• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

It's Ironic that a Japanese blindside is playing for Queensland and a Queenslander is playing for the Japanese team, but that's the reality of the modern game I guess.

Quirk was always going to be a contentious one, he promised so much potential for years but was never able to deliver at a consistent level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Jake Shatz injury is worse then first thought and he will be gone for the season with ACL tear

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Catching up on Stormers match now.

The first 15 minutes were incredibly embarrassing for our attack. How many awesome opportunities did we get gifted on turnovers there? It looked like nobody what the hell to do after the ball switched sides. Really feel like at least one of those opportunities would have been turned into a try by the Kiwi sides.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yup. The first and last XV weren't acceptable. Unfortunately I think we suffered again by having an ineffective 10.

No real alternatives in the squad so we just have to accept it. And recruit big time for next year.

T

TOCC

I really like the way Nabuli has improved, he is proving to be a great addition to the backline. He beats the first defender more often then not and his work rate has increased significantly since the first couple of rounds.

I also think Paia'ua added some spark when he came on as well and I'd like to see him get some more time off the bench.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah Nabuli it seems to me is an great athlete who clearly understands rugby fundamentals from his time on Fiji and has a basic understanding of playing on the edge from his league days.

What is doubly pleasing is that he seems to be rapidly developing the positional instincts of a good Rugby winger, certainly faster than I remember Tomane doing in his transition, or that Robinson is doing at the Tahs.

Also Browning had an good game at 8. Happy to finally see him play well in his favored spot.

Goromaru for me deserves to be shit canned. With the Reds down by 8 or something he received possession on the counter 10m in the attacking half and put in the most pointless kick straight to their 10 who returned with interest, giving the Stormers the territory advantage that they turned into a > 2 try lead. Shameful

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I really like the way Nabuli has improved, he is proving to be a great addition to the backline. He beats the first defender more often then not and his work rate has increased significantly since the first couple of rounds.

I also think Paia'ua added some spark when he came on as well and I'd like to see him get some more time off the bench.

I think Paia'ua will get more time to allow him to be Anthony's replacement next year and or Hunts if he moves to the centres.

He will start next season.

Nabuli has impressed the last few games, I like his wrapping around on the set piece, reminds me of Diggers getting involved a few years ago....if only we had a great 10 to run off and he could be deadly, speed of Diggers with a lot more size.

One thing I did like was the pissed off face on Gunn when he had to sub to allow a prop Holmes to return after the Yellow Card, if was passion for the field on his face.

No wins on the tour to the republic but plenty of things to be happy with.

This season was always about building for the future and I think we are slowly getting there, we just need a head coach in place NOW to recruit for the gaps

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ages ago I said I wouldnt abide winning but boring rugby. That a win was second to how we play. Careful what you wish for!

I'm liking the Reds from the last three or four games, much better than the first two. This co-coach thing, which I dont think is very comfortable, actually seems to be working. Enough to be thinking that the Reds management better make well sure if they bringin someone else, that they are actually better.

I take it they will split duties between the two NRC teams? That could be interesting!

Browning had a blinder. Thought our backs showed promise. Set piece is wavering? They need to buck up.

All in all, doing well, boys!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yup. The first and last XV weren't acceptable. Unfortunately I think we suffered again by having an ineffective 10.

No real alternatives in the squad so we just have to accept it. And recruit big time for next year.

Why are you back to that? It is far too easy to blame a single player rather than the fact that every single player who he could pass to was 10 to 15 metres behind the gain line. From that distance they'd need acceleration like Mr Bolt to make the line.

Now add in that the entire Australian conference seems to have problems actually hanging onto the ball. The amount of handling errors and just plain dropped ball from Australian teams is disgraceful.

The Reds have improved massively since Graham departed and McIntyre has played a big role when they have actually managed to hand onto the ball and actually attack with a decent structure.

Maybe McIntyre needs to demand more from his team mates, but for a 21 year old who has had his confidence rattled against players regarded as leaders like Slipper and Simmons, old hands like Fainga'a and Coke man that may well just get him told off. In which he just passes the ball where they tell him. In any case I would be hesitant to blame him for the lack of attack when there isn't anybody offering many options for him, and the one regular option (Kerevi) is now being heavily marked.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm a bit concerned over the signing of Timu beyond that of a injury cover (like Matwijow).

Does this mean
1) The Reds are NOT going to try for an off contract big gun like Houston or Higs?
2) They already tried but failed to get interest?
3) They have failed to get ARU permission to sign Tui again?
4) (my preference) Timu replaces Tui who goes to Sunwolves, and Higs/Houston come in for a departing Schatz or Browning?

