• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Exactly. It keeps the revenue in the competition. Keeps sponsors interested. Fans still coming to games.

I've got a huge issue with picking overseas players for the wallabies because they are sight unseen.

These guys world still be in Oz every third week or so. Directly playing against their competition.

You only need to look at the 2016 draw, had Quade or Genia signed with Japan then it would have added more spice to the Reds Round 13 home fixture against Japan. Pulling in a bigger crowd and generating bigger headlines.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty frustrating that we have:

Round 5 - Home v the Tahs
Round 6 - Bye
Round 7 - Home to Highlanders
Round 8 - Away to Bulls
Round 9 - Away to Stomers

That bye would have come in handy after the Highlanders, before the trip to Pretoria!

T

TOCC

Pretty frustrating that we have:

Round 5 - Home v the Tahs
Round 6 - Bye
Round 7 - Home to Highlanders
Round 8 - Away to Bulls
Round 9 - Away to Stomers

That bye would have come in handy after the Highlanders, before the trip to Pretoria!

I think overall the Reds have a fairly fair draw, not real contentious issues.

Melbourne Rebels Rd 1 - Rd 4:
Perth -> Pretoria -> Melbourne -> Tokyo

Argentina team Rd 7 - Rd 10:
Auckland -> Wellington -> Christchurch -> Tokyo

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Reds 2016 Draw

3:15pm Japan v Lions (Tokyo)
5:35pm Crusaders v Chiefs (ChCh)
7:40pm Tahs v Reds (Sydney)
9:50pm Force v Rebels (Perthfontein)
12:00am Kings v Sharks (Port Elizabeth)
2:05am Stormers v Bulls (Cape Town)

Glorious!

*Times in AEST

Full draw here.

Looks like I will put in at work for that day off.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Would the Reds have requested the Tahs twice or is it a lucky/unlucky draw?

I wonder if it is more important for the Reds as a whole to play the Tahs twice and get the revenue and ratings from this game but possibly have a harder game than if we had other sides twice?

I am disappointed we don't play the brumbies twice

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
You only need to look at the 2016 draw, had Quade or Genia signed with Japan then it would have added more spice to the Reds Round 13 home fixture against Japan. Pulling in a bigger crowd and generating bigger headlines.

You're assuming that these players would want to move to Japan and travel more than they're currently doing. Sure you can make the argument about they'd follow the money, but I'd be willing to bet those guys like Horwill, Quade and Genia who have been making decent coin for the past 4-5 years would prefer to live in Europe than Japan.

Don't forget, there's an element of wanting to do something new rather than play in the same competition they've taken part of since 2006/07.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That home Tahs match, in the arvo, is Easter Sunday.

Not sure if will draw the crowds they'd hope.

A Sunday arvo Tahs game is a great idea. But I'd suggest a lot of people will be away that weekend.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I hadn't realised that Reg. As one of the sane folk that avoid going away over Easter like the plague, I should be right to go. So that's at least 2 adults and 2 children that should be there. Only 29,996 people to go and we've got a good Festival of Hate crowd!

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
So do you think we can get the fans to dress up as bunny rabbits, with Energizer batteries up their orifices to create a massively enthusiastic cheer squad for the Reds.
(We gotta do something to get the players out of their rut).

born-red

Chris McKivat (8)
So our apparent big, block busting, ball running no.8 import Tui (who's not that big at all!) is FOR SURE, now the 2nd choice no.8 for Japan....he's got NOTHING on that young Mafi beast.

Reckon it's too late to swap/?. That kids got some real mass and explosiveness

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
So our apparent big, block busting, ball running no.8 import Tui (who's not that big at all!) is FOR SURE, now the 2nd choice no.8 for Japan..he's got NOTHING on that young Mafi beast.

Reckon it's too late to swap/?. That kids got some real mass and explosiveness

What you say regarding the Japan national team is true. However, Tui was startlingly good in his limited minutes for us this season.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
What you say regarding the Japan national team is true. However, Tui was startlingly good in his limited minutes for us this season.

We could definitely do with Mafi.
I mentioned previously, we can still add another Japanese player to our squad free of charge. He is easily the most damaging forward runner in the Japanese squad and has great game knowledge. He would be a great acquisition to the squad in 2016.
However, it is lead to believe the Reds are planning a bid to snare Ita Vaea after next season. He has family in QLD and his partner still lives in Brisbane.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I would love for us to get Mafi but for the good of the sport I hope he plays for the japan super team. If not then we should try to get him

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
He has expressed he will not feature with the Japanese team and is currently being chased by the Chiefs, Highlanders and Waratahs. I would dare say that Eddie Jones will have some say as to whether he will take him to the Stormers to partner Vermuelan.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If those Japanese players that are in Super Rugby or have already played here, moved to their team, eg Tanaka, Leitch, Tui, Tatekawa, Horie, and Sau...throw in some of the western born players (like Wing & Mafi) who are not lifelong employees of their companies, then that team would be epic.

A move for Vaea would be epic. Big dominating 8's are, with THP, our rarest commodity.

Losing Palu, Higs, Gray and Aloemile joining Houston and Maafu offshore, getting some good coaching into guys like Vaea, Timani & Ala'alatoa will go a long way.

Reds are in ok shape signing Fakasolia and that Huge Tui kid from the un/20 squad, additionally Talakai is solid in the scrum.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He has expressed he will not feature with the Japanese team and is currently being chased by the Chiefs, Highlanders and Waratahs. I would dare say that Eddie Jones will have some say as to whether he will take him to the Stormers to partner Vermuelan.

Vermulean going to Toulon.

Would be epic at the Tahs, which is scary for us but good for them!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If those Japanese players that are in Super Rugby or have already played here, moved to their team, eg Tanaka, Leitch, Tui, Tatekawa, Horie, and Sau.throw in some of the western born players (like Wing & Mafi) who are not lifelong employees of their companies, then that team would be epic.

A move for Vaea would be epic. Big dominating 8's are, with THP, our rarest commodity.

Losing Palu, Higs, Gray and Aloemile joining Houston and Maafu offshore, getting some good coaching into guys like Vaea, Timani & Ala'alatoa will go a long way.

Reds are in ok shape signing Fakasolia and that Huge Tui kid from the un/20 squad, additionally Talakai is solid in the scrum.
Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be worth our while to get Leroy back older, wiser & better in a couple years. Kind of like how Radike came back at an age when many others were retired.

This is a great little story on Leroy's rugby journey.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_...-self-doubt-hogwarts-harry-potter-goose-bumps

Status
Not open for further replies.