• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Sam Greene has signed with Toyota Verblitz in Japan for 2 years which means his services to Queensland Rugby for now are over - big loss for the future of the Reds. This means that Quade must be coming home.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I have visions of Black Thunders on the sideline giving away icy cold cans of drink and commentary by Davo, Shazza and Higgsy.
People started complaining about the "We Are Red" chant so eventually it was killed off. Now the away fans make more noise during the matches.

So hopefully he has a few ideas on how to reverse that. Personally, I wouldn't complain if the cheerleaders cane back.

51efad5c5dd25f4aadca6623055380ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
People started complaining about the "We Are Red" chant so eventually it was killed off. Now the away fans make more noise during the matches.

So hopefully he has a few ideas on how to reverse that. Personally, I wouldn't complain if the cheerleaders cane back.

51efad5c5dd25f4aadca6623055380ff.jpg

Away fans occasionally have something to cheer about.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Not great news coming out of Ballymore here:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/2e334410bffb24d58324ab65913f675f

“You don’t have to be Einstein to realise revenues have slipped with the crowd numbers at Suncorp Stadium,” QRU chairman Damien Frawley said recently.

I would imagine you do not have to be Einstein to realise that when the teams performance started to collapse with many of the same players that you may need to review the coaches performance.

It is a shame what has happened over the last few seasons, hopefully the new regime can get us on the right track.

As much as I like having a great forward pack and love watching the hard stuff up front I am aware that we need to have excitement and slick backs moves to get bums on seats.

We probably have about three tries worthy of making a marketing campaign all season as opposed to three a game a few years ago.

T

Train Without a Station

What that article also shows is that RH's doom and gloom is unfounded.

They are forecasting a $1M profit for 2016.

Part of the 2015 loss was actually a significant hike in costs.

Revenue actually grew by $1M 2014 to 2015 but expenditure increase by $3.4M. Part of that was through "Commercial", "Game Development & Operations" and "Corporate". Potentially areas where these redundancies have been targeted.

This looks to specifically target where the blowout in 2015 actually was.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I suspect those commercial, game development and corporate bills are creative ways of saying we paid way too fucking much for JOC (James O'Connor), QC (Quade Cooper) etc. last year

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Whatever happened to those drums that used to be at Suncorp? I'm not talking about the crappy drumming/booawwwwwwwwwwwwww noise that would come over the speakers, but there was a bunch of guys/gals banging the drums behind the goal posts?

T

Train Without a Station

Hammtertime, so you're accusing the Reds of falsifying financial records and also cheating the ARU mandated salary cap?

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
people complained so that got nixed
Maybe the people complaining should've been the ones who got nixed.

Those guys were good value. Would play my requests anyway but I think they were chopped around the end of 2007 or 08 too.

They do have a big kettle drum at the Broncos matches these days though.
And cheerleaders, and a bloke who tells the crowd when to start yelling "Let's Go Broncos"....

They also have decent crowds.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
As much as I like having a great forward pack and love watching the hard stuff up front I am aware that we need to have excitement and slick backs moves to get bums on seats.

We probably have about three tries worthy of making a marketing campaign all season as opposed to three a game a few years ago.

Not only do you need it for entertainment value, you also need it to be successful in Super Rugby. I believe they go hand and hand at this level. Watching a number of NZ derbies this year, the quality of the rugby is on another level. The phase play stretches 4-5 mins of fast, skillful attacking play, going at it like you just don't see with Aussie sides. I get that the Reds new 'identity' is the scrum (Slipper and Simmons plastered over Ballymore HQ), but seriously when this strategy was formulated, did they even think about how successful Super teams play? RG's last presser after the Force loss where he and Simmons were completely devoid of ideas and stunned that no points or 'cards' came from scrum dominance summarised how warped the thinking had become.

Tahs showed against the Chiefs how you have to play and it was like watching a new team.

I've said it a million times, the Reds set-piece reliance is not a successful long term gameplan, it soaks up clock and does not promote the game well. The players end up unfit from standing around all the time. The last 20 of nearly every game this year has been appalling (blame the bench if you want, but you don't have 15 replacements coming on).

The financial woes are a symptom of an organisation that has not had any accountability, and are now paying for it. This is supposed to be a professional sports team in a results-driven business. I can't fathom how this has been allowed to continue for 3 years. I feel like private owners would not have allowed this to get this far.

Hopefully the new CEO has a vision for Queensland rugby and is willing to make the tough calls in order to get there. Coaching staff is critical. Recruitment decisions that align with the style of play rather than cheap short term marketing ploys. On-field success (challenging for the title) will only be possible once the mentality changes and all supporting functions align with the vision (that is built on proven success).

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Not only do you need it for entertainment value, you also need it to be successful in Super Rugby.

It's kind of interesting when you compare the 'entertainment' standard rugby game offers an individual, group of friends or family's. Currently in Australia, a pre-game of Under 20's/school kids before the game + some stupid skills games are all the entertainment outside of the 'real game' we get. Compare that with say the NFL or the Premier league games and you'll find that groups of people and families make these into all day/evening events. Granted, a lot of that surrounds drinking i.e. the tailgating at College games is notorious for that. However, Aussie crowds across all codes head to the game and then leave the second they can beat the rush to the train.

I raise this because Suncorp unlike most Rugby/Football/AFL stadiums is located literally in the heart of Brisbane. There's a huge entertainment precinct full of pubs and food joints that depend on this foot track. However, the QRU/Broncos and Roar don't really appear to engage with them and colluede with ways to turn their product into a multi-facet entertainment product. It's simply left for the individual to work out what to do.

If you change it to be an event that's 4-5 hours in length compared to 2, more people will be inclined to buy a ticket knowing they'll get more value out of it. Hell, the Milton Markets on Cribb St are killing it on a Sunday night. So why doesn't the Codes try and work with those organisers to have a Saturday night market similar to Eat Street?

Or you know, they could subsides the mid-strength beers and rumbo's and tell the overzealous security guards to let Suncorp turn into the Hong Kong 7's.

I also do chuckle that the Reds just fired the backroom staff who are trying their best to polish a turd but Dick Graham was even another year at a higher salary because he's a well 'liked guy'.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ignoto, great in theory but obviously the stadium and the footy codes want more people inside the stadium eating and drinking (so they get the rebates) rather than outside, where they get nothing.

But you are right in saying that the caterers need to be pressured hard by the tenants of the stadium to come up with better products at better prices.

Oh, and I don't chuckle at people losing their jobs. It's a sad state of affairs for the game

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Agree with that about the caterers.

It looks like the new Gourmet Grill in the Members Bar pretty much has the full range of James Squire available but at $9.50 a bottle you're not to entice too many punters away from Caxton St or wherever.

Maybe they should return to running a "beer of the week" deal in the members where a particular beer is $8 for the 2 hours before kick off.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
obviously the stadium and the footy codes want more people inside the stadium eating and drinking (so they get the rebates) rather than outside, where they get nothing.

In round numbers, how much are the rebates?

But you are right in saying that the caterers need to be pressured hard by the tenants of the stadium to come up with better products at better prices.

Nah.

Just let them lose their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.