• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Please don't mention RG's name any more in this thread.
This is REDS 2016, and hopefully he has no further part in it.

More than happy to when he is gone but the sad reality is that he is still there. Got to keep the pressure up if you want him gone.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Perhaps no further part in it (but I'll believe it when I see it) but his legacy will surely continue to haunt the Reds through 2016.

And beyond, awful though it is.

Let's recall: Liink made it clear from late 2012/early 2013 that RG would from that time be in charge of squad planning and general recruitment. Logical, as he was to take over in 2014.

So RG has had effective control of Reds squad policies for 3 seasons, or near to. (That's one of the reasons last year's widely trumpeted end of season excuse that 'our squad had not been upgraded enough since 2011' was so disingenuous and evading of responsibility and a marker for the decline in the integrity of Ballymore's honesty with itself, a decline that was to markedly worsen in 2015.)

Assuming a change of coach occurs now, and that coach is of the competence and experience we'd all hope for, and yet with the squad he'll inherit, the absolutely best the Reds could credibly aim for next year is some solid improvement on 2014/5, say around 8-9 in a table of (now) 18 teams. We just haven't got the players anymore to get higher, and the culture etc. will take time to rebuild.

Assuming a high degree of squad re-design and rebuilding (and much better coaching from a much better total coaching group), it's 2017 and perhaps more realistically 2018 in which we could, with some logic, hope for a potential S18 Finals position.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Assuming a change of coach occurs now, and that coach is of the competence and experience we'd all hope for, and yet with the squad he'll inherit, the absolutely best the Reds could credibly aim for next year is some solid improvement on 2014/5, say around 8-9 in a table of (now) 18 teams. We just haven't got the players anymore to get higher, and the culture etc. will take time to rebuild.

Assuming a high degree of squad re-design and rebuilding (and much better coaching from a much better total coaching group), it's 2017 and perhaps more realistically 2018 in which we could, with some logic, hope for a potential S18 Finals position.

The Reds, Brumbies & Waratahs were all pretty ordinary and, in the case of the Reds and Brumbies, lacked big name players, prior to the respective appointments of Link, White and Cheika. The turn around in all 3 was pretty impressive. If they get the coaching selection right, who knows - maybe there is significant upside in the current roster.

The problem, of course, is that is a best case scenario and very heavily reliant on the QRU displaying the sort of astute judgement that has largely seemed absent in the last 2-3 yrs.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The Reds, Brumbies & Waratahs were all pretty ordinary and, in the case of the Reds and Brumbies, lacked big name players, prior to the respective appointments of Link, White and Cheika. The turn around in all 3 was pretty impressive. If they get the coaching selection right, who knows - maybe there is significant upside in the current roster.

The problem, of course, is that is a best case scenario and very heavily reliant on the QRU displaying the sort of astute judgement that has largely seemed absent in the last 2-3 yrs.

Yes. And my emerging fear is that the current QRU elite are poised to make just the same type of mistake they made with the 2012 appointment of RG, namely rushing at a new HC choice based upon the comfort they seem to get from 'quick choices and major announcements and now the whole matter's resolved and we'll build hype and PR around the new guy convincing the members that fantastic things now await.....in the next year.'

Meanwhile, Grumbles Growden is reporting that Knuckles is lobbying hard to take over as HC = make of that what you will.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Officially been leaked one of the potential signings to be announced at the Gala ball.

Reds favourites to snare the signature of Kane Douglas

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is the rumoured signing intended to be from next year thus making him eligible for the Wallabies for the RWC?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
depends on the dates of the contract. Elsom did something similar when he returned to Oz

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
Really? I hope we don't break the bank picking him up. He'd be a very good pick up at the right price though.

Didn't think lock was a position Reds were desperate for (Simmons, Neville, Kotze are Super standard; Murday not too far behind) but wouldn't say no to a Wallabies forward for cheap!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
As good for Australian rugby as it is for the Reds. I'd be pretty happy if I was a Reds supporter, I don't rate Neville much.

B

Bobby Sands

Douglas would be a ripping signing!

Douglas and Simmo have been the long-term Australian locks since time began.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Talk about (expensive) slight of hand. What the hell is happening with the HC?!?

Don't be sucked in by the (largely) irrelevant side show guys.

Time for the freaking QRU to come clean. Jesus. Our big statement at the Galah is a lock signing? Come on, where do you start explaining your depression with this? (I know you share it.)

B

Bobby Sands

Don't we always whinge about the tight 5?

Now we want a winger / flyhalf....

sigh..

You take the best players available, when they are available, in the positions you need. I know he has been gone a year, but he is still Australian, with a top-up no less.

T

TOCC

Douglas wants to return to oz because of his pregnant girlfriend, who happens to be from Brisbane..

Reds are well short of depth at lock for 2016 so Kane would be a good signing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.