• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Look to summarise, I just can't see the Reds having that good a year.

Eh, it depends on how you define a "good year". If your "good year" is making the finals after the couple of years we've had then you're setting yourself up for failure. I can't think of any team that's recovered from the bowels of the ladder to reach the top rungs within a season.

However, if you recognise there's been a significant change in player personal many of them are young and inexperienced at this level and define a "good year" as 50-60% win rate (much like the 2010 year). Chances are, you're expectations will probably be met.

I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread suggest anything you're pulling out, much the later of it, our heads are firmly on the ground. I personally think we can hover around the 7th - 8th spot with a chance of getting the wild card finals spot. But that's just me being hopeful.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I for one am looking forward to RG coming out after a few losses and announcing that we can still make the finals.

T

TOCC

I've said it before and il say it again, I look forwards to watching the Reds play regardless of who's coach, captain or waterboy..

I just want to see the Reds play entertaining and competitive rugby in 2016.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
The newbies with some sort of contract currently training Reds u20 would be Reece Hewat (Aus Schoolboys 2014/15), Gavin Luka (Aus Schoolboys 2015), Dylan Riley (Aus Schoolboys & Aus youth sevens 2015), Liam Mosley (Aus Schoolboys 2015), Jayden Ngamanu (Aus Schoolboys & Aus youth sevens 2015).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Farrel (o/s flank for 2015 QLD 2 AND AUS School Boys) and Kalala Meni (b/s flank for 2015 QLD 1 AND AUS School BaaBaas

both are at South Magpies along with Moseley and Ngamanu.

Also Mack Mason (Churchie FH/storm u20) signed a 2 year deal of some description, he is going for AUS un20 in 2016 aswell.

Throw in Bit units like THOR, Tui and Magnay.. could be an epic side.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
There is Perese too, Hewat and Luka still on rehab and not sure about Moseley?

yeh I threw Perese in with tuttle, thor, tui and magnay, all young enough to play un20 i think...also think DP wont turn 21 for a while still....depends on how they do the age cut off for u20, I think if you are still 20 you can play?

maybe fakasolia and the younger mafi hooker..

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Got to be born in year - 20 (so 1996) or after and have finished schooling to compete in the Junior World Championships. While I can see Ineligibles like Tupou playing, can't see any overagers being allowed to play.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ah ok, so born in 1996 and Aussie Citizen, so Tupou could NOT play Aus u20 unless he got citizenship?

so big L.Tui, James Tuttle, Campbell Maganay and Perese from the Reds squad, along with Alex Mafi could join the u20s players in 2016. Still pretty handy big guns to bring in!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ah ok, so born in 1996 and Aussie Citizen, so Tupou could NOT play Aus u20 unless he got citizenship?

so big L.Tui, James Tuttle, Campbell Maganay and Perese from the Reds squad, along with Alex Mafi could join the u20s players in 2016. Still pretty handy big guns to bring in!

You don't need to be an Australian citizen to play Under 20s. You just need to be Australian eligible. I don't think Taniela Tupou would be yet.

It is only the Olympics where you need to be a citizen.

T

TOCC

3 consecutive years of residency is what's required for eligibility under World Rugby regulations, so Taniela Tupou wouldn't be eligible until Dec 2017, in which case he will be too old anyway.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Without Reds A games, I'm positive they would let those eligible play in the u20 team.

Having the Aussie 'A' sides play in the Pacific Rugby Cup V the Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Japan and Arg 'A' teams was awesome.....The 2014 Final was Pampas V Reds A!
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/pacific-rugby-cup-final-reds-a-v-pampas-xv/

I understand we now have to put money aside for NRC and u20 Comps, which gives fantastic opportunities, but it seems a waste for the older non match day players to not get any game time at all.

T

TOCC

He took a dig at Nonu and Tom Taylor as well..

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
My psychic / wishful thinking, skills tell me we may read this one day.....

Quade & JOC (James O'Connor) to reunite on 2 yr contracts at the Reds in 2018, at the completion of their Toulon contracts, in attempt at WC bid. The dynamic but controversial duo failed to live up to the heightened expectations of Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal. The former wallabies will be joined by Will Genia, whom Wallaby Coach Cheika has continued to call upon for National duties thanks to the new eligibility rules. Genia previously had expressed interest in returning to the reds after his 3 year stade francais contract expired, but was released a year early for family reasons.

In further news, The Queensland Reds under new had coach Matt O'Connor, have expressed interest in bolstering their young backrow stocks and providing a solid example for upandcomers Adam Korczyke and Lolo Fakasolia, through the signing of either barnstorming for reds no.8 Leroy Houston, whose Bath contract expires in 2016, or former Reds & Wallabies no.6/8 Scott Higginbotham, a Gold Coast local with Business interests in Brisbane.

Heard it here first

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While I am a big Quade fan I think we need to move on. I'd like to think we'd have a guy cement his spot at 10 this year, be it Green of McIntyre.

JOC (James O'Connor) can stay overseas forever in my eyes.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
While I am a big Quade fan I think we need to move on. I'd like to think we'd have a guy cement his spot at 10 this year, be it Green of McIntyre.

JOC (James O'Connor) can stay overseas forever in my eyes.

For better or worse, I still think it will happen. I think Genia and either Higs or Houston are 100%, or I at least hope so, because that would be good.

I'm preaching Greene. Mcintyre is steady but I think Greene has a bit more potential to offer more, the fact that he's faster and heavier alone will count for something at Super Rugby level.

Kinda surprised Dalgleish never got a chance, still an AUS un20 flyhalf, but wouldn't be surprised to see Mason or Moseley carve up Qld u20 and then we all rave about them for 2017, especially if Mcintyre fails to wow.

Don't like saying a greenhorn 10 has to WOW, but we kinda really need him too, just like Rebels benefited from Debrazcini and TBH, looking at recent Aussie stars, if you're not a 'Wow' player at 21, then you're probs not going to be. Look at beale, JOC (James O'Connor), quade, Mcmahon, poey, Hoops, Simmons, Slipper, Sio, To'omua etc etc etc they were all pretty good already by the time they got to 21.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Marketing?
When you start playing players for marketing reasons you will quickly find yourself playing for the spoon. Goromaru will potentially start however him or Tui are still yet to arrive in Brisbane. Also, who would you drop for Tongan Thor?
I would not select based on marketing as it leads to failure. This does not mean it does not happen.

Just as bad is continuing to play popular and well paid under performing players. It is a similar issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.