I think it has to be a reason like this, as we already have 7 backrowers on the books (gill, Gunn, Tui, Korzyke, Fakasolia, Schatz & Browning) and the only one we KNOW we are losing is Gill...a totally different position.

T

TOCC

There will be turnover in the backrow ranks, a couple of players agents were emailing CV's to Europe before the season even started.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't think all those young guys will stay. I don't think we will keep too many players in the books just because they have 'potential'.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why are you back to that?

because I think it's still highly relevant, and again was shown in the Stormers match. Jake is doing his best, and from all reports, is a impressive guy. But...that I feel he was very poor in that opening stanza. Some really poor execution and option taking.

I am happy with every position 1-8 and 11-15 (as long as its Laloifi over CFS). Frisby is very good too, but is called on to do too much kicking because McIntyre's own limitations in kicking (lack of consistency and distance).

Now Jake is still young so we can't expect him to have the complete game, which is why I'm saying recruiting an experienced 10 (hopefully a goal kicker) is critical for 2017.

Until then we have to ride it out with what we've got. I maintain I'd like to see Greene given 2 or 3 games as a starter.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The amount of handling errors and just plain dropped ball from Australian teams is disgraceful.
I wonder if the theory, posted somewhere in these forums, about big kids being promoted along the pathways to the detriment of skilful kids, is bang on the money.
By the time the larger boys play against men, their size is no longer as important but the good ball handlers have been left behind in Colts or Grade with little opportunity to impress selectors.
I know coaches try to include ball handling in almost every drill or skill session but the lack of instinctive hand-eye coordination amongst many of our players is worrying.
However on the bright side the overall standards I believe have risen. When Mark Ella picked a pass off his bootlaces at full speed we all marvelled: it is a sight seen quite often during a Super season now.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
One thing that I have been banging on about for years is the poor quality of our kicking.

Good luck finding an Australian who can kick. Although Reece Hodge is looking pretty good.
still far too inconsistent - missed two critical touch finders on Friday, one resulted in about a 90m turnaround, 5 m line out to the Cheetahs rather than an attacking line out to the Rebels. Like Debrezcini, seems to lack concentration at times, but at least has the potential in that right leg

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I wonder if the theory, posted somewhere in these forums, about big kids being promoted along the pathways to the detriment of skilful kids, is bang on the money.
By the time the larger boys play against men, their size is no longer as important but the good ball handlers have been left behind in Colts or Grade with little opportunity to impress selectors.
I know coaches try to include ball handling in almost every drill or skill session but the lack of instinctive hand-eye coordination amongst many of our players is worrying.
However on the bright side the overall standards I believe have risen. When Mark Ella picked a pass off his bootlaces at full speed we all marvelled: it is a sight seen quite often during a Super season now.

I agree on this size issue. I was watching a teenager, about 16-17,plays #10, practising his goalkicking recently - nailing really big kicks so I was impressed. He attends a school that is a noted rugby school in Brisbane and apparently was told by the 1st XV coach that to make it to the top team he would need to really bulk up. Now the guy wasn't short, and was athletically lean. He looked like a pretty fit athlete, not a bodybuilder. I have no idea what his play was like outside of kicking so don't know whether he warranted being considered for a top team based on other skills but the size comment was shortsighted I thought.

To me a #10 does not need to be big. Look at a lot of the prominent 10's of recent and current times - Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden, Beauden Barrett, Quade Cooper, Larkham, Foley - none of these are heavily built guys- in fact Sapoaga from the Highlanders stands out as a bulky, muscled up 10. It shouldn't matter in the 10 position, that is particularly about skills. But if schoolboy coaches are telling players this and that is what they are selecting, then how do the talented players who aren't bulky enough get the opportunity to shine? If they get overlooked for the school teams how many of them are going to get the opportunity to get into representative teams etc?

I get the feeling that the schools are going for size so that they can bowl over other teams and claim the glory but are not really encouraging the development of the skills and then when the big boys aren't so big or fast compared to everyone else anymore they struggle and we end up with monoskilled robots.

B

Bobby Sands

Call me cynical but I don't believe Karmichael would have said that to some random bloke he bumped into at the barber.

We went to the same school if that helps (he was two years ahead), but no skin off my nose.

He was in Kingsley house, which was one of 16 at the time just as a piece of info I couldn't make up.

But yeah, I'm sure you all know better.

Go Richmond!

Status
Not open for further replies.