• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I am amazed the coach hasn't been sorted out already, picking his support staff without him? meh

fp - half the problem re the procedural/sequencing mess the QRU is in over the HC matter arises from the fact that, up to the disaster that was the Reds defeat v Crusaders, the QRU board was determined to keep RG on as HC in 2016. Before that seeming turning point, the QRU was leaking to its most compliant journos that RG would be back next year as HC.

Post Christchurch the penny seemed at last to drop that there were after all serious issues with RG's coaching and man management practices and, just possibly, change was required (though perhaps there was still a role for RG somewhere).

In parallel with all this going on and prior to it, obviously recruitment conversations were being had with the likes of Thorn and Marsh negotiating with them to join the Reds staff in 2016. These conversations were likely not premised either way on an HC change.

So we have today a 'half committed to and built' 2016 Reds coaching group. And going by the QRU's course and style of conduct to date, it's very unlikely they will choose a new HC of the bold type that will insist on a 'clean page' re his whole 2016 Reds coaching group with the right to sack anyone there now or contracted and bring in just whom he wished.

(One final coda: it's still to this day not confirmed that RG is leaving as HC and/or leaving in all other possible capacities with the QRU.)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, but what value is there in not getting information out?

it's a review of the whole high performance program:

As this is a far-reaching review which includes long-term planning around the QRU’s existing elite pathway strategies as well as the Reds

who's the say the coach hasn't been appointed but they are finalising the other elements? I reckon the pathway program needs a lot of work to be honest. Perhaps they are finalising that? Australian Schoolboys titles just finished as did the Jnr State Champs. Perhaps they were part of the review?

You would think announcing the coach would be advantageous, but he could well be appointed already (or under the final stages of negotiation) and being involved in player recruitment etc, until they make the big announcement at the Gala which, to be fair, needs a bit of a hook to gain some profile considering the year they've had.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
News from twitter re Quade..

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 12.16.58 pm.png

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
(One final coda: it's still to this day not confirmed that RG is leaving as HC and/or leaving in all other possible capacities with the QRU.)

Yeah, absolutely baffling that he has any possibility of being HC next season

Using the Tahs example, player retention drove them to announce Gibson early (well that was what the papers were saying), so incumbent players and possible signings knew what they were getting themselves into.

Why would players thinking about leaving or coming not be influenced by the new coach?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
it's a review of the whole high performance program:

who's the say the coach hasn't been appointed but they are finalising the other elements? I reckon the pathway program needs a lot of work to be honest. Perhaps they are finalising that? Australian Schoolboys titles just finished as did the Jnr State Champs. Perhaps they were part of the review?

You would think announcing the coach would be advantageous, but he could well be appointed already (or under the final stages of negotiation) and being involved in player recruitment etc, until they make the big announcement at the Gala which, to be fair, needs a bit of a hook to gain some profile considering the year they've had.

Reg - agree with a lot of that.

Trouble is the pathway must lead to somewhere.

This is a case where the problem needs to be looked at from the top down not the other way around

dru

Tim Horan (67)
As a 'middle child' growing up and then a lock all through my playing days, I have experienced middle child syndrome well into adulthood as opposed to the usual adolescent period. So my reaction to this sort of post is probably predictable.

Good locks are fucking important!!!

...erm. Carry on.

Yeah, sure. And I WAS a critique of the lock depth we started 2015 with. And I don't mind getting an offer to Kane set all. But honest, we have been set up for "big announcements" at the Galah. Everyone is hanging on for what is to happen with HC. It's nothing but managing expectations.

When the hell are they going to explain HC?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Taps going (Force for 2 years) but Browning and CFS staying.

Queensland Rugby Union has re-signed St.George Queensland Reds young guns Curtis Browning and Chris Feauai-Sautia ahead of the 2016 season.

Feauai-Sautia has inked a two-year deal with the club, while Browning has signed a contract extension for one year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I am hopeful that this means the players at least know who the new head coach is and are backing the selection (which I assume means it's not RG).

I just don't understand why they wouldn't announce it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After @RugbyReg's recent update, that leaves these from 2015 Team Red as unknown:

Off Contract at end of 2015
Quade Cooper (likely to be signed by Toulon)
Beau Robinson (loose forward)
Adam Thomson (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward)
Hendrik Tui (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward)
Richard Graham (Coach)

Unsigned/Unknown for 2016
Pettowa Paraka (prop) 2015 EDS
Ed O'Donoghue (lock)
Marco Kotze (lock) 2015 EDS
Ed Quirk (loose forward)
Jake Schatz (loose forward)
Lolo Fakosilea (loose forward) 2015 EPS
Scott Gale (halfback) 2015 Short Term Contract
Jake McIntyre (flyhalf) 2015 EDS
Sam Greene (flyhalf) 2015 Short Term Contract
Samu Kerevi (centre)
Lachlan Turner (winger)
Tom Banks (winger) 2015 Short Term Contract

Still a few announcements that can be made at the Galah Ball.

See the first post on Page 1 of this thread for an updated list of who has signed for Reds 2016.
Edited. Thanks RugbyReg.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I am hopeful that this means the players at least know who the new head coach is and are backing the selection (which I assume means it's not RG).

I just don't understand why they wouldn't announce it.

Mate - it would have leaked if players knew.. Maybe not if only 2 or 3 of the senior guys were on the loop.

I reckon Carmichael and company are playing this one real close to their chests.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
- Reply to an earlier post I can't find:

McDuling was on a full contract, you can blame Cordingly for that mess. He was keen to stay and repay their faith but they made it impossible apparently. Sharks came knocking with a firm offer and a actual plan to develop him as a tighthead lock. Best of luck to him.... after a couple of Currie Cup seasons as well as Super rugby hopefully he will find his way back.

I think I read or heard somewhere that Gale was off to the Brumbies... not 100% sure though.

Glad Browning has been signed after originally being told he wasn't required.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
AAAAj, so true.

But sometimes I found when riding my Malvern Star bike it was easier to control an uphill ascent as opposed to a freefalling, uncontrolled descent without the luxury of brakes.:)
Nah. The exhilaration of manic descent is like no other. I won't comment further on uphill ascending. ;)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Mate - it would have leaked if players knew.. Maybe not if only 2 or 3 of the senior guys were on the loop.

I reckon Carmichael and company are playing this one real close to their chests.
You would assume so. I'm just trying to be optimistic.

For all my concerns, there have been some positive steps - not the least being the signing of Marsh, as well as the re-signing of Gill, Browning etc.

But it still leaves uncertainty around the biggest peice of the puzzle.

T

Train Without a Station

- Reply to an earlier post I can't find:

McDuling was on a full contract, you can blame Cordingly for that mess. He was keen to stay and repay their faith but they made it impossible apparently. Sharks came knocking with a firm offer and a actual plan to develop him as a tighthead lock. Best of luck to him.. after a couple of Currie Cup seasons as well as Super rugby hopefully he will find his way back.

I think I read or heard somewhere that Gale was off to the Brumbies. not 100% sure though.

Glad Browning has been signed after originally being told he wasn't required.

I'm not sure what to blame Cordingly for? McDuling played 12 games since the start of 2012. That's 3 games per year in his time. He has not had a season where he wasn't unavailable for multiple games due to injury.

Surely not offering a contract was the right move in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.