• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm not saying they wont ever be good enough. None of them have demonstrated that they are good enough at this point in time.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
And i know it might be unreasonable but im not looking for a flyhalf who is passable at Super Level. I want a flyhalf who can lead us to our 2nd super Rugby Title, i want a Cooper, foley, To'omua, Barrett, Cruden, Carter, Pollard. At Worst i would accept a Sopoaga.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Just on the Peter, it seems that the Kiwis have an almost limitless depth at flyhalf. Surely the promise of a starting gig and an address in little Christchurch would be enough to tempt one who isn't getting the opportunities in NZ? When you look at guys like Ihaia West, Marty Banks etc that have come through its just astonishing how many good 10's they have.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Wayne Smith's article in today's Australian:
Here’s a scenario no one expected that could yet come to pass — Quade Cooper and Richard Graham, star playmaker and embattled head coach, both remaining with the Queensland Reds next season.
In defiance of French media reports last week that he already had signed with Toulon, reports that both Cooper and the Queensland Rugby Union immediately disputed, the glamour Reds five-eighth and his manager Khoder Nasser met yesterday with Wallabies coach Michael Cheika.
At that meeting Cheika put what a senior Australian Rugby Union spokesman described as “quite a compelling proposition” on the table to keep Cooper playing for the Reds and the Wallabies next season. The package also has been described in less formal terms by ARU insiders as “massive”.
By contrast, few critics gave Graham any hope of surviving as Reds coach after two losing seasons but it is understood the QRU is leaning towards re-signing him for next season, even at the risk of it triggering a massive fan backlash.
Their belief is that Graham’s modest seven from 24 record in Perth should not be held against him as all Force coaches have struggled and that he also deserves to be cut some slack this season because the Reds have been decimated by injury.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wow, that is some selective thinking...

Still, using QRU logic and ignoring this year's results (injury) and the force results (historically poor), that leaves 2014 as a valid measurement: 5 wins from 16 games (31.25%) which is still shit.

Can't understand the QRU's thinking.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Rod Kafer has talked a lot about Folau moving to 12 to pair with Kuridrani which opens up the 15 spot.

Is this what Cheika has in mind too which may open up some opportunity to Quade ?

In any event ...I hate Nick Frisby at 10 - He's the logical successor to Genia at 9.

At this stage and depending on the NRC season I'd go with Sam Greene as my back up 10 on the assumption that Quade stays.

Feaui - Sautia and Kerevi as the preferred Centre pairing , JOC (James O'Connor) and Lach on the wings and Hunt at 15.

Hanson should be the starting 2 . Slipper is your Loose Head and Greg Holmes is likely your tight head ...although we really need to blood new talent at the 2 and 3 spots .

I liked Marco Kotzke the best out of the " support lock stock" this season ( so far ) He's got a mean steak and plays with some balls. I'd have him with Simmo as my locks

The elephant in the room is our shithouse back row which has been shithouse and outperformed for the last
couple of seasons . We miss Higgers and we miss Samo.

Gill is a given but the 8 and 6 spots have been a big worry and frankly ...Schatz , Quirk and Browning aren't good enough. OK enough players but without the impact of Messam,Kaino, Potgeiter, Burger , McMahon , Palu , Fardy....you could go on....

Adam Thomson has been a good keep the seat warm type of option and has been productive but it's time for Adam Korczck to step up at 6 ( and as our equal 2nd or 3rd line out option ) and ....gulp ....Lolo Fakaosilea at No 8

If Fakaosilea can direct his focus properly and keep his head screwed on he has the chance to be the true successor to Wycliffe Palu in another 1 to 2 seasons . The next 6 to 9 months will be extremely telling for this guy and the future is there for him if he can grasp it. True power player in its purest form

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Rod Kafer has talked a lot about Folau moving to 12 to pair with Kuridrani which opens up the 15 spot.

Is this what Cheika has in mind too which may open up some opportunity to Quade ?

In any event .I hate Nick Frisby at 10 - He's the logical successor to Genia at 9.

At this stage and depending on the NRC season I'd go with Sam Greene as my back up 10 on the assumption that Quade stays.

Feaui - Sautia and Kerevi as the preferred Centre pairing , JOC (James O'Connor) and Lach on the wings and Hunt at 15.

Hanson should be the starting 2 . Slipper is your Loose Head and Greg Holmes is likely your tight head .although we really need to blood new talent at the 2 and 3 spots .

