be screaming for Wallabies selection, but in a few years if Japan sign a few marquee players from Australia we might have a different opinion.

I would much rather a Japan based Super Rugby player be selected for the Wallabies over a France based player. At least Japanese based Super Rugby players are still playing in and against Australian teams.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
E&E, valid point although I don't think NZ nor SAF have the money to entice those stars away. But if meant they went to the Blues rather than TOulon, then yeah, I'm ok with that.

Unless Quirk is also signing on to play for a Japanese club (as McDuling has in SAF), then he should be available for selection - be it Wallaby or Oz 7s.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Another aspect of overseas eligibility is that it will lead more to go overseas, which will open more professional spots here which means more people sticking with rugby

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
E&E, valid point although I don't think NZ nor SAF have the money to entice those stars away. But if meant they went to the Blues rather than TOulon, then yeah, I'm ok with that.

Unless Quirk is also signing on to play for a Japanese club (as McDuling has in SAF), then he should be available for selection - be it Wallaby or Oz 7s.

Would you feel the same way if Slipper, Gill, Kerevi and Quade said we were all off to Tokyo for lucrative contracts and to get away from the most talked about individual on this forum?

IMO, changing the Wallaby restrictions is very risky and could be detrimental to the long term health of our super rugby teams. I wouldn't have created the "Giteau" rule either.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Remember we also have 20 nrl teams of professional football players and similar of afl. If there is a bigger carrot to dangle we may attract schoolboys than we currently do due to limited opportunity. I'm not saying I agree with opening up the eligibility but there are some pluses to it.

Sully - re Sth Africa you can't say they are shit due to no names. Some of the side still had more than enough "stars". Also look at what the lions did with none.
Yes it would suck if gill left... But it does mean a Gunn or someone else gets a crack sooner who might have buggered off from waiting (quitting or going o/s).

T

TOCC

Would you feel the same way if Slipper, Gill, Kerevi and Quade said we were all off to Tokyo for lucrative contracts and to get away from the most talked about individual on this forum?

Lets examine this from another angle..
Would you rather Genia, Horwill, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Quade and Kepu all head to play in France or head to Japan to play for the Japanese Super Rugby team?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Lets examine this from another angle..
Would you rather Genia, Horwill, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Quade and Kepu all head to play in France or head to Japan to play for the Japanese Super Rugby team?

Sure it is a good point but I don't like either if they do it and they don't have to sacrifice Wallaby selection. Anyway I probably got away from my original point which is to say that if you change the rules, don't just think it will be the next best players who will go.

T

TOCC

There is no difference.

That's debatable.

A Japan Super Rugby team would see those players occasionally playing against Australian teams and in Australia, or at least in a friendly time zone. Europe sees them fly to the other side of the world and into rugby wilderness for Aussie fans.

From a marketing and broadcaster stand point it would be a big bonus, and from a rugby fan perspective it's a boost to the fans who like watching those players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Exactly. It keeps the revenue in the competition. Keeps sponsors interested. Fans still coming to games.

I've got a huge issue with picking overseas players for the wallabies because they are sight unseen.

These guys world still be in Oz every third week or so. Directly playing against their competition.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
It adds to the overall numbers in viewership for the comp, which comes back in revenue down the track in future rights deals. The Japanese team will play in a friendly time slot as well so I see no issue.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

As long as they are playing in the super comp, I see no problem having the foreign teams helping to develop aus players

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
To me of you play Super Rugby you should be eligible for the Wallabies.

Many on this forum thought that George Smith was a better option than a local player coming into the Word Cup but we had no real way of knowing if this was the case.

If we had a young player overseas who outplayed Pocock, Gill an Hooper on a regular basis then surely they are deserving of playing for their country.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Reds 2016 Draw

R1. Tahs Away
R2. Force Home
R3. Rebels Away
R4. Blues Home
R5. Tahs Home
R6. BYE
R7. Highlanders Home
R8. Bulls Away
R9. Stormers Away
R10. Cheetahs Home
R11. Crusaders Away
R12. Hurricanes Away
R13. Japan Home
R14. BYE
R15. Brumbies Away
R16. Chiefs Home
R17. Rebels Home

8 home games and 7 away.

Play Tahs and Rebels twice. Remaining AUS sides once
Play all NZ sides once
Play 3 RSA teams once (Bulls, Stormers & Cheetahs)
Play Japan once
Don't play Argentina (or Lions, Kings & Sharks).

Confused? I am! Whatever! It is what it is! Some teams will have advantages, others will be pushing shit up hill.

The different time zones mean that in round 1 for example there will be six games back to back to back!

3:15pm Japan v Lions (Tokyo)
5:35pm Crusaders v Chiefs (ChCh)
7:40pm Tahs v Reds (Sydney)
9:50pm Force v Rebels (Perthfontein)
12:00am Kings v Sharks (Port Elizabeth)
2:05am Stormers v Bulls (Cape Town)

Glorious!

*Times in AEST

Full draw here.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
One thing you can say about rugby. We do "complex" very well.

Personally I'd rather the games spread from Friday to Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.