• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
He will be an English speaking Goromaru, plenty of skill and no idea of the playbook

From what we've seen this year, the playbook is all of 2-3 pages long. But in all honesty, you're over re-acting to what Leroy needs to learn. I'll just take a guy smacking other blokes to get us forward ball for a change.

With Leeroy signing, it's a massive shame to lose Gilly, having those two plus Tui will make for a very dynamic backrow! We'll only get to see them in action for what, 2 games?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I will be really surprised if he is in the final Wallabies squad. He should then get a few weeks with the Reds while the internationals are played out. If he impresses in those few games he may be a chance for the TRC. EOYT may be a more realistic scenario though unless injuries hit.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno - Cheika has obviously been very influential in bringing him back. Maybe he is looking down the track, but he clearly likes what Houston brings to the table.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I had a look at his highlights package and I just love where he clocks up his metres. I love the way he throws players around and I love the tackle on quade.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Wallabies related - Fardy has the most to lose from his selection. Pocock and Hooper are bound to start which makes selecting McMahon a tough call. Looks like provides a lot of the same benefits without weakening the set piece. I see why Cheika is a fan.

Big signing for the Reds.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure on that. As good as Hooper is, I always reckon that Fardy's contribution is seriously underrated.

It is also a question of how the backrow is best balanced.

I think it is the same for the Reds. The thing I find interesting is that I would have thought Tui is currently doing to role we would want Houston to play, and has been doing it pretty well. But hey - not a bad problem to have.

So far, Cheika has helped deliver Douglas & Houston to the Reds. Gotta say I am liking his work.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Is it just me or does Bath's latest signing of Amanaki Mafi push a Leroy Houston return? They now have 8 First team quality backrowers including Francois Loew, Toby Faulatau, Alafoti Faosiliva and Dave Denton.
8 does not go into 3 and I have a sneaky suspicion one of the current crop will have to go

December 30th 2015
Called it.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
From what I can see from his highlights posted by Sully above - he certainly takes advantage of a much slower game over there.

If we did sign him balance in our back row would be paramount. I can't see him lasting 80 in Super Rugby any time soon and I think Curtis Browning's spot is safe.

I suppose it makes sense considering that Cheika has selected Palu and Powell also who have only really played bench minutes this season, so it's not like Cheika necessarily thinks he could go for a whole match at a much higher tempo.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
From what I can see from his highlights posted by Sully above - he certainly takes advantage of a much slower game over there.

If we did sign him balance in our back row would be paramount. I can't see him lasting 80 in Super Rugby any time soon and I think Curtis Browning's spot is safe.

I suppose it makes sense considering that Cheika has selected Palu and Powell also who have only really played bench minutes this season, so it's not like Cheika necessarily thinks he could go for a whole match at a much higher tempo.

Agreed, looks pretty pedestrian - his conditioning doesn't look too flash in that video either - plenty of grunt but can't see him running around too much with that bulk. Happy to be proven wrong and I guess the training squad will allow a chance to see how he goes.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Agreed, looks pretty pedestrian - his conditioning doesn't look too flash in that video either - plenty of grunt but can't see him running around too much with that bulk. Happy to be proven wrong and I guess the training squad will allow a chance to see how he goes.
I don't think he looks any different from when he played for us before.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I was actually surprised with his line out skills in the clip. He's a big guy but seems to explode into the air. I actually think it's more his body shape rather than his conditioning. He doesn't have a really athletic rig but uses what he has to great ability.

The more I've been thinking about it the more I'm liking the signing. The issue, like others have mentioned, is going to be balance. We need a quality 7 for next year. I'm hopeful Gunn has a big NRC and off season as I think he may need to add a few kgs to be Super quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I like the signing too but was left wondering how Big Skel would look over there.

@Jets like your thoughts re body shape, eases my mind somewhat.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I was actually surprised with his line out skills in the clip. He's a big guy but seems to explode into the air. I actually think it's more his body shape rather than his conditioning. He doesn't have a really athletic rig but uses what he has to great ability.

The more I've been thinking about it the more I'm liking the signing. The issue, like others have mentioned, is going to be balance. We need a quality 7 for next year. I'm hopeful Gunn has a big NRC and off season as I think he may need to add a few kgs to be Super quality.

We're signing McMahon for next year and beyond remember? :D

On Leroy but, he doesn't look much different to when he left here other than the obvious few years that he has matured. He was what, 24 when he left? A bit younger than Schatz is now and a bit older than Browning is. Big bodied backrowers take time to grow into their size and 'harden up'. I'm hoping he is where we thought he'd get to but the best part is he is a natural physical 8. He's always relished contact, loves hitting hard in defence etc. You can't teach that.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Like the Leroy signing - strengthens backrow bigtime.

When last at the reds I think Fitness was always a problem. Hopefully he can adjust from NH rugby to SH rugby, and very quickly.

Think Shatz was up for renewal this year and it will be interesting to see if he re-signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.