I liked Marco Kotzke the best out of the " support lock stock" this season ( so far ) He's got a mean steak and plays with some balls. I'd have him with Simmo as my locks

The elephant in the room is our shithouse back row which has been shithouse and outperformed for the last
couple of seasons . We miss Higgers and we miss Samo.

Gill is a given but the 8 and 6 spots have been a big worry and frankly .Schatz , Quirk and Browning aren't good enough. OK enough players but without the impact of Messam,Kaino, Potgeiter, Burger , McMahon , Palu , Fardy..you could go on..

Adam Thomson has been a good keep the seat warm type of option and has been productive but it's time for Adam Korczck to step up at 6 ( and as our equal 2nd or 3rd line out option ) and ..gulp ..Lolo Fakaosilea at No 8

If Fakaosilea can direct his focus properly and keep his head screwed on he has the chance to be the true successor to Wycliffe Palu in another 1 to 2 seasons . The next 6 to 9 months will be extremely telling for this guy and the future is there for him if he can grasp it. True power player in its purest form
Thompson has been good but the last two games seems to spend more time on the wing that Higgers used to

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
By contrast, few critics gave Graham any hope of surviving as Reds coach after two losing seasons but it is understood the QRU is leaning towards re-signing him for next season, even at the risk of it triggering a massive fan backlash.

Don't Queenslanders like winning anymore? Are the cash reserves at QRU too high?

Could this is an evil plan concocted by those south of the Tweed to significantly increase the playing rosters of the Force, Rebels and Ponies as they rush to sign up all the disgruntled* Reds coming off contract, and future Reds wanting to avoid being tainted by association with RG.

PS:
dis-, prefix that is added to the front of words to form their opposite.
Disgruntled, adj, angry, dissatisfied or discontent.

Have you ever heard of someone being described as being gruntled, to indicate that they were happy or satisfied with their lot?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
PS:
dis-, prefix that is added to the front of words to form their opposite.
Disgruntled, adj, angry, dissatisfied or discontent.

Have you ever heard of someone being described as being gruntled, to indicate that they were happy or satisfied with their lot?

Seems google has an interesting feature for definition searches now that displays the use over time of a word. Here is 'gruntled':

692c7ce844e145e7f6802d7a5068d0dd.jpg

https://books.google.com/ngrams/gra...,gruntled;,c0;,s0;;gruntled;,c0;;Gruntled;,c0

Looks to have peaked in the 40s and is on its way back now, though that may just be a mass of people asking this very question.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I would be absolutley gruntled if Quade stays, or alternatively we signed one of those kiwi flyhalfs, but with Thomson locking down that Foreign Marquee player slot i dont think we can get one.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Well then i suppose that solves that Issue. our options then are Zack Holmes, Bryce Hegarty, Ben Volavola, David Horwitz, Simon Hickey, Lima Sopoaga, Marty Banks, Hayden Parker, James Marshall, and obviously players like Paia'aua, Macintyre, Dalgleish, Greene etc. Im sure that alot of those kiwi player will end up bieng re-signed eg. Sopoaga but those are the ones who are currently off contract.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The only reason we should grab a foreign flyhalf is if we lose quade and feel the need to bring in an experienced head to help the young guys develop over a year or two. Guys like Hickey and banks shouldn't be looked at, we will need to develop a 5-10 year flyhalf, not help along a kiwi for a year or two than have to start again.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The Reds can't seriously be thinking of re-signing Graham?!?!???

I think the long term plan is to get the wooden spoon just before Super Rugby expansion occurs, this will allow the most improvement possible in the following years.

this is the only possible logical reason I can think of.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It is a shame as part of membership we dont get access to a Reds forum or some other way of the Reds knowing that it is actually a financial member wishing to complain about the state of affairs.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It is a shame as part of membership we dont get access to a Reds forum or some other way of the Reds knowing that it is actually a financial member wishing to complain about the state of affairs.
After the Tahs fan forum I thought we agreed to never use the 'F' words in a Reds context? ;)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the long term plan is to get the wooden spoon just before Super Rugby expansion occurs, this will allow the most improvement possible in the following years.

this is the only possible logical reason I can think of.

It will be something special indeed if we go from winners in the first year of super 15 to wooden spooners in the final year of super 15. First to last in a five year comp. Unreal.

EDIT: and just when you think the fall from grace is finished they add 3 new teams, re-sign RG and then give us a nudge to fall even lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.