• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
After the last couple of year I thought the Reds thread was the Cloud Cukoo thread. It's the only reason I can explain why I think the Red will improve this year and finish mid table with Graham still the coach, I must be mad.

T

TOCC

From Premier Grade thread:

I honestly believe that Tupou is still a year or two of experience off being up to Super Rugby at scrum time - his ability with the ball and in defence were there to be seen at NRC & QPR level but he is still very young.

I think the Reds have put a lot into Sef, Talakai & Paraka so these guys will get their chances ahead of Tupou. The Thor's time will come.

Yes I agree with all these comments, and there is no rush with Holmes still around for 1 more season. As it stands, I think this is the current standings of Reds props:

THP
1. Holmes
2. Talakai
3. Tupou

LHP
1. Slipper
2. Daley
3. Fa'agase
4 Paraka

Despite all the chat been about THP, LHP is probably the position up most for debate. Daley is ranked 2nd IMO, but that is more due to experience then his ability as it currently stands, with Slipper out injured i think Fa'agase and Paraka are a bit too inexperienced to be starting Super Rugby props from Rd1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All this Cloud Cuckoo Land talk may upset some of our older readers from Brisbane and evoke memories of the demolition of the Cloudland Ballroom, which was sanctioned by a bunch of cuckoos.

A rather sad day in the somewhat colourful history of Queensland as it was "back in the day" under Joe.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
All this Cloud Cuckoo Land talk may upset some of our older readers from Brisbane and evoke memories of the demolition of the Cloudland Ballroom, which was sanctioned by a bunch of cuckoos.

A rather sad day in the somewhat colourful history of Queensland as it was "back in the day" under Joe.

Destroyed by the Deene brothers. Also the Bellvue and many others. Their ad in the Brisbane yellow pages features a graphic of Cloudland and the words "Only the memories remain".

Smug bastards.

Oz talent

Allen Oxlade (6)
Look to summarise, I just can't see the Reds having that good a year. I hope they do. I think there have been some interesting calls made there in recent times and I hope they manage to turn it around.
I'm on the Tahs bandwagon for season 2016!

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Likely Reds line up to start the season:

1. Daley
2. S. Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Neville
6. Fakaosilea
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Frisby
10. McIntyre
11. CFS
12. Taefu
13. Kerevi
14. Nabuli
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Faagase
18. Talakai
19. Matwijou
20. H. Tui
21. Tuttle
22. A. Fainga'a
23. Goromaru

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)

1. Daley
2. S. Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Neville
6. Fakaosilea
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Frisby
10. McIntyre
11. CFS
12. Taefu
13. Kerevi
14. Nabuli
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Faagase
18. Talakai
19. Matwijou
20. H. Tui
21. Tuttle
22. A. Fainga'a
23. Goromaru
No Kuridrani?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

1. Daley
2. S. Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Neville
6. Fakaosilea
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Frisby
10. McIntyre
11. CFS
12. Taefu
13. Kerevi
14. Nabuli
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Faagase
18. Talakai
19. Matwijou
20. H. Tui
21. Tuttle
22. A. Fainga'a
23. Goromaru

I think Goromaru will start and Tongan Thor will be on the bench if for no other reason than marketing.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I think Goromaru will start and Tongan Thor will be on the bench if for no other reason than marketing.

Marketing?
When you start playing players for marketing reasons you will quickly find yourself playing for the spoon. Goromaru will potentially start however him or Tui are still yet to arrive in Brisbane. Also, who would you drop for Tongan Thor?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

1. Daley
2. S. Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Neville
6. Fakaosilea
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Frisby
10. McIntyre
11. CFS
12. Taefu
13. Kerevi
14. Nabuli
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Faagase
18. Talakai
19. Matwijou
20. H. Tui
21. Tuttle
22. A. Fainga'a
23. Goromaru

I'm assuming the Japanese players are benched because your list is one to start the season.

Also, Taefu. That is a huge call. I rate the kid and am surprised he didn't get some kind of contract over Lagi Setu considering his NRC form and combo with kerevi, but for that same reason there is no way he will be the 1st choice 12 for season opener.

Has he been training with the reds?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bryce Hegarty has gone to the Waratahs. Not too worried though it would have been nice to have one flyhalf with sold Super Rugby experience to call on.

We are pretty spoilt with young up and coming (potentially a loooong way up and coming)

Jake Mcintyre (21): AUS u20, QLD Reds
Sam Greene (21): AUS School Boys, QLDReds
Duncan Paiaáua (20)(utility): AUS u20, QLD Reds
James Dalgleish (20): AUS u20
Mack Mason(19): Churchie 1st XV, Storm u20, QLD Country, QLD u20 2016
Liam Moseley (17/18): Nudgee 1st XV, AUS Schoolboys, QLD u20 2016

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyone know of any Full squad/EPS contracted Reds that are eligible to play for the 2016 Qld u20 team?

ATM i can think of ...Thor, L.Tui, Tuttle, Magnay & Perese

Not sure about the 20 yr olds, can you still be 20 when you play?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From Premier Grade thread:

Yes I agree with all these comments, and there is no rush with Holmes still around for 1 more season. As it stands, I think this is the current standings of Reds props:

THP
1. Holmes
2. Talakai
3. Tupou

LHP
1. Slipper
2. Daley
3. Fa'agase
4 Paraka

Despite all the chat been about THP, LHP is probably the position up most for debate. Daley is ranked 2nd IMO, but that is more due to experience then his ability as it currently stands, with Slipper out injured i think Fa'agase and Paraka are a bit too inexperienced to be starting Super Rugby props from Rd1.

Agree with your THP rankings. Its nice to have a good group there. Add it to the Reds positives list!

LHP doesnt seem so obvious to me. Slipper at #1 ranking obviously. Daley? Im not sure he has been making enough of his chances and his #2 rank could be challenged. Agree with Fa'agase looking the goods but suspect that the coaching team last season were opting to Paraka.

Any reports on how they are travelling in training?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Anyone know of any Full squad/EPS contracted Reds that are eligible to play for the 2016 Qld u20 team?

ATM i can think of .Thor, L.Tui, Tuttle, Magnay & Perese

Not sure about the 20 yr olds, can you still be 20 when you play?
The newbies with some sort of contract currently training Reds u20 would be Reece Hewat (Aus Schoolboys 2014/15), Gavin Luka (Aus Schoolboys 2015), Dylan Riley (Aus Schoolboys & Aus youth sevens 2015), Liam Mosley (Aus Schoolboys 2015), Jayden Ngamanu (Aus Schoolboys & Aus youth sevens 2015).

T

TOCC

It is hard to judge from the sidelines, but I like Fa'agase, he seems to have a good technical understanding of scrummaging, and his work rate around the field is as good as any prop.

Paraka is a massive guy with a lot of potential, but I think he relies more on size then technique when he scrums, and he needs to improve his work rate around the field.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It is hard to judge from the sidelines, but I like Fa'agase, he seems to have a good technical understanding of scrummaging, and his work rate around the field is as good as any prop.

Paraka is a massive guy with a lot of potential, but I think he relies more on size then technique when he scrums, and he needs to improve his work rate around the field.

There you go, some words to explain my inchoate thinking. :)
In a LHP at this level I always thought its where you find the tricksters. Or at least excelence in technique and scrummage knowlegde, the laws, and importantly a grasp of what to do as inevitably ref interpretations start kicking in.

Contrary to the view that props are muscle bound meat heads, LHP needs quiet thinkers with emotional intelligence. (Slipper being close to perfect.)

Status
Not open for further replies.