• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Setu was eager but largely ineffective. He will be better for the experience and hopefully it will help his development but Gill straight swap for Setu at 7 and bench remains the same with Curtis as the backrow cover is my preference.

Gill will play 80 mins I am tipping.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Agreed, Browning is better able to cover 6 and 8 I think, so I'd stay with him as the bench back rower.

Setu is finding the step up from NRC pretty challenging judging on the games to date. IMO the Reds would go better to plan for him as Gill's understudy and develop him into a dedicated 7.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Agreed, Browning is better able to cover 6 and 8 I think, so I'd stay with him as the bench back rower.

Setu is finding the step up from NRC pretty challenging judging on the games to date. IMO the Reds would go better to plan for him as Gill's understudy and develop him into a dedicated 7.

Hard to develop 7's after coming from other backrow spots, just look at Browning's trouble. Butler is an example and that has taken several years to reach a point where he can very ably play there after coming from 6 or 8. It seems much easier to go the other way. Damn shame Gunn is out for the season, experience he gained this year would have been very valuable next season when he may be top 7.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will be interesting to see whether Lagi Setu (currently playing in the backrow at GPS) ends up overtaking Waita. Lagi was one of the best forwards when he played league for the Broncos in 2010 before commencing his 2-year mormon mission and then had a few short stints with NRL clubs in the last few years.

I haven't spoken to the bloke or read a lot about him but I would presume he's playing Union in order to crack a professional contract somewhere.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hard to develop 7's after coming from other backrow spots, just look at Browning's trouble. Butler is an example and that has taken several years to reach a point where he can very ably play there after coming from 6 or 8. It seems much easier to go the other way. Damn shame Gunn is out for the season, experience he gained this year would have been very valuable next season when he may be top 7.

Have we got any specific info on Gunn?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The Badge in his first interview with 7's alluded that he's very keen on having a crack at 7's and thereafter would prefer to stay in Australia for the foreseeable future. Worth a chat with the Reds honchos?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Slipper, S Fainga'a and Gill all back for the Reds this week. The forward pack just received a whole lot more of an advantage at scrum time. If Slipper and Fainga'a are to come of the bench, that would leave us with;

Faagase, Ready and Holmes to start with Slipper, Fainga'a and Talakai to come on. Also am hearing that D Paaiaua will be 24th man

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hell I'm looking forward to seeing Duncan Paaiaua back. I was really hoping that RG hadnt burned him.

Thats a seriously good looking scrum, lets hope our L/O is out of first gear. Add in a decent kicki g game from McIntyre with a backline matching last week, its sounding a lot better than it has for some time.

:)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hell I'm looking forward to seeing Duncan Paaiaua back. I was really hoping that RG hadnt burned him.

Thats a seriously good looking scrum, lets hope our L/O is out of first gear. Add in a decent kicki g game from McIntyre with a backline matching last week, its sounding a lot better than it has for some time.

:)

24th man.

He's been playing very well in club land.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Just worked out the significance of the no 24. Dopey bugger. Still happy to see him around.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm in Brisbane visiting family for this game, with the dismissal of RG I will be happily attending and bringing to two others as well to watch a noble loss to the Tahs.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Id say that Taefu has a way to go to show the sort of promise that Rasolea does. But with Taefu, Ant and Paiaua, and Hunt for that matter, another centre wouldnt be high on my list.

T

TOCC

Well Ant Fainga'a is off contract and will probably face a contract downgrade unless his form picks up, Kerevi is also off contract and attracting serious interest from interstate and overseas. Taefu has played 1 game and ha hardly proven he is up to Super Rugby standard.

With so many positions up for grab in 2017 why wouldn't they talk to Rasolea, he is a Brisbane boy and probably entertained the thought of coming home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This points to a general malais at the Reds.

Agree with your assessment of Taefu and Ant. Think we should treat Ant with a little respect, and that he is doing OK at the moment. But we should be honest in evaluating him.

Karevi, is a conundrum. He's not performing where he should, but is sparking up. Its not a good sign that we dont look to be able to hold him.

Yes then, they should be talking to Rasolea. It just doesnt feel very optimistic to be where we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.